ASUS WL-138g v2

jpschoute

60 posts in this topic

OK. I finally got this card to barely work. It would not connect to the router that was in the same room as the computer. I tried OSX, Windows, and Linux, and this card will not connect to that one router that many other computers can connect to just fine, a Netgear WGR614

It wasn't connecting to the other routers, but did when I moved them closer. A Linksys and a different Netgear router. Again I tried OSX Kalyway 10.5.2, Windows XP, and Ubuntu. In all three OS's the network is unusably slow,slower than dialup, less than 1K/sec. In Windows the reported connection speed says 24, 36, or 48 Mbps, but it is less than 1K.

So this is a problem with the card, or my computer.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'll try the card in a different computer.

EDIT:

The card works fine on an ancient Dell with Windows XP.

I think the difference in Windows might be on the DELL I installed the driver from the CD, and on my hack I installed automatically. I am trying to install the driver from the CD on my hack in XP, but XP will not let me. Even if it is the driver it won't fix my problems in OSX and Linux. But I would like to be able to install the driver from the CD so that I can atleast know this card would work in XP on my computer.

The card is recognized by the OS. I can see the networks around me. But I can't connect to any of them. I tried WEP, WPA, and open. The card recognizes when the router needs a WEP or WPA password, but says "Connection failed".

i just isntalled this card today and it works brilliantly so far!

I did have to fiddle with the antenna because at first it would only connect 1 out of 20 attempts... and even when it connected, my pings to teh router were totally random.. up to 20ms...

i adjusted the antenna slightly.. and bam! connects 1st time every time, pings of 1ms every time.

this is on kalyway 10.5.2

Does anyone have any ideas? I'll try the card in a different computer.

Take the card back and get another.

EDIT:

The card works fine on an ancient Dell with Windows XP.

May be a coincidence. I still say faulty card.

• 1 month later...

Just bought this card. Works out of the box on a fresh Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD install. The card may not connect by itself when you login, but once connected works great, never drops. The card can run slow sometimes (100kb/s). How could i fix that?

Though on a ga-965p-ds3 works perfectly, no problem, but on asus mobo.... more or less. maybe there is a motherboard problem and not the wireless card itself. i will try a clean install with the retail dvd, not kallyway or any of the dvds out there. i'll keep you posted.

After n tests seems that for me worked with a patched ACPIPlatform. make backup of original one, put this one, remove cache, reapir permissions, and try!

so here it is the file.

Please test and let me know if worked for you

AppleACPIPlatform.kext.zip

Just thought I'd report that I finally got this card working with good speeds!

You need to install the Kalyway 10.5.2 Kernel Update in order for it to work. I originally just installed the 10.5.2 Combo Updater...but it MUST have the Kernel update as well for the WL-138G to work with sufficient speeds.

David

I had a strange experience with this card.

Having plugged it into both PCI slots on the motherboard (ASRock Conroe 1333-1394), OS X wouldn't recognize it (nothing showing up in System Profiler, neither in PCI Cards nor AirPort Card). However, after having taken it out and plugging it in again a couple of times and booting the machine, it suddently appeared as a third party AirPort card and worked fine. I think it simply wasn't plugged correctly into the slot the first times, even though the screw was tightened. So anyone with similar problems might check this an extra time.

Anyways, everything is working now, but I agree with qw3rty that the adjustment of the antenna means a great deal.

I am running Kalyway 10.5.2 upgraded from Kalyway 10.5.1 (using the combo update) with vanilla kernel 9.2.2.

This is a full patch for everyone who doesn't have this card running!

add this files to /System/Library/Extensions/ folder

REMOVE THE ORIGINAL ONES FIRST

and install speedstepkernel from 10.5.2 kalyway dvd

or any other patched kernel. seems that vanilla 9.2.2 kernel doesnt' like this card.

Good Luck!

Archive.zip

• 1 month later...
gz, lucky you :) In my case that didn't help. Also it is difficult to connect to the network, most time it will fail or report a timeout.

Jesus, I get the same errors, timeouts etc.

I got ASUS WL138G v2 and Leopard 10.5.2

So I guess there's some bug with the Wireless Adapter & Leopard.

If you want to temporarily bypass this problem make a new Shell Script in Automator with the following:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport /usr/sbin/airport -ANETWORK_NAME --password=YOUR_PASSWORD

Save this as an Application, not a Workflow.

This will allow you to quickly reconnect to your network with a double-click.

