Medion 8818 issues

mathias

106 posts in this topic

hy guys!

after updating to 10.4.9 i am having a few problems. i cannot mount my external firewiredrive anymore. system profiler recognize firewire controller but when plugin hdrive in os x dosent recognize it!

any ideas?!

triofour

sorry havent tried the 10.4.9 update yet, it seems to be running perfectly on ide, but still having issues with the sata being unstable. Especially when copying large files, dvd iso's get to 99% then fail with an error saying the file is to large, even though there's plenty of free space.

triofour - with the 10.4.9 does the system seem any faster or have you noticed any improvements since the update, apart from the mounting issues.

kainer!

i dont recognize improvements in every day working, but system is running very stable (also on sata)! i would say it runs a bit more stable than 10.4.8! i had problems mounting dmg files but there is already a fix anywhere around here!

but til now no solution for getting firewire to work :-(

dashboard is now running without any problems - before it crashed sometimes suddenly my finder!

regards

triofour

Hi guys,

Look at this : 8.9.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.9.1: Wed Apr 18 22:59:25 UZT 2007; ToH:xnu-792.18.15/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

I finaly got a new kernel working !!!!

About this mac info is correct -> 2 cores working ;)

Now I can focus on installing OSX on the SATA drive :P

Greetz

hy axethrower!

which kernel do you use? any startup flags? pressing x at startup?

tried latest semthex kernel form irc. hackint0sh.org

but could only start with pressed x key and under about mac os:

1.86 ghz solo!

triofour

Hi,

I used the kernel from IRC irc.osx86.hu (i think) #1049 ... (from 18/4)

Only the -f option used , nothing else.

But I screwed my install trying to activate SATA.

Even with -s it's not possible to boot

Time for a fresh install :rolleyes:

Greetz

Hello,

I finally found the problem preventing me to install the new kernels from semtex.

I had USB legacy DISABLED in my BIOS.

I enabled it and everything worked as shoud. I even can boot the install dvd's wich didn't work before.

Greetz

Axethrower

i have this aldi machine...Everything worked on JaS10.4.8 except sound. My QE&CI worked outta the box. Did a SATA Hack to get the SATA to work. Runs fine for me

all i need now is the RF controller to work! FRONTROW!

anyone had any problems with the network card on the medion 8818 ?

Mine has been working flawlessly for a few weeks now, today i booted a linux live cd to test something out but when i rebooted back into OS X my network card has stopped working.

When i first went into 'Network' in 'Preferences' to see if the card was still there and it is now grayed out. I tried deleting it and then rebooting to see if that would have any affect but no joy. After logging in i went into 'Network' again in 'preferences' and i recieved a message saying 'New network Port found' so i clicked yes to let it auto configure it. But still it appears grayed out.

So i thought i'd move the /System/Library/Extentions/ViaRhine.kext to / and then remove the card again from 'Preferences' and reboot. Then followed the guide on installing the network card again, rebooted. Still no luck

anyone had any similar issues or does anyone know how to fix it ??

I have tested another linuxlive cd to confirm the network card is actually ok and not dead and its working perfect under gentoo.

• 1 month later...

four!

will you explain exactly how you got os x to boot from your sata drive. I've tried cloning the IDE drive and changing the device id but still no luck. are you using acronis ?

• 4 months later...

Guys,

Network is giving me serious problems in Leo.

After a while I have no connection anymore.

DHCP gives me a self assigned address.

Only when I reboot it works again.

This forced meto go back to Tiger.. I realy need networking

Greetz

Axethrower

I had similar problems with the viarhine driver for the network card. I downloaded the latest mac.nub 10.4.10 disk and there'a choice of 3 ViaRhine drivers. I used the latest v3. After following the Brazilmac install method for 10.5 i copied the viarhine driver from 10.4.10 with the startup script.

My only strange occurences with 10.5 is sometimes i get multiple keypresses on the keyboard. e.g : if i press the 'A' key it will output the character 10 times 'AAAAAAA'

if i reboot, it then works, weird or what ?

Forgot to mention that the railink usb wireless card doesnt work anymore (on 10.5)

I created another partition and tested the ToH RC2 dvd doing a clean install. Took ages to install (BrazilMac only took 25 mins) ToH took over an hour. I had the initial boot problems as others have mentioned using the ToH dvd, but after several reboots it started working on its own. I still booted back into the dvd and ran the boot fix anyway just in case.

at first boot of the ToH clean install, nothing was configured (unlike the BrazilMac version) No display driver or sound also the network card wasnt detected. I copied over the ViaRhine from the BrazilMac installation to the ToH install, removed the Extentions.mkext etc.. and rebooted with the '-v -f' option. Still no network card working ??, also forgot to mention that the ToH install is only showing the cpu as a core solo. BrazilMac detect core2duo

Hi Kainer,

Nice to see you're on Leo too :)

I installed a new NIC (realtek) today .. so far no problems.

The v3 ViaRhine is also on the XXX disc I believe so I'll try this one too.

Did you use a SMBIOS.kext from paulicat or another one?

Normally that should solve the core stuff.

Oh yeah ... did you use the No Hpet kernel from ToH?

I'm planning to use this disc for a clean install. It would be nice if you already know if the kernel works.

And yes ... the ralink wireless driver doesn't work for me either.

Greetz

Axethrower

Axethrower

which realtek card did you buy. I'm thinking of doing the same. I'm sick of this ViaRhine driver. The ViaRhine is to flakey, i had similar problems with it when i first installed JaS 10.4.8 in january. Its only since the release of leopard that the issue has returned.

No i've havent used SMBIOS.kext from any source - I have mac.nub,kalyway,jas&all uphuck versions. I'll check those out for SMBIOS.kext and see if that helps it see the 2nd core.

I used the nohpet kernel from osx86.hu for the BrazilMac method. But left the default one on the ToH RC2 version.

Four! - Is it possible to install and boot from SATA without acronis ? The xbench results using SATA are much higher

Would be nice if we all put our heads together and made our own howto in the genius section for setting it all up from start to finish. Including 10.4 & 10.5. I know its quite simple but it still would be beneficial to others, IMO.

hey guys!

i've some problems with my internet connection...maybe tonight i might install leo.

no, you will not need acronis - and: i think you can install leo (and tiger) directly to your sata drive. u just need to change your bios settings from IDE to AHCI. then you can see your sata drive or partition).

my active partition is my tiger partition - after bios i can choose between win xp and tiger in my darwin X86 boot menue.

i am working on my sata partition - its working almost completly stable. sometimes it freeze, when copying files from one hd to another. its a sata problem. (see my other post on insan..)

i have seeked for a solutions a long time, but i cant find the problem...

running on my ide was 100% stable.....

maybe leo will help!!?!