Help Me Get OS X ON PS3

mdawg4624

115 posts in this topic

(totally of topic)

Mash, do you know if the smiley face animations are simple gif files. I'm sure they were made as gif's, but what are they concidered now? And if I make some can I transform them to be used in my postings with whatever file extension that is needed? ;)

totally ofF topic, did you just seriously ask that question?

• 1 month later...

Anyone that says that the PS3 sucks is an idiot.

The PS3 is the most powerful home computing platform on the planet right now.

Sony loses $300 per box because that is how expensive they are to make.

The problem is that game developers dont know yet how to use the hardware to full potential.

I have Yellow Dog Linux installed on mine.

Can you do that on your WII? XBox360?

The problem is that game developers dont know yet how to use the hardware to full potential.

sounds like a bunch of horse shit.. game developers don't know yet? hahahahaha

Edited by guyin916

Well, actually zedzed is partially right.

The problem with new systems is that Game Developers do not know what kinds of things work, and which kinds of things dont.

For the first year, most are still using older generation gaming engines that have not been optimized to best make use of the hardware.

They literally are developing for a completely new OS on a completely new architecture.

Sure, in many cases it is just press compile with a new system profile, but every once in a while not everything will work as it should. There are always slightly better ways of doing things, new libraries to use and every once in a while an updated compiler that makes microcode optimizations to make your existing code run a little bit better.

Compare Halflife Blueshift with Blueshift Source, in the end, you have the same game just running under a new engine. The source engine makes better use of newer graphics cards giving a little more of a visually stunning experience at the same framerates. Sure, the more visually stunning part comes due to a High Definition pack replacing some of the older resource files with newer higher resolution versions.

It is rather that the Game Developers do not yet have the tools to make more powerful, resource intensive games but that is because Engine Designers have yet to finish up their newer Engines.

And what ? a single xeon quad core cost more than a PS3 so it's more powerfull, isn't it ?

I can also install Linux on a 5 years old PC. It doesn't mean that my PC is the most powerful home computing platform ...

Lol this is dumb. Once u get os x on there, what are you gonna do? Nothing. Just sit there and look at it. If you were gonna pay $600 for a ps3 for the soul purpose of getting os x on there, you should have just bought mac mini. Just use the ps3 for gaming, or else give it to me.

We were amongst the first to do x86 and x64 machines. Not to mention, I personally got it to run on machines as old as SSE and SSE2 machines.

OSX on SSE.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please provide me a link to the download sir...,

my old SSE ONLY AMD sempron is dying to run OSX on it.. it also cries daily..

Does anyone know of a forum where we can actually discuss darwin on PS3 without having the thread filled out with junk? Sometimes I wonder if MS hires people to bash the PS3...

Yes, because we have all been paid to bash the PS3. In that case, where's my check?

Now, to the guy who started this post -

In all seriousness, why would you buy a PS3, just to come on here, "ask" for help, then get mad when no one takes you serious? I'm willing to guarantee that not very many people have PS3's and if they do, they probably use them for gaming, instead of installing unsupported OSes on them.

Just calm down. If someone wants to help you, I'm sure you'll know.

Edited by Justin R.

Well, think of it this way...

For most of the life of computing, at identical clockspeeds RISC does offer substantial performance benefits to CISC.

However, current Intel processors incorporating SSE3 and the ultra-bleeding edge SSE4 incorporate many of the RISC benefits through microcode optimizations.

Sure, SSE4 is not yet in production units but it is currently slated to find it's way into Intel's Penryn processors slated for release this year.

This has been the key thing that has been increasing actual performance in the x86 world where clockspeeds on the newest chips are even lower than they were several years ago.

Sure, many of those performance enhancements are made up through adding multiple processing cores, effectively doubling/quadroupling your effective clockspeed, however compare an Intel Pentium4 2.8GHz Northwood processor from 2003 to an Intel Pentium4 3.0 GHz Cedar Mill processor from 2006 and you will easily see a 30% performance increase through operations like Video Rendering.

The only reason why I chose the 2.8GHz Northwood compared to the 3.0Ghz Cedar Mill is because I have both sitting down the hall running in video editing workstations, running the same version of Pinnacle Systems' (now Avid) liquid.Blue Video Editing software, running the same version of Windows XP Professional with SP2, with the same 74GB Raptor 10,000 RPM drives, both with 4GB of memory.

In truth, it has always been difficult to perform a direct comparison of one processor architecture to another in a fair manner.

This is because most applications are optimized to run under a certain architecture, and in many cases will not even run at all without substantial modifications when cross-compiled.

While the Cell architecture may come out on top on paper, the problem is that some experts do not believe that the architecture is scalable in the long term, meaning that by the time Applications are written to take advantage of the performance benefits and become main-stream, there may be other performance enhancements under other architectures.

For example, look at how fast Intel and AMD are moving with their multi-core processors. By the end of this year, Intel has an 8-core processor slated for release (Hampertown).

