Input Remapper 1.0.01 Beta

Beliyaal

49 posts in this topic

Input Remapper 1.0.01 Beta has been released!

For full functionality please remove Boot Camp 1.1.x keyboard drivers.

2006-11-30 - Version 1.0.01 Beta

* Added: Full Vista 32 bit support.

* Added: Support for fast user switching.

* Fixed: Update fan speeds and screen backlight every 15 seconds.

* Fixed: Misc bugs.

* Note: Should not be used together with another tool that uses the SMC such as MacBook Tray Tools because of conflicts with accessing the SMC at the same time.

* Note: Automatic dimming is not perfect and needs some delays and tweaks in a future version.

* Note: Do not use under 64-bit Vista for now. Might work if driver signing is disabled in boot menu.

* Note: Apple keyboard drivers should be uninstalled.

* Note: If screen brightness and keyboard backlight controls seems to not be working try holding the keys down longer.

Keys bound on MacBook Pro

* The default keypad like in OSX. This includes num-lock functionality

* fn+Left Click = Right Click

* fn+Backspace = Delete

* fn+Eject = PrintScreen

* fn+F1 = Decrease Brightness

* fn+F2 = Increase Brightness

* fn+F3 = Toggle Mute

* fn+F4 = Decrease Volume

* fn+F5 = Increase Volume

* fn+F6 = Toggle Num-Lock

* fn+F8 = Toggle Keyboard Backlight

* fn+F9 = Decrease Keyboard Backlight

* fn+F10 = Increase Keyboard Backlight

* fn+F11 = Media Play

* fn+F12 = Media Stop

* fn+Up = Page Up

* fn+Down = Page Down

* fn+Left = Home

* fn+Right = End

* fn+Ctrl+Alt+Backspace = Ctrl+Alt+Delete

* Eject = Eject all optical discs

* Enter = Right Click

Any questions, requests, or bug reports should be made in this thread. Thanks!

InputRemapper_1_0_01_Beta.exe

InputRemapper_1_0_01_Beta.exe

Edited by Beliyaal

Everything seems to work well except the fans. I noticed the fans turning completely off, so I started monitoring the settings page to watch and indeed they are turning off. I have the minimum set at 1,000 and have tried other values, but the target goes to 0 all of time, every 10 seconds or so and the actual fan speed goes to zero all of the time as well. You can really notice it if you set the minimum fan speed higher so that can hear them starting and stopping every few seconds.

Please help as I have tried restoring Windows and this did not solve the issue. It scares me that my Mac Book Pro will burn up.

Thanks.

Mike

I do really like this product and appreciate the effeorts put into it.

This is a great tool, thank you! It has singlehandedly made my MacBook an indispensable tool for me now.

Is there any way to send the <Break> key? Remote desktop for example allows you to toggle full screen mode using the Control + Alt + Break; this is something I use daily.

I echo a few suggestions already made:

• Dimming Lights based on inactivity timeout (like OSX)

• Logic for ambient light seems inverted (brighter after threshold so a bit blinding)

A couple new suggestions:

• More selection options for key mappings including a hibernate/sleep one (Eject = Printscreen, FN+Esc = Sleep Button...)

• Hook dimming to Power Profiles (e.g. dim when unplugged, full when plugged, etc)

Any idea where one can purchase replacement keys (or maybe decals instead) to add the windows icon/right click/etc?

Thanks again for a great tool! :D

Is there a way to map the insert key?

You can easily bind eject or fn+eject to insert in the Mac Book Keyboard Wizard. If you want it anywhere else you can do that also in the Configure gui (although it's not easy).

Everything seems to work well except the fans. I noticed the fans turning completely off, so I started monitoring the settings page to watch and indeed they are turning off. I have the minimum set at 1,000 and have tried other values, but the target goes to 0 all of time, every 10 seconds or so and the actual fan speed goes to zero all of the time as well. You can really notice it if you set the minimum fan speed higher so that can hear them starting and stopping every few seconds.

Could you mail(inputremapper at olofsson.info) me a screenshot of the settings screen when the fan is at 0.

This is a great tool, thank you! It has singlehandedly made my MacBook an indispensable tool for me now.

Is there any way to send the <Break> key? Remote desktop for example allows you to toggle full screen mode using the Control + Alt + Break; this is something I use daily.

