Confused about what to do after installing OSX86 through VMWare...

6 posts in this topic

Right-click the Windows icon and select copy.

Right click the copied icon and select Properties.

change its name

click on Partitions. Select the correct partition and then click the "active" checkbox.

save and exit.

click you new icon

You should always get your new installation working before installing the bootloader to be sure the installation works and isn't a problem with bootloader.

Select the correct copy. You only want the icon to be copied.

To boot to OSX, set the OSX drive in BIOS to boot first. If multiple partitions on the drive, set the OSX partition to active. Boot to OSX. Then set the bootloader in OSX to display by setting the Timeout parameter: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=243116

If it doesn't boot, then you didn't set up the disk correctly prior to installation.

HD Setup - format the entire drive as FAT32 using a Windows/Linux disk/partition utility. Don't use Windows itself because it has a limit to how large a partition it can format as FAT32. Then, when you go into Disk Utility, you will see the primary partition icon below the hard drive icon (the primary partition is 99.9% of hard drive). Click the partition and erase as MacOS Extended Journaled. You don't need to make an image to restore. Go to the Disk Utility Restore utility and drag the icon of your current OSX installation to the Source field and drag the icon of the primary partition of the new HDD to the Destination field. When done, you need to set up your bootloader.

Ok... I am getting confused... Here is what I have done:

I first tried making a DVD of the .iso file.. I used Acronis to format and then attempted to install on the hard drive, but it keep freezing. So I tried the VMWare way, and used Daemon to mount the .iso and installed to the VMWare file thing.

And that is where I am... I can't use my mouse on the OS selector, so I am trying with my keyboard...

First, why couldn't I install directly to my HD with the burnt DVD?

Second, I am supposed to restart, goto OS Selector.. Select XP, use my keyboard to right-click, then copy.. Then when that finishes, goto properties?

What's up with the mouse?

Try this. In Acronis Selector, select any icon other than Windows. How about the Floppy icon? Then in the Acronis toolbar, select the 9th icon to copy. Then select the 8th icon to rename. Then select the 3rd icon for Properties. Select Partition and select the OSX partition. Then check the Active check box.