Vista RTM Experience

VN Man

69 posts in this topic

programs i have installed:

-Combined Community Codec Pack (installed under xp sp2 compatibility mode)

-ms office 2003 pro

-gaim 1.5 w/ unofficial msn patched dll

-quicktime alternative final

-pharos (university software for wireless printing)

-bitcomet .79

-vlc player

-total video converter (great for converting youtube, etc rips)

-mirc latest version

-firefox 2.0 w/ greasemonkey, adblock plus, fasterfox, forecastfox, and ex aequo theme (vista theme)

-winrar

drivers:

-intel gma950 official wddm release

-intel storage matrix

-intel chipset inf updates

-hp/compaq hid buttons (xp version)

though i'm using the billgates edition, in 6-8 weeks i get a free upgrade xp home to vista home basic courtesy of hp/compaq. i plan to pay the difference to get home premium. we'll see.

i attached 2 thumbnails. one is aero flip 3d. the second is start search in action. i really like start search. it integrates beautifully with gaim contacts, outlook 2003, and such. copied idea from osx? i don't care. i like the way things work. and with cccp, it's pretty damn stable when using wmp11 to play anything.

-patrick

post-18998-1165928802_thumb.jpg

post-18998-1165929802_thumb.jpg

Some people here really do miss the point!

Do we actually need it? People now know XP and any deficiencies it may have people easily surpass..

Ask Microsoft if Vista is ready and they will say "Yes", so now we know what their definition of ready is. In truth it isn't.

Secondly, as someone who spends a lot of money on IT infrastructure, I haven't yet seen anything in Vista that justifies a new rollout i.e. It doesn't give my workers a leap in productivity. We all know PC's spend most of their time in MS Outlook, MS Office and Internet Explorer. So who cares about it's new use of memory. Fantastic, amazing, wonderful, it still doesn't make my staff any smarter. Most people use at most 20% of the functionality of the software they use. Most struggle with creating fancy eMails!

So I know that Vista isn't going to increase productivity and I also know that with PC's software maintenance is the biggest consumer of cash, keeping it running... If Vista isn't really ready, then why bother, it costs me money to upgrade, faff about and have engineers running around because software that previously worked, now doesn't! I'd rather wait until the cost to change is more tangible.

Personally, I've never seen a Microsoft OS that was built particularly well and even ideas such as the registry seemed bad then and still do. I get the feeling that they are desperate to showcase something but in reality, their main customer base isn't particularly interested in OS's and computers and those that are, don't want a Microsoft OS anyway.. We seem to forget that for most, a computer is a tool and when all your doing is sending out spreadsheets, eMails and letters, you don't need the sharpest tool in the box!

I think many corps have had their fingers burnt in the past, it's an expensive exercise to keep pace with MS and a path that doesn't give a decent return on your investment! Coupled with the fact that there are more significant uses of technology such as applications that actually deliver business value then I think MS will have to handhold a lot of large corp accounts into this transition.

My final point is this: If Microsoft say it is ready, it should be due any criticism you can throw at it. It was their choice to release it now..

All file systems eventually need to be defragmented ^_^

Twice as much for overclocked systems.

I would check your information and look at XFS... I have never had to defrag it.. its possible but useless to do so with the percentile of fragmented data I have.

Such as here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFS Using a good filesystem helps however XFS does need a UPS otherwise if you have a powerfailure you can lose data :) But thats the way it goes.

Edited by SlicerDicer

fewtrees, my screen shots definitely showed productivity. you failed to analyze how tightly integrated *start search* has been integrated with outlook 2003. i typed in "newegg" and almost instantly it showed emails all the way back from a year and a half ago. how productive is that compared to advanced search in regular outlook 2003? it takes forever in outlook 2003. with my other fancy screenshot of the flip 3d, it actively shows the activity shows the action of each screen. and with a high enough resolution monitor, you can see the sharpness of what exactly is going on. you only proved to me that you are ignorant and probably only saw my screenshots as something useless. come back when you're done crying a river about your version of productivity.

I would check your information and look at XFS... I have never had to defrag it.. its possible but useless to do so with the percentile of fragmented data I have.

So you're saying I'm wrong but in the same sentence you claim you do get fragments, just in amounts you think are minimal :huh:

I repeat "any" file system will fragment if data is moved or erased :)

I still don;t understand why there is so much reason to defend this os. First of all, as always i get my annoying pop-ups telling me just about everything vista feels like telling me at the bottom right. Evertime i want to install the slightest program i get my screen to freeze and make me allow the program to be used, i don;t need any warning to install a program without a any reason behind it, i wouldn't have wanted to install a program if i didn;t want to....

WOW...and they say ignorance is bliss?!? :)

Try finding User Accounts in the control panel (if you know what that is), and click the line that says "Turn User Account Control on or off".

Take the tick out of "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer".

You'll have to reboot afterwards.

It sure would take less time than it took you to type that useless cr@p you just posted, and your "annoying pop-ups" will be history. :huh:

For all of you complaining about vista, I think it's great. The one main feature it has that windows has needed is the UAC. Now a lot of you complained about it. Why? Because you were use to doing what u wanted when u wanted because you ran as admin all the time. Now in vista I can finally run as a regular user and if I need to do some admin work, I just enter in the admin password, and that's it. Then I'm back to my regular user account and with UAC turned on, nothing can get accidentally installed without my permission. It's made me a happy user now that I can do that.

