Adding install pkgs to the Jas dvd?

6 posts in this topic

I've had little luck on this subject, I've found one old thread that links to:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...003120216030560

but they says

Open the file Mac OS X Install Disc 1 -> System -> Installation -> Packages -> OSInstallCache.plist with a text editor

unfortunately new version lack this file. Any kind of help at all, some search terms, links, idea's on how to do it, ANYTHING that could send me in the right direction will be appreciated.

My goal here is to add in the packages someone else made to get audio, networking, and IDE working. I've managed to finally get my 965 board to boot a dvd off of the IDE dvd drive.

Please help me, anything at all will be useful to me,

Thanks in advance,

D

Dude, seriously, that was the kick in the ass I needed. I got the rest. -_-:D

You are my new best friend you'll never meet. If you want I'll gladly name my 3rd born child after you (1st and 2nd are already taken, sorry).

For archival purposes here are the articles I used successfully.

http://www.macosxhints.com/comment.php?mod...C&pid=68383

Combined with help from this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=32980&st=0

and this one:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...ic=1445&hl=

And yet another:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32310

And...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry222574

Now I just need to learn how to make my own packages and I'm set.

I've been working this most of the day and found a working solution for some of the software updates that follow an installation. My solution involves setting up the hard drive based OS X (Tiger) installer (described in this thread) with a few minor modifications.

Here are the steps I used:

1. Turn off the "Ignore ownership on this volume" option in the get info window for the hard drive based installer partition that you're working with. This prevents your additions/edits from getting different ownership/group permissions than the default installer uses on the installation volume (root:wheel).

2. Remove any of the spaces in the package names that you wish to add to the installer process. I don't know if it's necessary, but I noticed that none of Apple's entries had spaces, so I felt it was safest to remove them.

3. Place the software update packages that you wish to add to the Mac OS X installation process into /System/Installation/Packages/

4. Navigate to /System/Installation/Packages/ and right-click (or control-click) on OSInstall.mpkg and choose "Show Package Contents" and open the "Contents" folder.

5. Using a text editor that will allow you to over-ride ownership permissions (I used BBEdit) open the following items (within the Contents folder):

* OSInstall.dist (drag onto the text editor to open, it's plain text file)

* Info.plist

* Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.strings

6. Within Info.plist, add entries for each of the packages that you've added to the Packages folder. Note that if you removed spaces in the package names (see above) make sure you do NOT include spaces in your Info.plist entries. The entries must match the package names exactly! My new entries were placed just above the X11 entry and look like this:

<dict>

<key>IFPkgFlagPackageLocation</key>

<string>AirPortUpdate2005-001.pkg</string>

</dict>

<dict>

<string>iPod2005-11-17.pkg</string>

</dict>

<dict>

<string>iTunesPhoneDriver.pkg</string>

</dict>

<dict>

<string>SecurityUpdate2005-009.pkg</string>

</dict>

7. Within the OSInstall.dist file, locate the part the reads ...

<line choice="X11"/>

... and add a group similar the the "Language Translations" section directly above X11. Modify the entries to match the packages that you've added. My entries look like this:

<line choice="SoftwareUpdates">

<line choice="AirPortUpdate2005-001"/>

<line choice="iPod2005-11-17"/>

<line choice="iTunesPhoneDriver"/>

<line choice="SecurityUpdate2005-009"/>

</line>

NOTE: I chose "SoftwareUpdates" as the name for my "Package Group" but you could choose anything you want. Again, don't use spaces. You'll see why in the next step.

