Why the GMA900 JaS solution is NOT a solution.

B612

159 posts in this topic

Hey,

I found another solution to this problem.

What i did was install BOTH the GMA900 and the GMA950 packages during the install (Jas 10.4.8 Intel-dvd)

After the install i changed my colourscheme from normal to the "Adobe RGB 1998" one

rebooted

and got everything working just the way its supposed to :censored2:

Wait, so by installing both you avoided the black and blue screen while the introductory video was being played and then the subsequent gray screen when you get to the mac configuration?

or is it the PPC/GL thing?

I'm honestly just interested in getting the GMA900 support working so I can ditch this 16 million colors nightmare and have a decent resolution.

It's a shame that I would have to trade between 10.4.6 with QE/CI or 10.4.8 with USB support, built-in webcamera, audio and everything else that didn't work under .6 (trust me, four months of straight trying), but a terrible resolution.

sorry there b612, i was thinking a bit too much about my own config there ;) hope i haven't offended u, its great u made the packages dont get me wrong :)

No, Maximuss, I haven't gotten you wrong!!!! :)

I was sincerely sad you didn't find the solution, because I hoped (and I still hope) someone could finally solve this problem of PPC video apps with GMA 900.

Eventually, after making the packages that everybody can download, I bought a new video card (as you can see from my specs), but I wanted to be able to solve the problem, before surrendering! ;) Well, in a way the problem was solved, because with B612 packages I could use whatever programs I wanted: I just had to click on a pkg to make them all work.

But of course if it is possible to solve the situation without clicking on anything, well, that's much better!

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone, this is my first post, i guess.

Well, my experiences:

I had installed Myzar 10.4.5 DVD and the video was just great (QE/CI) on my dell xps m140 (Pentium Dothan, 1g RAM, intel 915) and ethernet, too, but since there was no audio at all, i had to upgrade (in fact, format-reinstall) to JaS 10.4.8 PPF1 and 2 so i was able to apply the AppleHDA Patcher.

First, installed only with support for gma900. Some problems with partitions. Once i got to start (with external monitor) it showed me some weird blue rectangles over a (dont remember exactly) black? screen. Installed gma950 and cheated the gfx with that famouse dongle (specifically, 1-6, 2-12, no resistors) and then started with my lap LCD.

Started the registration process...bla bla bla. First thing to check out, system profiler...and then im here, because i didnt get QE/CI.

Ive not sayed anything at all so far, but i need some help so i can be a helper.

Question: What is Rosetta? I mean, as i remember some post, some of you got your gfx to work with QE and CI. Why do i need to run QT in Rosetta?

Question: What old kext files do you use? i mean, from wich "distro" are they? Myzar?

Because, if I got to work my gfx with QE/CI using Myzar's 10.4.5 i think i can install it on a Virtual Machine and then grab those old kexts. But since im a mac newbie (beginner, stupid, kid....wherever) i feel a little lost around here.

Plz someone answer my questions, so i may me able to help.

Sorry if there are any writing errors....dont speak english pretty well. (Viva México!)

Greetings, and congrats the hard work. Im joining you

PS I would buy a gfx card, but im stuck : this is a laptop. Enough problems with the Desk PC hardware to be suffering with this ;) BTW any fix for broadcom 440x ethernet? Guess Audio wasn't a good trade for QE/CI and Ethernet

Hi ,

Are u able to work keynote ,photobooth etc ? is that Leopard or Tiger in your machine. I have hp nx6120 with IGMA900 CHIPSET 915 loaded with tiger and keynote was working fine , but when I upgraded to Leopard 10.5 keynote stoped while play. many applications are not working. If you had researched in this would apreciate sharing your experiance on this

Regards

Gopan

• 1 month later...

I started my own OSx86 project when I came across the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD. I tried to install it on my Gateway M460 but I quickly found out that Leopard doesn't support GMA900 so I decided to keep going and got Tiger instead. I was able to successfully install JaS 10.4.8 and now everything works including my display/monitor at 1024 x 768 32.

