x1600xt vs 7600GT

8 posts in this topic

I have at this point a x1600xt from gigabyte, performing nice under osx with natit driver.... Now, I wnat to go for a 7600GT from nvidia (leadtek in fact) but , I have no ideea how is performing - The forum started to be so confuze, it is ok that 7600GT ? can I play quake4 and COD 2 ? with the new card (both are working ok now - but under win ati is crappy .....) Should I do the move or not ? :gun:

in terms of specifications, the 7600gt indisputably is the better card. with regards to performance in os x, im not sure which card has the advantage but id guess it would be the x1600xt just because of the more optimized drivers.

I personally just bought a 7600GS to replace my x1600pro. Reasons behind it are:

a) dual display in OS X, can't get my ATI x1600 to work right with dual display, lots of waviness on my main monitor.

B) AIGXL + BERYL + Direct Rendering under Ubuntu.. To run Beryl with ATI you have to use XGL with doesn't support Direct Rendering and this is causing me one big headache.

c) Windows Suck - So I don't even have it installed, can't help you there.

d) I've never liked ATI, I've always been a NVIDIA fan, I just bought the x1600 for OS X to get rid of my GMA950 onboard. I'll stick with NVIDIA here on out.

7600GT is better.

Ops.. I found than i was the unique mineiro here. Hello fredperes i live at Santa Luzia. :)

But, I've the same doubt, now than Natit enabled a good support for Nvidias. I find than if someone send the benchmaker of the your x1600 and other of your 7600, we'd can compare and choose the better.

I have a x1600 pro, but I'm dying to get a 7600gt or 7800gs just because it'll be better in all the OS i use it. (Windows, Linux and OSX) .. it seems nvidia has the same support or better than ati already.

right now intel and nvidia is the way to go.

until amd fusion comes out then we can sit and think for a minute .

also the ati x1950 pro is gonna be some big big competitor for nvidia. only if the linux drivers get better.

• 4 weeks later...
in terms of specifications, the 7600gt indisputably is the better card. with regards to performance in os x, im not sure which card has the advantage but id guess it would be the x1600xt just because of the more optimized drivers.

wrong, i've had both. also why do you think the ati drives are more optimized? you cant even compare both cards really, they arent the same class.

Edited by sg