Why the GMA900 JaS solution is NOT a solution.

B612

159 posts in this topic

After doing some more investigation, the answer is NO.

I cannot install even the basic package (B612 GMA900 Support.pkg 9 997 517 bytes) downloaded off d* - I get the usual error message. However, the one I've received from you by email (B612 GMA900 Support.pkg 5 001 506 bytes) have installed correcty. But these are obviously different packages. Both of them at initial screen state "This release should avoid the problem of "try to install again".".

PM me if you think some more information could help you to locate the source of a problem.

Go to /Library/Receipts and delete the pkgs of mine you have already installed.

Then try again to install them and tell me what happens. Please let me know as soon as possible, because in awhile I have to go away!

Go to /Library/Receipts and delete the pkgs of mine you have already installed.

Then try again to install them and tell me what happens. Please let me know as soon as possible, because in awhile I have to go away!

I've just deleted 'em, but no improvement for both basic package and PPC compatible.

I've just deleted 'em, but no improvement for both basic package and PPC compatible.

Does the pkg that I PM you still work?

(In that case, would you send it back to me? I would compare it to the new one and find out why)

Let me know!

The one you've just PMed me works fine :D

OK. So I have uploaded all the pkgs again.

Now they work.

How do I know that? It is simple: I understood that they were perfect and they were not working on your computers, because of the system of the torrents, which sees them as folders and therefore modifies them!

So I zipped all the pkgs and posted them again. :)

I would like to thank MichalK for giving his feedback to me (and getting my emails! :)) and also I would like to apologize with those who have downloaded the previous releases, for wasting their time and patience!!! ;)

Now, seriously, download them all and let me know your feedback!

Now, seriously, download them all and let me know your feedback!

I've just downloaded them. This time, everything installs fine just as you have promised ;)

I don't know if you've noticed, but the "PPC compatible" mode have not only the speed penalty, but also lacks some of the OpenGL features. For example iTunes' "visualizer" does not work in PPC OpenGL mode.

Time to save for a 7600gs :P

Thanks B512 for your countless time spent on making this package work :)

Im re-downloading again.

But only 2 seeders, i have to wait 4 hours to finnish download and test it again to see if now is working.

The old ones give me an error when i try to install, when finished the install tells me that "There were errors installing. Try again..."

Im re-downloading again.

But only 2 seeders, i have to wait 4 hours to finnish download and test it again to see if now is working.

The old ones give me an error when i try to install, when finished the install tells me that "There were errors installing. Try again..."

Have you downloaded the one that contain 4 zip files? (~19MB)?

B512, have you checked if iTunes' visualizer is working for you when in "PPC OpenGL" mode as I've mentioned in my previous post?

Have you downloaded the one that contain 4 zip files? (~19MB)?

B512, have you checked if iTunes' visualizer is working for you when in "PPC OpenGL" mode as I've mentioned in my previous post?

Well, thank you very much for your feedback (you gave me one yesterday that I hadn't read!).

The problems given by PPC OpenGL mode in Unibin apps don't concern me at all, since that's only a temporary mode, made only for PPC Video applications, including Sibelius, Powerpoint, etc. After using those applications, what I do (and recommend to do) is anyway clicking on the fast OpenGL, to return to the previous state.

In fact, I made these two packages of OpenGL just to be able to use quickly any PPC apps that I may need.

Since iTunes is Universal, I didn't even think about launching it in PPC mode! :D

Please go to Dem***** and post a feedback there, because some people have written comments on the previous pkgs which didn't work :) , so others could think that this doesn't work either.

Its terrible !!!!!!!!!!!

I loose change resolution, even if i install Go back to 10.4.8.

I tried to reset GMA900 with the Jas PKG (the one is in Install DVD) and my screen looks terrible !!!!!!!

I cant view nothing...black and blue squares !!!!

HELP PLEASEEEEEE

Its terrible !!!!!!!!!!!

I loose change resolution, even if i install Go back to 10.4.8.

I tried to reset GMA900 with the Jas PKG (the one is in Install DVD) and my screen looks terrible !!!!!!!

I cant view nothing...black and blue squares !!!!

