Security Update 2006-007...what needs to be done? Is is necessary?

littlepr

60 posts in this topic

Hi there,

installed on the 10.4.8 SSE3 AMD image installation yesterday. Was no good idea as a can read right now :-)

The finder crashes constantly but I still have console/Terminal, but I'm unable to decompress the .dmg of the security patch. I tried Pacifist to look into it but there are more Archives in it. I can't extract them because every file dialog will crash the application :-P

I should mention that I have installed the beta7 semthex's beta7 kernel installed. I used this nice little kernel update script and it only downloads always kernel beta7 not beta8.

If I would install beta8 kernel and do the SecUpdate again, would this repair my installation?

Greetings

kleiner Kobold

Hi there,

installed on the 10.4.8 SSE3 AMD image installation yesterday. Was no good idea as a can read right now :-)

The finder crashes constantly but I still have console/Terminal, but I'm unable to decompress the .dmg of the security patch. I tried Pacifist to look into it but there are more Archives in it. I can't extract them because every file dialog will crash the application :-P

I should mention that I have installed the beta7 semthex's beta7 kernel installed. I used this nice little kernel update script and it only downloads always kernel beta7 not beta8.

If I would install beta8 kernel and do the SecUpdate again, would this repair my installation?

Greetings

kleiner Kobold

run this in single user mode

secupd_patcher.zip

Is it the update or a fix :huh:
oviously a fix. The secupdate is 24Mb, the patcher is 8Ko...

Anyway, since Semthex already corrected the security breach in Beta8 kernel, it might not be so usefull to run this security update (?) or am I mistaken ?

OK, I found out by myself :-)

For those who are noobish as me:

1) boot with -s for single user mode

2) mount -u -o rw / (remount your boot partition into read/write mode)

3) unzip myzar's zip file (unzip secupd_patcher.zip)

4) chmod +x patcher

5) ./patcher secupd.txt

And the best of all: it works and fixes my mess with the security update and finder is working again :-D

Thanx alot myzar!

BTW , it does not work with JAS OSX 10.4.8 SSE2/SSE3/AMD SSE2/AMD SSE3 update [aka with the old kernel]

It does for me on 8.4.1 !!

10.4.8 updated with JaS.10.4.8.Update.Intel.Only.pkg (so only software, still got 8.4.1 kernel) and i got no problems.

4) chmod +x patcher

5) ./patcher secupd.txt

And the best of all: it works and fixes my mess with the security update and finder is working again :-D

Thanx alot myzar!

that totally saved my ass, because i have some indesign cs1 mac work this weekend, and i {censored} myself when i saw that finder wasnt working. =(

thanks you! and thanks myzar!

Thanks for the patcher myzar !

it seems to work perfect

4) chmod +x patcher

5) ./patcher secupd.txt

Thanx alot myzar!

just to make things a bit more precise, boot in single user and at first prompt, you need to continue booting in single user, so type :

etc/rc

before doing 2) 3) 4) and 5)

Well I have latest Semtex kernel + Jas 10.4.8 DVD installed and I looked at previous posts "Billy's" and I installed security update. My system is not booting and I can't find anywhere that R2D2.kext

Is my system f...ed or can I do something?

Please help

Thanks for all good work guys

It seems so. I applied the update, I was like "Well, I don't SEE any kernel things in the list.. update!" Then I reboot and Finder doesn't run. DOH!

So I applied this patch, and yes, it works. Finder once again runs and things seem very normal (I'm using it right now.)

I definately recommend, if you have Windows on the box, to install a copy of MacDrive on it. As long as the system is shut down cleanly you can R/W to your mac partition/disks like they were Windows disks. I don't really trust it for big file operations but it makes it easy to drop something like a zip file down, so I can fix my goof =)

THANK you for this patch.

Myzar's patch works fine. It just seems that the "boot splash" window before finder is loaded is not displayed anymore. Don't know if this is a missing patched file or anything else. Anyway, finder is back to normal with his patch so thanks again myzar !!