Kernel Panic after dialup connection

13 posts in this topic

Hello :help:

i am using JaS 10.4.8 with the semthex kernel plus this natit nvidia driver. Everything runs smooth on a Dell 4600 with Prescott 3.0GHz , 1 Gig ram and a 5200 Geforce. Its almost perfect for now if i wouldnt have this wierd problem with this dialup network. Everytime i connect and open a browser the system shutsdown with this nice screen of a kernel panic. I couldnt find any similar thing in here. Any ideas? Thank you for any help. Where are the logfiles for the network part of the system to try to read out the problems. I read on the Apple page somthing about a update from 10.3 to 10.4 if this happens. But there is nothing to update except a driver or my modem. Could it be my USRobotics Sportser Flash 56k Modem. Would a Apple USB Modem work better? At the moment its wrong to order DSL and in Germany we do have a stupid 24 month bounding contract for broadband connection... :P

The work of JaS and all others are just great, thank you :)

Hello there

i found a log file:

Host Name: painkiller-is-computer

Date/Time: 2006-11-29 09:56:53.419 +0100

OS Version: 10.4.8 (Build 8L2127)

Report Version: 4

Command: Exited process

Path: Exited process

Parent: kernel_task [0]

Version: ??? (???)

PID: 307

Thread: Unknown

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x32abdde8

(null)

Unknown thread crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):

eax: 0x32abdde8 ebx: 0x9080b3ad ecx: 0x90ab1a14 edx: 0x00000000

edi: 0x32abddf0 esi: 0x00621310 ebp: 0xb011a768 esp: 0xb011a734

ss: 0x0000001f efl: 0x00010202 eip: 0x90a54387 cs: 0x00000017

ds: 0x0000001f es: 0x0000001f fs: 0x00000000 gs: 0x00000037

Binary Images Description:

Murphys law in real? Does anyone can see a reason? I dont... . I suppose i have to get myself a flatrate... :D

By the way: i just kicked MCGates from my machine and will go with osx and linux from now an. feels better :)

At the top of this file is the name of the app that crashed. What is it? Also, the name of the file should contain the app's name.

Also, go to the Utilities folder and open Console. On the toolbar, click Logs. Along the left side are all of your logs. Look particularly at system.log around this time: 2006-11-29 09:56:53. The console.log is also good to look at, but the system creates a new one on each boot. To see older ones, click on the following arrows: /Library/Logs/Console/501. Click on the other console.log's to find one for the time above.

Hello

this is the crahs log of the ppp dialup network connection. At least the trial... Everytime i wish to connect the kernel panic appears. And i cant find more than this as a logfile. Every other file just tells about the system startup or some other unimportant things. I would like to wish to know if it is the modem script or a crash of some drivers... :)

Maybe ill find some other scripts or whatever...

Thanks for the help Rammjet

Servus

after reading a bit on apples developers site i could read something from a panic.log but it is only written if remote debugging is disabled. This is for 10.2.x. How is it in 10.4.8.? I did the last security update , with a little hope of something like a bug fix :tomato: . Flaterates for everyone :angel: .

What else i can try to isolate the bug. There is nothing what is telling me whats neseccary. Just good that linux is running well...

Im too give up the serial (dialup) conection....because of these strange kernel panics...I used two macintosh friendly modems.... (zoom 56k v.90 and diamond v.90)....I had test it in all versions of the MAC (INTEL) since 10.4.1 without a success...The very strange thing is that actual conection is made without problem. The kernel panic appears when you start your web browser....

Take care.

I read during the dial up process in the system.log and so i could read a hardware overflow

Nov 29 11:50:22 painkiller-is-computer kernel[0]: ttyioss9000001: Hardware Overflow

Nov 29 11:50:25 painkiller-is-computer configd[54]: target=enable-network: disabled

Nov 29 11:50:30 painkiller-is-computer configd[54]: setting hostname to "o7b6e.o.pppool.de"

and then the kernel gets in panic

but i never can read a exact application problem in what *.log ever

but there must be a solution... i cant really give up thats to anoying... :dev: maybe there is a secret hint in the dungeons of apples homepage.... :angel:

could be the ppp.protocol itself....

I used two macintosh friendly modems.... (zoom 56k v.90 and diamond v.90)....I had test it in all versions of the MAC (INTEL) since 10.4.1 without a success...

@tivimac

maybe it is never really be supported because wether its internal modem (onboard, or something) or this expensice usb modem. And this scripts working randomly, who needs a serial modem if its buildin... (just kiddin)

But does your internet works via ethernet? I didnt had the possiblity yet to test this.

Tell me please :(

Thank you

On real Macs, the only internal modem that OSX supports is an internal Apple modem. It is a special design that connects to a special internal serial port. Real Macs have supported external modems on USB.

I don't think OSX will support any sort of Winmodem on PCI. And I think it is unlikely that it will support an external modem on a serial port because real Macs no longer have external serial ports. Although OSX seems to recognize my serial ports with nothing currently attached.

So, your best bet is to try a USB modem that has support in OSX (see /Library/Modem Scripts) or maybe an external serial modem.

So, your best bet is to try a USB modem that has support in OSX (see /Library/Modem Scripts) or maybe an external serial modem.

the modem i am trying to connect me to do web is a external serial us robotics 56k "sportster flash" , so if there is a modem script for these modems it is possible that they are supported, i think

But i found something in the system.log, shows up everytime i start the connection process:

Nov 30 21:19:29 Painkillers-Computer configd[53]: executing /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Kicker.bundle/Contents/Resources/enable-network

Nov 30 21:19:29 Painkillers-Computer configd[53]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change

Nov 30 21:19:29 Painkillers-Computer lookupd[246]: lookupd (version 369.6) starting - Thu Nov 30 21:19:29 2006

Nov 30 21:19:29 Painkillers-Computer configd[53]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change

Nov 30 21:19:29 Painkillers-Computer lookupd[247]: lookupd (version 369.6) starting - Thu Nov 30 21:19:29 2006

Nov 30 21:19:29 Painkillers-Computer configd[53]: setting hostname to "o7ae4.o.pppool.de"

Nov 30 21:19:31 Painkillers-Computer configd[53]: target=enable-network: disabled

what does the last entry means?

Is there any positiv thing aboout this usb modem from apple on a x86?

• 3 weeks later...

Well

now i kind of solved my internet problem: there is a company called devolo and they sell a dialup modem with lan connector. :D

http://www.devolo.com/co_EN/produkte/analog/ml56kfunlan.html hope this is not forbidden to bring such a link here :tomato:

so for everyone who has the same strange problems with dialup connections and serial modems, maybe this is a option. I just payed 22 Euro for it and it just works fine.

This modem uses the pppoe protocol and it doesnt crash if i open a browser and try to load a page...

Now i do enjoy this nice os :star_smile:

On real Macs, the only internal modem that OSX supports is an internal Apple modem. It is a special design that connects to a special internal serial port. Real Macs have supported external modems on USB.

I don't think OSX will support any sort of Winmodem on PCI. And I think it is unlikely that it will support an external modem on a serial port because real Macs no longer have external serial ports. Although OSX seems to recognize my serial ports with nothing currently attached.

True but Mac OS X supports Serial Ports and other modems, In a PowerPC Mac 9600 that has Serial port different Modems work.

And incredible is that my USR Robotics modem works well too.

I tested very because the main purpose of that modem is to dial numbers of AddressBook contacts.