ASUS WL-138g v2

jpschoute

60 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I run osx86 and it runs really good. I have a belkin 7050 v3000 USB Wireless networkadapter which i use now.

I gotta plug it in everytime to work and use railink prog.

Now the ASUS WL-138g V2 is for sale near me. When i read the WIKI it should be supported as airport in 10.4.8

I searched the forum but did not find much about the card. So i got 2 more hours to buy it have anyone had any succes with the card ?

cheerz

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

1/ edit /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist

2/ search for "<key>IONameMatch</key>"

3/ add line "<string>pci14e4,4318</string>"

4/ save, exit, reboot

5/ go to network preferences and configure - should be listed as AirPort

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hm. I have installed Kalyway but cannot get a decent connection. I see that the device ID is in the kext already and it is recognized as Airport, but it permanently drope the connection. I get full signal strenth, but trhoughput is 3kb/s at best! I just testet and it takes 5 Minutes to load the youtube front page (!). It cannot be a network problem for my powerbook performs just splendid. Any ideas?

So, by now I tried everything I could think of. I turned encryption off and used WEP/WPA/WPA2 PSK - nothing will render this card useful. Is there anybody using this card on a plain Kalyway Leopard install?

The network througput is just unbearably slow, 1,45kB/s peak (!). Please, this hacintosh experience of mine is slowly turning into a nightmare of a timesucker...

So, by now I tried everything I could think of. I turned encryption off and used WEP/WPA/WPA2 PSK - nothing will render this card useful. Is there anybody using this card on a plain Kalyway Leopard install?

I Didn't stay with Kaly long enough to find out, but it works fine for me with retail install. Although sometimes, my default network isn't found when the machine is powered up, I have to turn it off and on again. I think this is a 10.5.1 bug though, rather than a fault with the card.

The network througput is just unbearably slow, 1,45kB/s peak (!). Please, this hacintosh experience of mine is slowly turning into a nightmare of a timesucker...

Unfortunately even now, and even with hand picking the hardware you can still have problems which need man-hours to solve. There still isn't a 'one size fits all' solution that works for everyone. Stick with it, and soon you'll be happy :)

Now that my EFI-vanilla-retail-install is in place I can focus on this card - unfortunately it still doesn't work. The HCL wiki says it works, but using a patch would render it not working, whatever that means.

Could it be that the card is defective? I had a test-install of ubuntu 7.10 and with the proprietary firmware and a driver installed and it still it did not work but showed the described erratic behavior.

I have no vista to install and had to find out that WinXP64 can only be installed on MBR discs.

I would be very, VERY thankful for any helpful suggestions what to try.

Cheers!

Now that my EFI-vanilla-retail-install is in place I can focus on this card - unfortunately it still doesn't work. The HCL wiki says it works, but using a patch would render it not working, whatever that means.

Could it be that the card is defective? I had a test-install of ubuntu 7.10 and with the proprietary firmware and a driver installed and it still it did not work but showed the described erratic behavior.

I have no vista to install and had to find out that WinXP64 can only be installed on MBR discs.

I would be very, VERY thankful for any helpful suggestions what to try.

Cheers!

The problem with Hackintosh is that when something goes wrong and you're banging your head on the wall, we just jump to the conclusion that it's the install, or the drivers. Your hardware can actually be faulty :P

Seriously, if you don't have a 1ft thick brick wall in-between you and the router, take the card back and swap it. I have the same card and it works perfectly.

With a vanilla install, this card works OOB.

With a vanilla install, this card works OOB.

I will have to test that in Windows before I can return it (since a Hacintosh is not officially supported), so I am in the process of organizing a copy of Vista.

In the meantime - does this card look the same in your install?

airport1.png

airport2.png

It is not recognized as a PCI card and only as a third party airport card.

