• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

TheIntrepidSpaceboySpiff

TheIntrepidSpaceboySpiff

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
Well, another retail EFI vanilla install and nothing has changed.

I doesn't connect (timeout or error) and when it does (1-5%) it shows full signal strength but nearly no throughput at all.

I tried to install Windows and none of the versions I had (XPSP2,XP64SP1,Vista64) wanted to be installed. So I am going to exchange the card. rats. Any other option for a Hacintosh WLAN PCI card? A PCIe slot would be available to...

TheIntrepidSpaceboySpiff

TheIntrepidSpaceboySpiff

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
Well, I took the jump and bought a (twice as expensive) D-Link DWA-547 and even though its version 1.00 and not 1.10 as the HCL suggests it works like a dream.
Its even recognized as Airport Extreme and should support 802.11n ^^

No more whining here :)

AndreaGalileo

AndreaGalileo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I'm planing in buying this card soon, here is Switzerland this card is very cheap! I would like to be sure that with my configuration this card will work out-of-the-box and at full speed. I've read post saying its working like a charm and others saying its very slow. I have Kalyway 10.5.2 + vanilla kernel. Am i wasting my money?

Coda

Coda

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I had some problems with the wifi not connecting to my default home network after power-on until I went to settings and stopped/started the interface, but this was in 10.5.1... in 10.5.2 everything is fine. It was a bug in 10.5.1 that caused it, and it wasn't only on this wifi card.

qw3rty

qw3rty

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
I'm having problems getting this to work in 10.5.2. I bought it because it was cheap and I thought it would work out of the box.

The card is recognized by the OS. I can see the networks around me. But I can't connect to any of them. I tried WEP, WPA, and open. The card recognizes when the router needs a WEP or WPA password, but says "Connection failed".

Does anybody have any ideas? It seems like it is so close to working, there must be something I could do.

update: I can create a network on my Hackintosh with this card, and connect to it with my Powerbook. It also works the other direction, I can connect to a airport network created on my Powerbook. Still can't connect to a router though.

Coda

Coda

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
You didn't say which method you installed your system with. The vanilla drivers work fine with this card.

qw3rty

qw3rty

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
I used Kalyway. With EFI and Vanilla.

The card works to connect to a network created on my Powerbook, but not to my routers.

AndreaGalileo

AndreaGalileo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
So there are some issues!!! Anyways i will try it today on Kalyway 10.5.2. Hope it works. I will post my results!

qw3rty

qw3rty

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
I just tried with XP and have the same problem. I can see the networks, but can't connect to them. So this is a problem with either the card itself, or my computer. Or it might just be me.

qw3rty

qw3rty

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
OK. I finally got this card to barely work. It would not connect to the router that was in the same room as the computer. I tried OSX, Windows, and Linux, and this card will not connect to that one router that many other computers can connect to just fine, a Netgear WGR614

It wasn't connecting to the other routers, but did when I moved them closer. A Linksys and a different Netgear router. Again I tried OSX Kalyway 10.5.2, Windows XP, and Ubuntu. In all three OS's the network is unusably slow,slower than dialup, less than 1K/sec. In Windows the reported connection speed says 24, 36, or 48 Mbps, but it is less than 1K.

So this is a problem with the card, or my computer.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'll try the card in a different computer.

EDIT:
The card works fine on an ancient Dell with Windows XP.

I think the difference in Windows might be on the DELL I installed the driver from the CD, and on my hack I installed automatically. I am trying to install the driver from the CD on my hack in XP, but XP will not let me. Even if it is the driver it won't fix my problems in OSX and Linux. But I would like to be able to install the driver from the CD so that I can atleast know this card would work in XP on my computer.

gtmini

gtmini

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

The card is recognized by the OS. I can see the networks around me. But I can't connect to any of them. I tried WEP, WPA, and open. The card recognizes when the router needs a WEP or WPA password, but says "Connection failed".

i just isntalled this card today and it works brilliantly so far!

I did have to fiddle with the antenna because at first it would only connect 1 out of 20 attempts... and even when it connected, my pings to teh router were totally random.. up to 20ms...

i adjusted the antenna slightly.. and bam! connects 1st time every time, pings of 1ms every time.

this is on kalyway 10.5.2

Coda

Coda

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Does anyone have any ideas? I'll try the card in a different computer.

