Most powerful supported PCI-E card?

-jordn-

14 posts in this topic

hey. ive just been on dabs.com and bagged myself a bargin lol- two 19-inch widescreen TFT displays for £265. im really interested in monitor spanning and streching the desktop across multiple screens. i know that this requires a video card that can support the combined resolutions, and lots of video memory. i am dual-booting at the moment (OSX and XP). like everyone else,i like to play games in windows. what is the most powerful supported video card? i was looking into the Nvidia 7950GX2, but people seem to have problems getting CI/Quartz to work (which is a big thing for me).

i have about £150 pounds to spend, so i was thinking either an ATI X1950 series card or an NVidia 7900GT. also, this 7900GS with 512 memory caught my eye. i heard that people already have dual monitors working on ATI cards, but are having difficulty with Nvidia based ones.

please post any recommendations or ideas you guys may have!

thanks in advance,

jordn

The other day I bougth a x1950 but although the resolution can be changed there is no support for core image an quicktime extreme both very essential for osx.

So to avoid dissapointment go for 7900GT although there are also mixed reports about recognizedment with titan. There is one from MSI with VIVO that was recognized and there is post about it in this forum.

• 3 months later...
The other day I bougth a x1950 but although the resolution can be changed there is no support for core image an quicktime extreme both very essential for osx.

So to avoid dissapointment go for 7900GT although there are also mixed reports about recognizedment with titan. There is one from MSI with VIVO that was recognized and there is post about it in this forum.

I have installed the Sapphire X1950XT with no problem at all. I had to reinstall the OS though and remember not to install the common drivers. There is an installer for the card in the Drivers board.

Everything works... and with 512MB

If you are never interested in trying Linux, go for an ATI.

If you want to run Linux at some stage, avoid ATI like the plague, as ATI drivers for Linux are years behind the Nvidia ones and can be a royal PITA.

If you are never interested in trying Linux, go for an ATI.

If you want to run Linux at some stage, avoid ATI like the plague, as ATI drivers for Linux are years behind the Nvidia ones and can be a royal PITA.

If your gonna go anythin gother than windows/osx (with some ati cards... check compatability), stay the hell away from ati, learned that the hard way, rofl.... hopefully amd will fix that, but i wouldnt sit here holding my breath on that one.

• 2 weeks later...
What about the ATi x1900XT ?

It's an option with the Mac Pro..

Really nice card imo.

If the X1950XT is any indication it will be a fine card. I installed Ubuntu Edgy (6.10) on my system and the card works flawlessly for my needs (Second Life). It is arguably better performing than in OS X or even Vista.

I'd personally steer away from ATI cards. I had a problem with the Catalyst driver, a task called CLI.exe cloned itself over and over (from startup) until the entire system grinded to a halt. Put me off for good. Never had a problem with Nvidia cards though!

I'd personally steer away from ATI cards. I had a problem with the Catalyst driver, a task called CLI.exe cloned itself over and over (from startup) until the entire system grinded to a halt. Put me off for good. Never had a problem with Nvidia cards though!

That's actually a common problem with a few programs. The most famous manifestation of such is seen by people who use Azureus for torrents. Azureus is programmed to take over whatever processes it can in order to use network traffic, thus bypassing software-based firewalls. My roommate had this very problem with Excel and Word spawning over and over once they were running. Essentially anything that your user can control (which is most processes, since most people run WinXP as a power user) will be tried. In the case of CLI.exe, the driver thinks that the other process is hanging and spawns another, which is then tried, and the process will loop.

Dunno if you were running Azureus. If you were, this was likely the culprit.