8. Within OSInstall.dist (further down), locate

<choice

id="X11"

title="X11_title"

description="X11_description"

start_enabled="upgrade_allowed()"

start_selected="false"

>

<pkg-ref id="com.apple.pkg.X11User"/>

</choice>

Add entries for each of the packages you've added directly above the X11 entry. My entries look like this:

<choice

id="SoftwareUpdates"

title="SoftwareUpdates_title"

description="SoftwareUpdates_description"

>

</choice>

<choice

id="AirPortUpdate2005-001"

title="AirPortUpdate2005-001_title"

description="AirPortUpdate2005-001_description"

start_selected="my.choice.enabled"

>

<pkg-ref id="com.apple.pkg.AirPortUpdate2005-001"/>

</choice>

<choice

id="iPod2005-11-17"

title="iPod2005-11-17_title"

description="iPod2005-11-17_description"

>

<pkg-ref id="com.apple.pkg.iPod2005-11-17"/>

</choice>

<choice

id="iTunesPhoneDriver"

title="iTunesPhoneDriver_title"

description="iTunesPhoneDriver_description"

>

<pkg-ref id="com.apple.pkg.iTunesPhoneDriver"/>

</choice>

<choice

id="SecurityUpdate2005-009"

title="SecurityUpdate2005-009_title"

description="SecurityUpdate2005-009_description"

>

<pkg-ref id="com.apple.pkg.SecurityUpdate2005-009"/>

</choice>

Note the first entry, SoftwareUpdates, marks the "Package Group" that you're adding.

9. Next, locate ...

<pkg-ref id="com.apple.pkg.X11User" auth='root'>file:../X11User.pkg</pkg-ref>

... and add entries for the packages you've added directly above the X11 entry. My entries look like this:

<pkg-ref id="com.apple.pkg.AirPortUpdate2005-001" auth='root'>file:../AirPortUpdate2005-001.pkg</pkg-ref>

<pkg-ref id="com.apple.pkg.iPod2005-11-17" auth='root'>file:../iPod2005-11-17.pkg</pkg-ref>

<pkg-ref id="com.apple.pkg.iTunesPhoneDriver" auth='root'>file:../iTunesPhoneDriver.pkg</pkg-ref>

<pkg-ref id="com.apple.pkg.SecurityUpdate2005-009" auth='root'>file:../SecurityUpdate2005-009.pkg</pkg-ref>

Make certain that your package names match exactly and that you DO NOT add the .pkg in the 'id' attribute of your tags, but DO include them in the 'file path' part of the tags.

10. Locate the following entry (again further down in the OSInstall.dist file):

<pkg-ref id='com.apple.pkg.X11User' installKBytes='91388' version='10.4.0.1780000.1733'/>

Add entries for the packages you've added directly above the X11 entry. My entries look like this:

<pkg-ref id="com.apple.pkg.AirPortUpdate2005-001" installKBytes='1297' />

<pkg-ref id="com.apple.pkg.iPod2005-11-17" installKBytes='85064' />

<pkg-ref id="com.apple.pkg.iTunesPhoneDriver" installKBytes='65' />

<pkg-ref id="com.apple.pkg.SecurityUpdate2005-009" installKBytes='13283' />

The installKBytes figures DO NOT have to be accurate but should be close. I think they just give the installer/user an idea how much space the package is going to take up. Furthermore, it helps the installer to determine whether or not the destination has enough space to install everything.

To get my figures, I made copies of each of my packages to a temp folder on my desktop then pried them open, unarchived the Archive.pax.gz within them and then using the Finder's get info, I measured the size of the resulting files and divided the bytes by 1024 to convert to KB and rounded to the nearest integer. I know my numbers are not accurrate, but my installation works just fine anyway.

11. Within Localizable.strings, add entries for the "user friendly" package names and descriptions that the installer shows to the user. I don't believe it matters where you place them within the file. My entries look like this:

"SoftwareUpdates_title" = "Post-Install Software Updates";

"SoftwareUpdates_description" = "Installs applicable software updates.";

"AirPortUpdate2005-001_title" = "Airport Update 2005-001";

"AirPortUpdate2005-001_description" = "Installs the Airport Update 001 for 2005.";

"iPod2005-11-17_title" = "iPod Updater 2005-11-17";

"iPod2005-11-17_description" = "Insalls the updated iPod software.";

"iTunesPhoneDriver_title" = "iTunes Phone Driver";

"iTunesPhoneDriver_description" = "Installs the iTunes phone driver.";

"SecurityUpdate2005-009_title" = "Security Update 2005-009";

"SecurityUpdate2005-009_description" = "Installs the security update 009 for 2005.";

NOTE: You need the "SofwareUpdates" entry in order for the package section to have a name and description within the the "Customize" section of the installer.