Take the card back and get another.

EDIT:
The card works fine on an ancient Dell with Windows XP.

May be a coincidence. I still say faulty card.

AndreaGalileo

AndreaGalileo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Just bought this card. Works out of the box on a fresh Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD install. The card may not connect by itself when you login, but once connected works great, never drops. The card can run slow sometimes (100kb/s). How could i fix that?

som3on3

som3on3

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Though on a ga-965p-ds3 works perfectly, no problem, but on asus mobo.... more or less. maybe there is a motherboard problem and not the wireless card itself. i will try a clean install with the retail dvd, not kallyway or any of the dvds out there. i'll keep you posted.

After n tests seems that for me worked with a patched ACPIPlatform. make backup of original one, put this one, remove cache, reapir permissions, and try!
so here it is the file.
Please test and let me know if worked for you

Attached Files

Davie

Davie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Just thought I'd report that I finally got this card working with good speeds!

You need to install the Kalyway 10.5.2 Kernel Update in order for it to work. I originally just installed the 10.5.2 Combo Updater...but it MUST have the Kernel update as well for the WL-138G to work with sufficient speeds.

David

grav

grav

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
I had a strange experience with this card.

Having plugged it into both PCI slots on the motherboard (ASRock Conroe 1333-1394), OS X wouldn't recognize it (nothing showing up in System Profiler, neither in PCI Cards nor AirPort Card). However, after having taken it out and plugging it in again a couple of times and booting the machine, it suddently appeared as a third party AirPort card and worked fine. I think it simply wasn't plugged correctly into the slot the first times, even though the screw was tightened. So anyone with similar problems might check this an extra time.

Anyways, everything is working now, but I agree with qw3rty that the adjustment of the antenna means a great deal.

I am running Kalyway 10.5.2 upgraded from Kalyway 10.5.1 (using the combo update) with vanilla kernel 9.2.2.

som3on3

som3on3

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
This is a full patch for everyone who doesn't have this card running!
add this files to /System/Library/Extensions/ folder
REMOVE THE ORIGINAL ONES FIRST
and install speedstepkernel from 10.5.2 kalyway dvd
or any other patched kernel. seems that vanilla 9.2.2 kernel doesnt' like this card.
Good Luck!

Attached Files

kozlowski

kozlowski

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

gz, lucky you :) In my case that didn't help. Also it is difficult to connect to the network, most time it will fail or report a timeout.

Jesus, I get the same errors, timeouts etc.
I got ASUS WL138G v2 and Leopard 10.5.2

So I guess there's some bug with the Wireless Adapter & Leopard.
If you want to temporarily bypass this problem make a new Shell Script in Automator with the following:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport /usr/sbin/airport -ANETWORK_NAME --password=YOUR_PASSWORD

Save this as an Application, not a Workflow.
This will allow you to quickly reconnect to your network with a double-click.

Dan Druff

Dan Druff

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I have this card and got the connection problem (drop-outs, PW not recognized, etc.). I knew that my WiFi base was OK, I use it with other computers. That my PC was right, I was using another WiFi card (incompatible with OSX) with no problems. So only the problem was the card...

I read an earlier replyin this topic that suggested to redirect your antenna and, BANG!, it came to me, the antenna isn't right for the card (much smaller than my previous WiFi card). So I changed my antenna for the other's one and BINGO, no more problems.

This card comes with an inadequate antenna but otherwise is perfect for your Hack!

Happy WiFi to all!

berehon

berehon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

I have this card and got the connection problem (drop-outs, PW not recognized, etc.). I knew that my WiFi base was OK, I use it with other computers. That my PC was right, I was using another WiFi card (incompatible with OSX) with no problems. So only the problem was the card...

I read an earlier replyin this topic that suggested to redirect your antenna and, BANG!, it came to me, the antenna isn't right for the card (much smaller than my previous WiFi card). So I changed my antenna for the other's one and BINGO, no more problems.

This card comes with an inadequate antenna but otherwise is perfect for your Hack!

Happy WiFi to all!

Hey, man! I can't believe! I had tried everything kexts, kernels, upgrades, plists, but it was still so slow. But when I touched antenna it was back! I still can not believe. I waste so many time cause I didn't believe your advice first time. Thanks, man!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy