Medion 8818 issues

mathias

106 posts in this topic

• 2 months later...

Hi folks, i also want to get that aldimac running. Would you be so nice to post a summary how to do this? I just burned Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1] on DVD , installed a IDE drive and get ready to boot. Boot runs but crashes after some lines crypto text.

I also tried VMware > no success

Thanks JJ

Hello,

I'm still having troubles installing with 10.4.8 with the new kernel (wich is also on the SSE2/3 DVD)

An older version ... 10.4.7 or 10.4.8 SSE3 only works but this is without the latest kernel giving full graphical support and 2 cores.

Triofour has more luck I think. In a PM he said it works with 10.4.8 with newest kernel :

system on ide works great. i am just working on my hackintosh - vista and xp sucks!

got newest semthex kernel from irc. auto update is not really up to date. new kernel fixes a lot of problems.

but need -f in bootlist and

f8 at startup

enter

and pressed x until apple logo appears

looking for a solution to get osx running stable on my sata....

Greetz

Axethrower

Could some please post a step by step on how to install on the medion 8818 (including bios settings)

I cannot get it working, 2 sata drives 1 internal and 1 in media bay, also have spare 80gb WD IDE drive. Tried all 3 settings in the bios (ide,raid &sata)

and failed. I've taken the original DVDROM drive out (ide slave device) and fitted the 80 gig IDE hard disk. Again tried all different bios options and again all failed.

I've taken a photo of the screen (sorry for the glare) if anyone has any clue as to why its not working.

Edited by KaiNeR

• 2 weeks later...

hy!

i have successful running 10.4.8 (JAS DVD for Intel only 10.4.8) on my medion 8818. I had a lot of problems, but know my system works almost perfect!

running on full cpu speed with 2 cores

running on your SATA drives!

full audio support

dual-monitor!!! yeah! Core image, quartz extreme support

usb, firewire

wlan

...everything except pci-cards (build-in tv card, scsi cards)

first important information: you dont need to make any modifications in bios so long. you will need a PATA (IDE) drive. replace the cd-rom with this drive. get the already called DVD. you dont need to make any partitions, because you will install it on your IDE drive.

you cannot install directly to your sata drive, so make the install on your IDE.

take following additional packs at installing:

10.4.8 combo update

semthex kernel (mifki would not work!!)

drivers for via ATA support

after installing you need to press F8 while booting, then type -f to force checking disks. otherwise your computer will always restart. so, now, your hackintosh should work. get the newest kernel from irc: irc.osx86.hu in channel #kernel. with older kernels form dvd you will not have full cpu support (just one core) and so one. For installing kernel look for “How to Install the 8.8.1 kernel – Manual method” under http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=34871.

Now get your SATA drive working. Go /system/library/. Delete extensions.kextcache and extensions.mkext. open the extensions folder. Look for AppleVIAATA.kext. left click “show package contents”. Open contents. Open info.plist with an editor (e.g. bbedit).

Look for:

<key>VIA SATA Controller</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleVIAATA</string>

<key>Hardware Name</key>

<string>8237 SATA</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleVIAATARoot</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

MAKE CHANGE here: <string>0x52871106</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<string>1000</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Serial ATA</key>

Save. Close.

Move this kext to IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/plugins

Repair permissions with disk utility. Restart! Now you can see your SATA drive!!!! Cool! Restart. Start XP or Vista from your SATA drive. Make partition with e.g. partition magic (see other guides for more information about installing for dual boot xp and osx). Install acronis os selector for later. You will need it for running os x on your sata partiton.

Restart start os x. format your sata-mac-partition to hfs+. Get clonetool. Clone from your IDE drive to your SATA drive. Restart. Acronis os selector will recognize your new system. Get it up and running!

Great!

For graphic get natit v.0.01 -→ http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=35970

Support als dual-monitor!!!!

For audio, wlan and so on look on page 1 of this topic!

Good luck!

i forgot on important information: if your system always restart at startup with the newest semthex kernel, press X while startup, until apple logo appears! than it works perfectly!

triofour!

i used following DVD: JaS.10.4.8.SSE3. Intel.Only.iso

triofour

I think the main problem is not what happens after the install but installing OSX itself.

For the guys in this post who can't install ... Just use the JAS 10.4.8 SSE 3 RESEED

I tried many releases and this is the only one I can install with

Greetz

:) well it boots with the IDE drive perfect and managed to get, sound, NIC & wifi working. SATA drives are now being detected. I booted from the setup dvd again, to try and have a go installing on the SATA drives. Managed to install ok but on boot, it just hangs on the gray apple loading screen. (maybe should have paid more attention on the part about using acronis os selector)

Big Thank You to triofour for making it a bit easier to read and understand.

KaiNeR,

Do U use the -f option when booting ?

What kernel do you have installed ( you can find it by opening terminal and typing uname -a)

I still have problems running the latest kernel from semtex.

Even pressing the x key during boot doesn't work.

I realy want my 2 cores to work like Triofour managed to do.

