OpenDarwin

NeSuKuN

10 posts in this topic

OK, so OpenDarwin closed in the moment I need it...

I was wondering if it would be possible to take the lastest OpenDarwin and make it up to date with lastest kernel (8.8.1) and get a command-line only system working and legal.

BTW: which could be the minimun hardware requirements of this?

Darwin 8 has a min-requirement of SSE2, so you'd need at least that. I once got Darwin 8 updated to match OS X 10.4.6 (including the kernel), so it wouldn't necessarily be extra hard to get it up to the latest kernel. And yeah, it'd be legal.

I have a couple of questions for anyone in the know.

1) It seems the last release on OpenDarwin is 7.2.1 which corresponds to 10.3.something. Is this correct? Did the OpenDarwin project not do anything after that?

2) The last full ISO on Apples Darwin site is the 801 ISO, which corresponds to 10.0. Is that correct? Only source packages released after that. Apple seems to only create an ISO on the first version of a major release.

3) Seems like an onerous task to download all the source packages, compile them, and update your system. Is there a build env for this? and the ability to create a new ISO, say of 8.4.1 Darwin?

I'm thinking this might be an interesting project, and a learning experience. Any pointers on how to get started would definitely help.

thanks for any info,

cheers,

• 4 months later...