I echo a few suggestions already made:

• Dimming Lights based on inactivity timeout (like OSX)

• Logic for ambient light seems inverted (brighter after threshold so a bit blinding)

A couple new suggestions:

• More selection options for key mappings including a hibernate/sleep one (Eject = Printscreen, FN+Esc = Sleep Button...)

• Hook dimming to Power Profiles (e.g. dim when unplugged, full when plugged, etc)

Any idea where one can purchase replacement keys (or maybe decals instead) to add the windows icon/right click/etc?

Thanks again for a great tool! :tomato:

Mapping break should be fairly easy from Configure GUI. The other things are on my todo list.

I was able to map 'break' successfully with:

MacBook Pro | 20: Function Key | LAlt(1) + Return(2) | Mouse/Kbd Generate (Break)

This however did not work:

MacBook Pro | 20: Function Key | LShift(1) + F13(2) | Mouse/Kbd Generate (Break)

Is there a limitation for which combinations work for that control character?

How about sleep, I don't any power functions available as a sequence selection, any guidance?

I was able to map 'break' successfully with:

MacBook Pro | 20: Function Key | LAlt(1) + Return(2) | Mouse/Kbd Generate (Break)

This however did not work:

MacBook Pro | 20: Function Key | LShift(1) + F13(2) | Mouse/Kbd Generate (Break)

Is there a limitation for which combinations work for that control character?

How about sleep, I don't any power functions available as a sequence selection, any guidance?

The Function Key group works only for the function key. Create a new group with priority 30 and set "don't ignore keys" to lalt, lshift, lctrl, menu(fn), lwin, rwin, rshift. This will allow you to create bindings that take these keys into account.

The power button does not seem to be implemented with a scancode so it's not possible to emulate at the moment.

It is a really cool application, however, it has some problems with MBP c2D version, I think it conflicts with ATI's driver for X1600, if I installed ATI driver, when bootup, the screen was black, if I removed ATI driver with the one comes with Vista x86, everything works fine.

It is a really cool application, however, it has some problems with MBP c2D version, I think it conflicts with ATI's driver for X1600, if I installed ATI driver, when bootup, the screen was black, if I removed ATI driver with the one comes with Vista x86, everything works fine.

I tried installing the ATI drivers and it seems to work. I did however notice a change in behavior in that the lower range of the control would turn the screen blank. So does it work if you don't have Input Remapper installed? If it does, just try to turn up the brightness some (hold fn+f2).

"the lower range of the control" what is this?

I installed ATI driver after input remapper, before install the driver, everything works fine, but after installation of ATI driver, it got the screen black even I hold fn+f2 to turn up the brightness.

I installed ATI driver after input remapper, before install the driver, everything works fine, but after installation of ATI driver, it got the screen black even I hold fn+f2 to turn up the brightness.

lower range = the settings where the backlight is not so bright.

I was wondering if you had eleminated Input Remapper as the cause of the problem. Uninstall Input Remapper before installing the ATI drivers and see if the problem is the same. Another problem could be if you have the automatic dimming enabled and the minimum value it's set too low. This is because of the changed behaviour where the backlight is turned off not only when at minimum but some steps above minumum as well.

Thank you Beliyaal, this is an awesome tool, it alone caused me to keep my MBP (first time Mac user after years of Dell and HP laptops).

I run Windows XP Pro via bootcamp and I do have some issues Which I wonder if you can shed some light on (may be they are entirely unrelated to Input Remapper, I just don’t know).

1. Screen flicker. This happens occasionally where the screen flickers for an instant, as if the LCD is being refreshed and it seems to coincide with Input Remapper also refreshing although the screen flicker happens may be once every 10 minutes or so and it happens regardless of the configuration setting

2. Keyboard back light flickers on and off occasionally

3. This one I find really annoying. I would be listening to music, then the sound stutters for an instant. It got better when I unchecked automatic control of screen backlight but it’s still there, although not as bad

4. Finally, I am having problems with Windows crashing if I put it in sleep mode where it would not resume and I’d have to turn off the machine. This worked 50% of the time prior to Beta 1.0.0.1 od I.R. but since I installed the latest beta, Windows crashes 100% of the time on resume from sleep. Do you think this is in any way related to Input Remapper?

Thanks so much.

