iMac vs Toshiba?

15 posts in this topic

ok... thanks for the help

what i'm worried about is if they will run the next os? will the toshiba run Vienna and will the iMac run 10.6? i guess we won't know till that time comes huh?

Judging by how the requirements for OSs have increased substantially for each release, I would put my bet on 'No' for both, as most likely Jobs will drop G4 support for 10.6 as he wants people to move to Intel machines, and Vienna will probably need more resources than Vista as they transition to the 'next great OS' which I still dont think will be for at least another 5 years at the current rate :/.

Hopefully Microsoft can get their act together, but meh.

Apple last year said they'd supprt PPC for FIVE years. Thats about 4 years left. I doubt they'd throw away the G4 until at least two years remain, simply because it is very similar to the G5.

The Altivec engine is why they are so similar, and why code between them is pretty equal. The G5 was kind of only designed for faster clock speeds, but otherwise has few improvements. So I'd even say it would be OK at least for 10.7, but that's just me.

Take comfort in the fact that when that happens (when the G4 is dropped, I mean) you could sell your machine and "upgrade" to a compatible one for relatively cheap...maybe $150 max.

And it would be faster than the Celery, yes.

If I were you, I would buy the iMac. You'll love it!

Honestly I don't know. but if there is one piece of advice I can give anyone it is : do NOT buy a toshiba laptop. They are {censored}.

not always true...I have an old 498 mhz tecra 8100 and it works great for occasional internet, playing snes or nes emulators, or watching movies that are on my server

haha, off topic but those look like the guys form veggie tales, man that show is the best show ever, i remember watching it in church as a little kid and now when i help in the kids department i pop it in for the little ones. memories.

haha, off topic but those look like the guys form veggie tales, man that show is the best show ever, i remember watching it in church as a little kid and now when i help in the kids department i pop it in for the little ones. memories.

You are correct