Perhaps there are different revisions? On mine it says

WL-138gE R1.40

WL138G V2 R3.00

Perhaps there are different revisions? On mine it says

WL-138gE R1.40

WL138G V2 R3.00

Well apart from mine being in English, yes. It doesn't say anything about PCI cards in System Profile, just 3rd party airport.

If you are in Germany it's possible that we have the exact same card (I'm next door in CZ). I have the small blue ASUS branded box - WL-138G V2. There is a multi barcode sticker on the front, which has the following details:

UPC: 6 10839 72183 2

EAN: 4 719543 721834

SN: 791EAC032XXX

MAC: 001D0648XXXX

ASUS WL-138G V2

90-I9B0E1-0PAZ 6304

Made in China Sep 2007

The SN and MAC should identify if we have the same cards, even if the UPC and EAN don't...

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I have an XP install on another disk attached to this Hackintosh, and the wireless also works fine there too.

I have the same problem with my 138g v2,..really slow, about 10/15 kB/s, It´s perfectly recognized like a third party airport but it doesn´t work. ;)

Just to check, I created a ~200Mb file from /dev/random and ftp'd that (using terminal, command line FTP) from the hackintosh to the mac-mini. Average rate was 921.90 KB/s and it took 03:45. I should try it from XP and see if there's any difference.

Both of these machines are connected to my wifi access point, not directly to each other. Hackintosh is connected at 54Mb/s. The mac-mini is showing connected at 48Mb/s.

BTW - for meaningless comparison I tried this on the wired connection too: 9.48MB/s and it took 21s. Which is what you'd expect from a 100MB/s line.

Just to check, I created a ~200Mb file from /dev/random and ftp'd that (using terminal, command line FTP) from the hackintosh to the mac-mini. Average rate was 921.90 KB/s and it took 03:45. I should try it from XP and see if there's any difference.

Both of these machines are connected to my wifi access point, not directly to each other. Hackintosh is connected at 54Mb/s. The mac-mini is showing connected at 48Mb/s.

BTW - for meaningless comparison I tried this on the wired connection too: 9.48MB/s and it took 21s. Which is what you'd expect from a 100MB/s line.

Quoting myself...

I did the same tests from Windows XP... and....IT'S MUCH SLOWER!

Same ~200mb file:

WIFI: 616.28 KB/s and took 5:44s which is about 60% of the previous speed

LAN: 8526.99 KB/s and took 24s which is about 90% of the previous speed

So, in conclusion, there's nothing wrong with this wireless card under Leopard! :blink:

Well, another retail EFI vanilla install and nothing has changed.

I doesn't connect (timeout or error) and when it does (1-5%) it shows full signal strength but nearly no throughput at all.

I tried to install Windows and none of the versions I had (XPSP2,XP64SP1,Vista64) wanted to be installed. So I am going to exchange the card. rats. Any other option for a Hacintosh WLAN PCI card? A PCIe slot would be available to...

• 1 month later...

I'm planing in buying this card soon, here is Switzerland this card is very cheap! I would like to be sure that with my configuration this card will work out-of-the-box and at full speed. I've read post saying its working like a charm and others saying its very slow. I have Kalyway 10.5.2 + vanilla kernel. Am i wasting my money?

I had some problems with the wifi not connecting to my default home network after power-on until I went to settings and stopped/started the interface, but this was in 10.5.1... in 10.5.2 everything is fine. It was a bug in 10.5.1 that caused it, and it wasn't only on this wifi card.

I'm having problems getting this to work in 10.5.2. I bought it because it was cheap and I thought it would work out of the box.

The card is recognized by the OS. I can see the networks around me. But I can't connect to any of them. I tried WEP, WPA, and open. The card recognizes when the router needs a WEP or WPA password, but says "Connection failed".

Does anybody have any ideas? It seems like it is so close to working, there must be something I could do.

update: I can create a network on my Hackintosh with this card, and connect to it with my Powerbook. It also works the other direction, I can connect to a airport network created on my Powerbook. Still can't connect to a router though.