MBP 15” 2.33 Ghz, 2 GB, 120 GB HD, 256 MB ATI X1600

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you Beliyaal, this is an awesome tool, it alone caused me to keep my MBP (first time Mac user after years of Dell and HP laptops).

I run Windows XP Pro via bootcamp and I do have some issues Which I wonder if you can shed some light on (may be they are entirely unrelated to Input Remapper, I just don’t know).

1. Screen flicker. This happens occasionally where the screen flickers for an instant, as if the LCD is being refreshed and it seems to coincide with Input Remapper also refreshing although the screen flicker happens may be once every 10 minutes or so and it happens regardless of the configuration setting

2. Keyboard back light flickers on and off occasionally

3. This one I find really annoying. I would be listening to music, then the sound stutters for an instant. It got better when I unchecked automatic control of screen backlight but it’s still there, although not as bad

4. Finally, I am having problems with Windows crashing if I put it in sleep mode where it would not resume and I’d have to turn off the machine. This worked 50% of the time prior to Beta 1.0.0.1 od I.R. but since I installed the latest beta, Windows crashes 100% of the time on resume from sleep. Do you think this is in any way related to Input Remapper?

Thanks so much.

MBP 15” 2.33 Ghz, 2 GB, 120 GB HD, 256 MB ATI X1600

Please see the reply to your other topic. It sounds like something is competing for control of the SMC. Number 4 should be a problem irrespective of input remapper as you said in your other post. The default driver for the trackpad is not optimal for many reasons. If you want a faster trackpad with the original driver do the following:

Control Panel->Mouse Properties->Pointer Options: Uncheck "Enhance pointer precision".

Click: Input Remapper Icon->Configure

Right click: Presets->Normal->Mouse Acceleration. Choose "Set Value".

Type: 1.65 and press "OK"

You should now have a pleasant speed of the trackpad without the problems of the Apple driver although you wont have the two finger click and scrolling.

Edited by Beliyaal

hello again..

I have now got i working almost.. I tryed to installe abble keyboard driver again. then all of my fn + f1-f12 were working. but i found out that when i lower the brightness input remapper turns the brightness to full after like 5 seconds. I found out of this after opening input remapper settings and looked at the screen backlight bar to see if it changed. but it did not.. so I was wondering if there was a way to turn off input remappers screen backlight option??

Birch81

hello again..

I have now got i working almost.. I tryed to installe abble keyboard driver again. then all of my fn + f1-f12 were working. but i found out that when i lower the brightness input remapper turns the brightness to full after like 5 seconds. I found out of this after opening input remapper settings and looked at the screen backlight bar to see if it changed. but it did not.. so I was wondering if there was a way to turn off input remappers screen backlight option??

Birch81

If you uninstall the apple keyboard drivers again it will work. As evidenced by the fact that Input Remapper is able to reset the brightness to full you probably didn't hold the keys down long enough to see that they were changing. From the release notes:

* Note: If screen brightness and keyboard backlight controls seems to not be working try holding the keys down longer.

Thanks yet again! I love this tool.

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to add the two-finger trackpad scroll function that Mac OS has, or does anyone know of another tool that could simulate that?

Thanks,

C

Your best bet is the Apple trackpad driver. It has it's own issues as explained above.

First off I would just like to say, this is a fantastic application. I am a Macbook convert from having nothing but PCs. Oh sorry thats right I still do have a PC called a Macbook. :D

So my question is does Input Remapper show the temp of the processor in any of the numbers that are displayed, if not is that something that you would consider adding. I know it is not vitally important as we can control the fans but it would be worth knowing the actual temp of the processor?

YiiiiHaaaaa...

now it works..

I tryed doing it on another way. first I tryed to disable apple keyboard support. that worked. after that I closed the KPM.... process and deleted the apple folder. så I didn´t do that thing with the device manager..

and now it works..

thanks alot for the help..

Birch81

Is there any way to define which sensor is which? Does anyone have the info on which is which? I have a few guesses...like I'm pretty sure I know which is video, and which is CPU...but I'd like to know for sure.

I don't know. I guess I could try asking apple.

I had the same problem after every reboot and sleep/hibernate cycles. Boy was that frustrating.

Check the new ATI driver (v8.31.100.3.2.1), solved the problem for me.

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/vista32...on-vista32.html

Good Luck!