Interestingly the installation only worked when I did not pick any of the video drivers from the JaS 10.4.8 installation list. This was really counter intuitive especially considering that I have a GMA900 and you would think that I should chose to install that package. I read that others were able to install it that way, so I left it blank and it worked for me.

After reading a bit more, I saw that others were than able to go back and fix/increase their resolution and CI/QE support by installing either the JaS900 driver or by installing Diabolik's GMA900 fix. At first I tried installing the JaS driver that come packaged with the 10.4.8 but that didn't work for me. After the installation, I would have to use an external monitor in order to just get passed the blue screen.

Next, I reinstalled a 10.4.8 (fresh) and tried Diabolik's GMA900 fix and initially it seemed to work but after my 2nd reboot I also got the blue screen and had to plug in an external monitor for it to boot up as well. I'm wondering if I'm using a version of Tiger that doesn't support the GMA900. I'm using the Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2] to be specific and I was wondering if there is anyway of getting this to work (higher res, CI/QE) without having to plug my laptop into a monitor/paperclip.

If this is a 10.4.8 Tiger issue are their any older versions that do work? Perhaps 10.4.7?

I saw this post here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=38078 but it also seems a bit confusing.

Thanks in advance for any feedback,

LJ

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Thank you guys, with these packages, I finally managed to use DVI-D on my 10.4.11, and have QE/CI enabled too.

Previously I had Diabolik's and JaS's fixes, and those caused kernel panic when I plug in DVI-D only. Using "B612.GMA900.back.to.10.4.8.pkg" and "B612.OpenGLfast.pkg", things are working great now. ("B612.OpenGLPPC.pkg" showed me the dreaded blue/black triangles.)

However, there is only one problem left - I cannot use 1280x1024. In Display Prefrences, I cannot change the resolution. If I specify <key>Graphics Mode</key><string>1280x1024x32</string> in the com.apple.Boot.plist, the screen is just blank, I had to VNC in to change it back.

(Also tried 1280x1024x32@60, 1280x1024x32@72, 1280x1024x32@75, and 1280x1024x32@85)

I *guess* the GMA900 is working correctly, just that Tiger isn't dectecting my monitor right.

This is GMA900 on Tiger 10.4.11, with Apple DVI->ADC adapter + Apple Studio 17" Display.

Any idea guys? :huh:

Thanks!

EDIT:

A bit more info.

OpenGL Framework - 1.4.8

AppleIntel915.kext - 1.4.20

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext - 1.4.40

• 8 months later...

I'm reviving this post...

I'm on a Dell GX280 DCNE running 10.4.11 (Upgraded from Jas Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2])

What I did was to install Tiger with the Intel GMA900/GMA950 patches. QE and CI didn't work after install.

When I upgraded from 10.4.8 to 10.4.11 (Apple Software update). But after applying the 10.4.11 patch (using this method http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=107760) I still didn't have QE and CI on the Intel GMA900.

I managed to get QE and CI back after installing B612 GMA900 Support.pkg

Only thing is that I can only choose the resolution 1280x1024. Which doesn't bother me much (I don't think I need to change the resolution just yet)

I was wondering if there's a chance to be able to change resolutions. Does the original GMA900 drivers shipped with the Jas 10.4.8 DVD accomplish this?

The JaS.10.4.8.GMA.900.Support.pkg works as well anbd resolution can be changed. i made it work using BJ's method meaning:

remove all the 950 kexts in the extensions folder

install gma900 package off of dvd

repair permissions

reboot

after reboot you will get a message that AppleIntel915.kext was not installed properly

open terminal...

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo Chmod -R 755 AppleIntel915.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntel915.kext

sudo kextload AppleIntel915.kext

reboot it should work now CI/QE supported

Here's are my GMA900 specs:

2hrcqon.png

Thanks for all the help I've received bny reading this thread :(