~Adrian

is everyone forgetting that this arguement about the ps3 is a) off topic B) stupid fanboy nonsense (go take your wii that cant run in hd and throw it out the window, xbox 360 is going to require 20 dvds to exploit the hardwares potential, ps3 is so expensive i could buy a gpu or two and out run it, there, you can bash any system. i happen to like the ps3 but this is not the thread for that!) c) is totally irrelevant because its an opinion, and d) really annoying. :thumbsup_anim:

and BACK ON TOPIC, it is currently impossible unless someone writes drivers for the ps3's hardware, breaks the ppc protection (or is the ppc disk protected, im not sure?) and also you would have to write a bootloader, and i know apple is not going to do any of those, so happy coding of all the drivers and writing a bootloader :dev: although itd be cool if it did work....

good luck guys! and why do a bunch of people keep asking if you can install it on ps3?

Very interesting project... now I am enrolled into Gentoo PS3 edition but I would like support this project too. I bought a Jap PS3 a few month ago and since now I played games for 30mins :gun:

Damn work and... damn hacking! ;)

I have a PS3 too, I don't think this would work unless you were able to recompile OS X for the Cell (which you can't, since you're not Apple.) Sony did indeed say that OS X, Linux and (maybe?) Windows could run on the PS3, but I believe this was more in the sense of "PS3 could run these OSes" than "PS3 will run these OSes".. as I'm sure you can understand. It's pretty obvious they can't do anything with OS X unless Apple approves of it.

As for the living room idea, what the hell? I might be confused but if you want to use the PS3 as a media centre on your TV, the excellent XMB software should be a lot better\easier a solution than spending hours hacking OS X onto the box and then using the "wow shiny" Front Row. The PS3 can play movies, music, photos, CDs, SACDs, Blu Ray movies and DVDs in far more integrated and clean a fashion than Front Row ever would, so I think you should just stick to it the normal way and use the default firmware - it really is good software.

Well... i came to this thread because it seemed very promising. Of course i was forgetting that half the people on the internet behave like whiny 14 year olds and most of the 4 pages of discussion seem to follow the lines of "lol fool, that wont work" "ps3 sucks" ps3 doesn't suck" "you suck" , and so on. (and please don't quote that line and then say something like "U SUXORZ" cus that will just prove me right. I don't WANT to be proven right on that particular sweeping generalization because i like to have faith in humanity).

Anyway, on topic, and ignoring subjective views on the PS3's relative merits, i doubt you'll get OSX running on it without some serious re-programming. Because while it should be able to run on the general purpose PPC core of the ps3, it'll probably need to be tricked into accepting all the unusual hardware in the PS3. Now this isn't impossible, because the unix for of mac osx is open source -thus the guy who hacked the 10.4.8 kernel. it might be possible to do something like that, but then i don't know if the non-open source bits would still work.

More importantly though, there's really no advantage, and won't be unless basically apple decide the want to support the PS3. Which seems unlikely. Because for the Cell to really shine you need to use its 8 SPUs, which non of the stuff for osx does. Also, you're likely to be banging your head against a wall for a long time on this, when there's already officially supported linux distros (yellow dog linux is the official one). Admittedly they lack a lot of the coolness of OSX, but if you want firefox and Openoffice it should to the trick.

Finally, it's true that the ps3 has pretty limited ram (256 of XDR clocked at core speed, which means its very fast at least). One idea which makes sense to me tho i haven't seen it mentioned anywhere is to get a good quality SD card with a fast read/write speed (one of those 10* or something). you stick it in the reader slot and get the operating system to treat it as a swap partition. With a bit of hacking you should get the same effect as Vista's readyboost (linux already kinda supports this through its swap system).

Placid, in many cases, you are abosolutely correct about OS X being unlikely to make use of the SPUs.

However, the Cell Architecture can natively run and execute unmodified PPC64 code.

It is not like Cell is this whole new architecture that requires all of it's code to be completely recompiled to run.

However, all that being the case, I think that it is unlikely to get OS X booting on a PS3 any time soon.

The problem here is the bootloader. Sure, you could have a starting point with OpenDarwin, merging in some code from Kboot, and then wrapping it all up with a custom kernel, however until Mach incorporates support for the SPU, performance will really not be that great not even taking into account the drivers issue.

What is far more likely is that MOL (Mac on Linux) gets updated with PPC64 support and then someone makes a super-specialized PS3 distribution with the bare minimums and then running OS X inside of a Linux Wrapper. That being the case, one should be able to set up load balancing between the CPUs and SPUs through simple threading handled by the Linux Kernel and then lead OS X to believe that it really has one single processor.

If one were to take that solution, there would not need to be kernel modifications, drivers would not be an issue because MOL already has a bunch of drivers written for the things that dont work out of the box with a normal OS X installation.

They keep asking because Sony said that it was possible back in the day.

Oh, :hysterical: they slipped on that one! although i have to admit it would be sweet if it did, but the thing is i sware there were at least like 5 other threads with this same goal/question rofl, oh well, one day i might eat my words and it will run, we do have some really good hackers, although highly unlikely.