If I can run a newer kernel , I think upgrading to 10.4.9 will also work

Greetz

Axethrower

Axethrower

I only used the -f option on the install

uname -a

8.8.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Sat Dec 9 22:18:27 AZOT 2006; semthex:/nebukadnezar/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

I patched the original dvd which came with my mbp

so is it possible to run the software update, or are there's specific patched version available to update it to 10.4.9 ?

if i run the update without installing it says 6 are available, which are :

Remote Desktop Admin Update 3.1

Java for Mac OS X 10.4 Release5 5.0

QuikTime 7.1.5

AirPort Extreme Update 2007 1.0

iTunes 7.1.1

Mac OS X Update (Intel) 10.4.9

No , I don't think it's wise to update from apple ... you can search the forum about this.

There are many updates on the net (via torrents) wich allow you to upgrade to 10.4.9

So you say you patched the original dvd ? You mean an original OSX install DVD ?

Strange ... the only DVD I can boot with is the JAS 10.4.8 SSE3 reseed.

But some other news : I installed the JAS 10.4.9 update and now I have 2 cores !!!

About this mac is showing : 1,86 GHz Intel Core Duo

And the rest of the info :

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Mac

Machine Model: ACPI

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 1.86 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB

Memory: 1 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

But ... still with the old kernel :D

Darwin osx.local 8.8.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Sat Oct 28 02:31:12 CDT 2006; root:xnu-792.13.8/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

Everything I try with a new kernel fails ...

All Semtex 8.8.1 and the new 8.9.1 (with and without HPET) fail.

I think it's strange ... 3 user with the same PC and I'm the only one failing to use a newer kernel.

Greetz

Axethrower

I'd be happy to upload the dvd i used to your ftp or what ever, i know what your going through mate, i've been trying to get it working since january and its only been this week i've managed to get it installed.

I have the dvd , that's not the problem ... I just get a reboot before I can install ..

I also have the 8.8.1 kernel ... but not the latest from Semtex ...

The 8.9.1 is the new kernel for OSX 10.4.9

Greetz

hy!

my latest kernel is:

Darwin mathias-computer.local 8.8.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Tue Mar 13 21:25:29 CET 2007; semthex:/nebukadnezar-newdawn/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

important to know: its the date (eg. tue mar 13....) which indicates the version of the kernel. best way to obatin the latest kernel is to get it via irc (see somes posts before).

with some older kernels, i had also more often problems while starting (like restarting, and so on...) - can u start in secure boot (-x). do you use any special kexts? i dont use the viarhine.kext, because it made me much problems (kernel panics, ....) using just wlan... maybe your problem.....!

axethrower succesfully updated to 10.4.9! good news! which update did you use? how did you make it? does it work stable?

triofour

triofour

mine is very fast and stable once booted, my only issue is every other start from cold (or restart) after the silver apple screen, it then goes to the blue background screen with the smaller silver apple loading screen (with the increasing percentage bar) but resolution is very small, the percentage bar continues to load right to the end but then the system just stops and has to be hard powered off.

Then loads normally, as previously said this only occurs every 'other' boot up.

Also if any other medion 8818 users can point me in the the right direction to the howto for upgrading to 10.4.9, maybe this will fix the problem ;)

kainer!

i had the same problem before i got the newest kernel. so i've running it since about 14 days and had this problem just one time. before i had it much more often....

another problem is, that running from my SATA drive is a bit instable - sometimes when saving or copying to my harddisk or my firewire drive, system hang and i just can hard power off.... dont know why - is a very specific problem.....maybe 10.4.9 would solve it! do you have any experiences like that?!

triofour

I have installed onto my SATA drive without problems but never installed acronis os selector, so have been unable to boot from it. Copying files seems ok though, there has been no lockups yet. The strange thing is i didnt have to follow your guide on configuring the SATA, when i booted from the install dvd (2nd install attempt) , all the drives where detected in Disk Utility. (2xSATA & 1PATA).

When the install finished i plugged my MBP via firewire to the medion to copy my user over and documents, and that all worked ok without any problems.

I first noticed the lockup issues on startup (which occur every other reboot) imediatley after installing the updates from apple (all updates apart from 10.4.9) - if you need to know which updates i installed from apple look on P2 of this thread

so maybe i need to apply certain patches for those update if any one knows please advise

thanks

Hi all,

I used the JAS upgrade to 10.4.9 (from demonoid) , it installs also 2 kernels but as said before i'm having trouble booting another kernel as the original on the JAS 10.4.8 SSE 3 DVD

(8.8.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Sat Oct 28 02:31:12 CDT 2006; root:xnu-792.13.8/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386)

I downloaded the latest kernel (8.8.1) from irc but still no luck booting with it.

I also find it strange that I can only boot from the SSE 3 reseed DVD and no other (eg the latest SSE2/SSE3 with all sorts of patches)

When I boot from an updated kernel it loads all the kexts and reboots ...

I shall try without the rhine kext

Greetz