Motherboard for Stable OSX Operation

3 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I've been lingering here for a few weeks now and I'm quite interested in taking OSX for a spin on a new computer that I plan on either buying or building.

I've looked at the Dell XPS 410, and some HP and Gateway models, but the general consensus on these are that they are quite hard to get working completely.

So, I've thought about building a computer, I've consulted with a few friends who are more tech savvy, and they have agreed to help me out in putting the machine together.

Anyways, my question is: What motherboard should I purchase to ensure good to perfect compatibility with OSX? Good compatibility means that minimum work is needed to get the software installed, I can make kext adjustments and such to get audio, and network working. I would be buying the motherboard for an Intel Core 2 Duo, probably the e6600, unless I'm making a mistake. I would also like to know if Firewire is a viable technology to get working on OSX.

P.S. Its great to see the community mature, I was an initial installer of OSX, starting with the famed deadmoo image, using dd to copy the image over and the whole bit. I also remember Maxxuss and his revolutionary install dvd. Sadly, I got busy with school, thus I haven't touched the osx partition for quite a while.

Thanks Again for any assistance you may be able to provide.