I have this card and got the connection problem (drop-outs, PW not recognized, etc.). I knew that my WiFi base was OK, I use it with other computers. That my PC was right, I was using another WiFi card (incompatible with OSX) with no problems. So only the problem was the card...

I read an earlier reply in this topic that suggested to redirect your antenna and, BANG!, it came to me, the antenna isn't right for the card (much smaller than my previous WiFi card). So I changed my antenna for the other's one and BINGO, no more problems.

This card comes with an inadequate antenna but otherwise is perfect for your Hack!

Happy WiFi to all!

• 2 weeks later...
I have this card and got the connection problem (drop-outs, PW not recognized, etc.). I knew that my WiFi base was OK, I use it with other computers. That my PC was right, I was using another WiFi card (incompatible with OSX) with no problems. So only the problem was the card...

I read an earlier reply in this topic that suggested to redirect your antenna and, BANG!, it came to me, the antenna isn't right for the card (much smaller than my previous WiFi card). So I changed my antenna for the other's one and BINGO, no more problems.

This card comes with an inadequate antenna but otherwise is perfect for your Hack!

Happy WiFi to all!

Hey, man! I can't believe! I had tried everything — kexts, kernels, upgrades, plists, but it was still so slow. But when I touched antenna it was back! I still can not believe. I waste so many time cause I didn't believe your advice first time. Thanks, man!

Just thought I'd report that I finally got this card working with good speeds!

You need to install the Kalyway 10.5.2 Kernel Update in order for it to work. I originally just installed the 10.5.2 Combo Updater...but it MUST have the Kernel update as well for the WL-138G to work with sufficient speeds.

David

That probably has something to do with a kernel/System.kext version conflict that tends to wreak havoc on USB devices (causing the USB Mass Storage failure to mount problems among other things); mine runs OOB with 10.5.4 and 9.4.0 kernel/System.kext and is faster than the RTL8187L on my mobo that it replaced. Airport compatibility is so nice, the Realtek utility always took 2 or 3 minutes to launch, with this card I have network as soon as the desktop appears. Works nicely on my Vista install, too!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

the antenna is not the real problem, i tried it too and I felt a difference but not enough, my bandwich pass from 4ko/s to 10Ko/s and my hackintosh is about 2 meters from my router....

at the begin a thought it was an issue with the appleacpiplatform.kext or smbios, maybe a problem with the pci port or something else, but my knowlegde is too low to find the responce, so i tried just during the installation to check only iofamily and broadcom driver in the network section, and guess what, IT WORKS, for many hours, i could download all my utlities at 300ko/s and more, but only for hours..

I go out for lunch, after that I tried the speed just to make sure it was not a dream, and it all fall down and never speedup anymore..... now I feel completly desperate...

I'm on Kalyway 10.5.2, the only one which bring me the sleep fonctionnality on my ep45-ds3l, but only which not dectecting the asus wl-138g v2 during the osx install to bring the wlan feature in it (instead of leo4all v3, or zephyroth "amd only")... if it could help...

SOME BODY HELP ME, HELP US!!!

(ps: sorry my poor english)

I'm on Kalyway 10.5.2, the only one which bring me the sleep fonctionnality on my ep45-ds3l, but only which not dectecting the asus wl-138g v2 during the osx install to bring the wlan feature in it (instead of leo4all v3, or zephyroth "amd only")... if it could help...

You're running on a EP45-DS3L, so why the Kalyway? Why don't you do a retail install, and have mostly vanilla Kexts? I have P35-DS3R and retail install (now 10.5.6). No patches, vanilla kexts, and vanilla kernel. Everything works including the WL-138g V2.

You're running on a EP45-DS3L, so why the Kalyway? Why don't you do a retail install, and have mostly vanilla Kexts? I have P35-DS3R and retail install (now 10.5.6). No patches, vanilla kexts, and vanilla kernel. Everything works including the WL-138g V2.

simply because I'm a newbie and affraid of doing something wrong.... you think it's the Kalyway the probleme (I thought it too this morning, that's why I'm tring to install iDenebv1.3 "10.5.5")

what the meaning of the Tiger iofamily80211.kext, is it necessary for the broadcom chipset of the asus 138gv2 if I checked the broadcom driver, or should I only check the broadcom driver

ps: I would try a retail install once I got the release, I swear!

simply because I'm a newbie and affraid of doing something wrong.... you think it's the Kalyway the probleme (I thought it too this morning, that's why I'm tring to install iDenebv1.3 "10.5.5")

what the meaning of the Tiger iofamily80211.kext, is it necessary for the broadcom chipset of the asus 138gv2 if I checked the broadcom driver, or should I only check the broadcom driver

ps: I would try a retail install once I got the release, I swear!