12. Save and close your files. If you're using BBEdit, it will want authorization in order to make changes to the files, but it WILL NOT change ownership on the files (which is exactly what you want).

CHECKING & CHANGING PERMISSIONS: If you failed to turn off the "Ignore ownership on this volume" (step 1), like I did, you'll need to change the file permissions on your hard drive based installer partition. If you DID do step one before any other steps, you might want to check the permissions anyway.

To check the permissions:

* Open the terminal (located in /Applications/Utilities)

* cd to the root level of your hard drive based installer partition (located inside /Volumes)

* Type "ls -lan" (without the quotes) and press enter

* Examine the file permissions. All owner and groups should be set to 0 (zero).

To change the permissions:

* Open the terminal (located in /Applications/Utilities)

* cd to the root level of your hard drive based installer partition (located inside /Volumes)

* Type "sudo chown -R 0:0 *" (without quotes) and press enter. You will likely be required to type your admin password.

NOTE: Some groups may not want to change. I learned this because I failed to perform Step 1 before digging into the files. Despite all of my attempts, I could not get the group to go back to 0 on a few of my items like mach & etc. My installer works despite the invalid groups because everything is owned by root.

ABOUT MY STARTING POINT: I started with a Mac OS X 10.4.3 Installer DVD image, so I don't have a lot of additional software updates to apply and that's why my examples only show four added packages to my installation. Your mileage my vary.

I highly suggest that you use a partition that you can test install onto to make sure your modifications are working. I had to erase and install serveral times before I got it all figured out.

A NOTE ABOUT JAVA UPDATES: I tried to include the Java131and142Release2.pkg & J2SE50Release3.pkg packages in my installation, but the installation would fail, so I removed them.

---

Christopher Raymond, MacWorks owner/operator

Edited by thedguy

• 2 weeks later...
Dude, seriously, that was the kick in the ass I needed. I got the rest. :hysterical::guitar:

You are my new best friend you'll never meet. If you want I'll gladly name my 3rd born child after you (1st and 2nd are already taken, sorry).

For archival purposes here are the articles I used successfully.

http://www.macosxhints.com/comment.php?mod...C&pid=68383

Combined with help from this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=32980&st=0

and this one:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...ic=1445&hl=

And yet another:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32310

And...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry222574

Now I just need to learn how to make my own packages and I'm set.

Package making is the 'easy part' imo. I am having trouble editing the OSinstall.dist to get it to show me the menu items to show up on my modded dvd. I already have the package made for what I need. I just need to get an extensions.mkext remade and I'm all set.

Well, I'm going to try to 'restore' a disk using disk utility. If that doesn't work, I'll try using your setup here.

joneSi

Edited by joneSi

hi. i'm new to this and i too want to add my pkg to the installation dvd. i have 2 questions. i hope you all will be able to help.

1. how do i create a .pkg file? is there a tool for it or do i have to manually write it?

2. how can i edit the dvd? do i just mount it on desktop and start modifying it? if so, when i burn the modified dvd will it be able to boot?

• 2 weeks later...
hi. i'm new to this and i too want to add my pkg to the installation dvd. i have 2 questions. i hope you all will be able to help.

1. how do i create a .pkg file? is there a tool for it or do i have to manually write it?

2. how can i edit the dvd? do i just mount it on desktop and start modifying it? if so, when i burn the modified dvd will it be able to boot?

Rammjet answers it all here.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=32310&hl=