Deal or no deal? new laptop configuration 945GM special

3 posts in this topic

After seeing OSX86 work semi-flawlessly on my zd8000 notebook, I've been browsing for the purchase of a new notebook that would be a bit more portable. (less constant fan-noise, and the ability to actually put it on your lap without burning a hole in your jeans)

I've seen a few clamshells out there, but am not a fan of screens smaller than 15.4". I've seen that MSI clamshell, and it was a bit pricey for a screen that small...

so, to get to the point:

http://www.antonline.com/p_VBI--Supported-...ial-_260057.htm

this looks really cheap, and supports core2duo etc... but says that graphics are by nvidia. I'm confused. I thought the 945GM controlled the graphics too. what am I missing here? and is this an utter P.O.S? or is this a really good deal? oh yeah, what are the hopes for compatibility?

thanks.

p.s. to all the the people who will post a message saying "get a macbook" let me respond before you post:

I'd get a mac-intel book, but I can't afford one. sell me yours for $700 (that's mac-intel, not ppc)... and I'll gladly take a genuine apple product. but unless you plan on selling me your genuine apple product, do us all a favor and start your own thread to {censored} in.

this is an compal HEL81, and has GMA950 only,

basically the compal hel80 without nvidia card,

did look at the hel80 has 9-cell battery for 5hrs run time, but wanted the wsxga with 1680x1050 and matt screen,.... configure it and its around $1500,... the hel81 is a litle cheaper, $1k to start,...

still looking, but what it's worse, it's better to get a dell or hp preconfigured, than putting together a vbi,...

in terms of price, for 750 you can get a core duo,....

current favorits on my list a the hp dv8000t and dell D820, of course the sound won't work on the dell,...

and the hp has 17" screen, thought, a second disk, with seperate os , for a desktop replacement be a good start,... still favor the mac pro,... but 2.5k,..... sooner than later, I hope.

my 2 favorits, suse and tiger

cheers, Robert

the 945gm is just the motherboard chipset which seems to have been modfied to use nvidia, i dont think this is a good idea bout building your own laptop, and the wireless wouldnt work. Laptops are much different to desktops and theres a reason many people dont build their own.