I said I was running retail with vanilla kexts, I should be more specific. I am running Leopard retail with Leopard kexts. If I was running a kext from Tiger I would have said.

If you are a newbie, then you should be doing as much experimentation as possible while building before you start seriously using a system. This will remove your newbie status ASAP. If you are worried about losing data (and you should be if you have your data, and install on one disk) then get/borrow another hard disk, disconnect the one with your data/stuff on it, and start experimenting with a retail distro. Really these third party distros are meant for people with no clue, or really non-standard hardware, AMD CPU's, non-standard GFX cards, etc. In fact even now, if I had a strange mobo, I would still go the retail install route, and have a USB stick handy with the patches/kexts I need for my hardware. It's the only way to guarantee what you're installing, and the only way to learn. I'm not slagging off the other distro's there is a place for them, but to me it's like the warez scene, or the 0day torrents scene, people just want to appear l33t and first, and all that nonsense.

here's my hardware:

cpu: core2duo E2000; mobo: gigabyte ep45-ds3l; dh: hitachi 500go sata; dvd: LG; mem: 2go kingston; Wlan: asus wl-138g v2

I've choose all my hardware from the HCL of osx86 for 10.5.2 and there are no personnal data on the HD

i have a retail DVD of Leopard from a Mac mini (dont ask me how...), could I tried it on it?

i've dowload the LS8 pack v12, should I use it after the install?

i have dowload broadcom v2 driver from "insanlymac" to, do I have to use it or my Wlan will be detect as well without it (I think I should, but I rather your advise)

What did you do for your 138gv2 to work?

on the contrib dvds I use I have to check some option if I want my MOBO to sleep well... the retail will correct this?

ps: again, sorry for my crapish english

here's my hardware:

cpu: core2duo E2000; mobo: gigabyte ep45-ds3l; dh: hitachi 500go sata; dvd: LG; mem: 2go kingston; Wlan: asus wl-138g v2

I've choose all my hardware from the HCL of osx86 for 10.5.2 and there are no personnal data on the HD

Good choices.

i have a retail DVD of Leopard from a Mac mini (dont ask me how...), could I tried it on it?

Possibly. Some disks installer checks the target hardware and will say "cannot install on this machine" if it doesn't match.

i've dowload the LS8 pack v12, should I use it after the install?

The LS8 pack/method is designed for when you are installing mac osx onto another disk from an existing installation. Useful if you have two macs, or even just one mac with a spare disk (the target can be a USB disk). The pre patch prepares the disk, and post patch (post-install) replaces certain kexts which are not compatible. I'm sure you have the link already -> LS8 method If you have a spare disk (10-20Gb will do fine!) I would install a simple kalyway or whatever is easist on the spare disk, boot from it, and use that to install retail on your main hard disk.

i have dowload broadcom v2 driver from "insanlymac" to, do I have to use it or my Wlan will be detect as well without it (I think I should, but I rather your advise)

No, you don't need it.

What did you do for your 138gv2 to work?

Nothing, it worked out of the box after retail install based on LS8 method. It also worked when I did the Kalyway method some time before I did the retail install, but I found the wlan wasn't reliable.

on the contrib dvds I use I have to check some option if I want my MOBO to sleep well... the retail will correct this?

Follow the LS8 method, and make sure in energy saver preferences that you set the "Restart automatically after a power failure".

ps: again, sorry for my crapish english

No problem, I live in a foreign country myself, so I understand.

I Ahev download the retail install guide for 10.5.6 in order to ake it, but unfortunatly the retail DVD I got is a 10.5.2, so , after the the kalyway install, when in the terminal wrote '/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages' , it send me a message "no such file or directory", so I change tne "Mac OS X Install DVD" to "Mac OS X Install Disc1" (the real name..) it send me the same message, so I can't locate the specific .mpkg to make the install...

some clue? or should a stand for 10.5.6 (already on the way... don't ask me how too..)

(ps: it's a french english, lol)

EDIT: I've found the Osinstall.mpkg on the 10.5.2, my bad.... I continue to progess with it....

• 7 months later...