Presenting: Macfox!

Pu7o

45 posts in this topic

macfox.jpg

Presenting Macfox. A customized version of Firefox tailored specifically to feel like a Mac application. What does Macfox have that's not in Firefox 2.0?

• A Mac-friendly user interface.
  • When you open a page, the progress is seen in the URL bar, like in Safari.
  • Combined Stop/Refresh button, again, like Safari.
  • A theme that's very similar to Safari.
  • Webpages have Aqua controls, as opposed to Windows Classic-style controls.

Screenshot:

macfox_ss.jpg

Download Link:

Macfox 0.1 (DMG, Universal Binary).

Macfox 0.1 requires a G4 processor or higher (The next version will work on a G3), and Mac OS X v10.3.9 or higher.

Why am I doing this? Simple. I like Safari's simple and easy-to-use user interface, however, recently, I've come across several websites which simply do not work right in Safari. For example, searches on Fanfiction.net don't show up at all. And YouTube crashes Safari whenever I try to upload a video. This way, I can have the best of both worlds.

Macfox is a customized Firefox, and as such, it's XUL-based, which means (among other things) that Firefox extensions actually work on this thing. Camino, on the other hand, is the Gecko engine embedded inside a normal Cocoa application, which makes supporting extensions on it completely impossible.

Something I hate of FireFox in Mac is those flat non-rounded (agua) buttons, and also the URL textbox does not behave like other apps in Mac, when I hit up-arrow (go to the left or at the begining) or down-arrow (go to the right or at the end) it shows the list of URLs instead of moving the cursor, maybe there is a setting or preference to change this behavior.