HELP PLEASEEEEEE

Are you sure you have a GMA900?

What have you done exactly? (describe every installation in the order you followed).

Have you rebooted?

Have you tried to fix your permissions? (even though that would not be necessary)

EDIT: are you sure you have JaS 10.4.8 new kernel DVD (reseed)?

Yes i know what i do...i have OS X in my PC since September 2005. I used 10.4.1, 10.4.3, 10.4.5, 10.4.6 and 10.4.8.

Im sure i have GMA900, i use de OS X 10.4.8 since november 10 all went perfect...now i installed your packages and lost my system...i cant see my desktop, only appear balck and blue blocks !!!!

THE ONLY WAY I CAN NOW BOOT IS IN SAFE MODE (with -X) !!!!

what do i need to went all back before this installations ????

HELP ME PLEASE!

Sorry for my english, im from argentina.

Maybe you can help me in MSN or IRC channels.

Yes i know what i do...i have OS X in my PC since September 2005. I used 10.4.1, 10.4.3, 10.4.5, 10.4.6 and 10.4.8.

Im sure i have GMA900, i use de OS X 10.4.8 since november 10 all went perfect...now i installed your packages and lost my system...i cant see my desktop, only appear balck and blue blocks !!!!

THE ONLY WAY I CAN NOW BOOT IS IN SAFE MODE (with -X) !!!!

what do i need to went all back before this installations ????

HELP ME PLEASE!

Sorry for my english, im from argentina.

Maybe you can help me in MSN or IRC channels.

which kernel are you using?

Im using Semthex Beta8.

I fixed the problems, y went back to GMA900 Jas DVD.

Ill trash the installers. Were dangerous for me.

Thanx

Could you explain precisely how you fixed the problems, so that other people in your same conditions could take advantage of it?

I dont remember well...

i think i reinstall GMA900 from 10.4.8 Jas DVD reseed with pacifist, then i deleted

/System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Repair permissions and restart.

I hope this help others with the same problem.

Blue/black triangles for GMA900 mean old kexts with new OpenGL.framework; in this case you need to boot into safe mode (with -x switch) and replace either OpenGL.framework with the old one, or the 915 kext with GMA950 patched one. Repair permissions, reboot and voilea :D

I keep both sets on my disk, just in case :(

I've mixed and matched probably every combination of kexts and frameworks from 10.4.4 onward, including various components from within OpenGL.framework, and there is no "magic combination" that will allow you to run both Intel and PPC apps without major issues. It just can't be done. The GMA900 drivers haven't been maintained since 10.4.3, and it was really only a matter of time before they would cease to work properly. We've had a good run, but that's the way these things go. Frankly, I consider myself fortunate that Titan's release pretty much coincided with the demise of the GMA900. Furthermore, I consider myself fortunate that I was able to get a pretty damn good discount on a 7600GT. It was my plan from day one to replace the steaming pile of s**t that is the GMA900, as soon as it was feasible to do so.

Therefore, my advice is to simply get an NVIDIA card. I'm pretty sure Titan works with anything from the GF5 family onward, so you have a pretty wide range of options, and I'm sure you can pick up a used card for <$10, that'll run circles around the GMA900.

For notebook users, the situation is murkier. Obviously, you're not going to be able to run OpenGL PPC apps, but you can still make the Intel ones run as fast as possible! For this reason, I'd take B512's advice and use the new framebuffer kext. You can then use SwitchResX to get your resolutions back - the right way. Make sure you download the Control Panel rather than the Installer.

ok this may be dumb, but here goes...

i've been building a hackintosh HTPC over the past few months (see?) and am considering upgrading it from its current install (JaS 10.4.7 w/ 10.4.4 kernel) to an all-10.4.8 install, like my main hackintosh.

however, the htpc has a GMA900 onboard, so im concerned about the issues mentioned here. basically, what i care about:

- QuickTime playback (for Front Row)

- EyeTV

- Sleep / Wake

- Fixed 1024x786 resolution (all the external VGA->S-Video converter handles :P)

is there any combination of kexts and frameworks which will let me use 10.4.8, or should i stick with 10.4.7/4 ?

tia