Second is the new gui. Looks fine to me and for all those that it doesn't do all these fancy shmancy animations, they're in their still. But not active because there was no user benefit to having them active. In a month's time you would tire of them and just turn it off. Hence Microsoft disabled them. I'm sure third party software will come out to enable them later on so you can have all the fancy windows animations like the genie effect and the windows that wiggle as you move them. But they don't enhance the usability what so ever.

Now I did find the new control panel a little daunting until I started using the builtin help search function. It was then so easy to find stuff with that. Much easier then the one in windows xp that it defaulted to.

Now there is one complaint. How do I search for a specific line of text in files? Like the line "help" in all files matching the pattern *.txt. I don't see the option. Could do that with the old search utility, not with the new one. So if anybody could enlighten me that be great. But other then that, the new search function is great. Live searching really is a great feature.

The firewall is also good. It now uses the ipsec built in firewall ability that's been around since windows 2000 and has builtin profiles of what ports should be open and which ones shouldn't be. These built in profiles make it simple to decide what type of network you are connected to. Plus it supports checking applications as they try to access the internet, it asks you first so that you can allow it. Of course with UAC on, you need to enter in the administrative password, which is how it should be. And the improvement is that it asks you everytime instead of if the application is trying to be some sort of server.

It also prevents applications that run at startup that need administrative access from running, and instead asks you if it can be run or not asking for the administrative password. Keep it coming I say.

I also like the new start menu. With my mouse and it's scroll wheel, it is great to be able to scroll through the list with minimal effort. It is much better then the old system where you'd have to move the mouse around. It takes some getting use to, but once that's over, it is a great way to put it.

Now for those that are complaining about compatibility. Wait for drivers to become available and that are final, not beta. Wait for applications to be made vista compatible. There's a reason why consumers gotta wait till January 30/2007 to get it. So that all this can get done. Anyone complaining about all this when you can't even buy it as a consumer really either shows you're a mac biggot or just an idiot. Take your pick.

Edited by pyrates

So, here it is, localised Vista Business from my university´s MSDNAA program. 64bit, isn´t that fast. The ONE 3D effect is useless. And it uses much more RAM than XP on my laptop. 500MB of 1GB used after booting into the desktop. Nothing else installed. This is way too much. I already deactivated all 3D effects, shadows, ... Well, it is now a little faster.

But what can be done to improve the speed ? What kind of services can be deactivated ? Are there any useful tips ?

So, here it is, localised Vista Business from my university´s MSDNAA program. 64bit, isn´t that fast. The ONE 3D effect is useless. And it uses much more RAM than XP on my laptop. 500MB of 1GB used after booting into the desktop. Nothing else installed. This is way too much. I already deactivated all 3D effects, shadows, ... Well, it is now a little faster.

But what can be done to improve the speed ? What kind of services can be deactivated ? Are there any useful tips ?

haven't you read the other postings on why vista eats up your ram? i don't feel like telling you why. if you really care, you would go back and read.

vLite 0.6 - Vista Lite

"Windows Vista from Microsoft takes a lot of resources, we all know that. So here is the tool for easy removal of the unwanted components in order to make Vista run faster and to your liking.

vLite can also create the bootable ISO and apply the tweaks directly.

This tool doesn't use any kind of hacking, all files and registry entries are protected as they would be if you install the full version only without the components you select for the removal.

It configures the installation directly, before the installation, meaning you'll have to remake the ISO and reinstall it. This method is much cleaner, not to mention easier and more logical than doing it after installation on every reinstall."

· new: 64bit Windows Vista version support

· new: Windows Easy Transfer

· new: Windows Image Acquisition

· new: Windows Collaboration

· new: Scanner drivers

· update: Better filter managment

· update: When DVD selected it prompts to copy

· fix: non-Bootable DVD when using Direct Burn

· fix: Performance page dependency

· fix: Media center dependency

· fix: Windows Cardspace dependency...

ss1.png

ss2.png

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5387.html

Or you could just go to the homepage: www.vlite.net

With respects to the "XP vs Vista" RAM comparisons, again, learn something about Vista before mouthing off about it. It's not XP, it's better - if you can't find the docs to figure that out, lemme know and I'll link you up with stuff to explain why Vista uses more RAM.

And again, my analogy holds: why would you pay good money for a Ferrarri that can go 180 MPH if you'll never go over 55? Why pay oodles of cash for a computer with a high end processor, expensive and very fast RAM, and gobs of hard drive space if most of that stuff is going to sit there idle 90-95% of the time like it does on most nearly every computer on the planet?

If you're running some kind of distributed computing application (Folding@Home, SETI@Home, etc) that's great and dandy if you feel like wasting processor cycles on something that may or may not ever actually prove useful I'm one of those conspiracy folks that believe in aliens and fact that the cure for cancer/AIDS and most any other disease is probably sitting in a vault someplace locked up - remember, it's more profitable to treat diseases than it is to cure them).

And if you've spent a ton of cash building such a monster machine just for games, you should have coughed up $600 for a PS3 and been done with it.

Vista isn't an idle OS like all previous versions of Windows are/were. It does stuff, all the time; it puts that horsepower to use and that RAM to make things go faster. It's not meant to be shutdown several times a day, hence the defaults now are "Sleep" when you power down instead of a full shutdown. Anyone that fusses about how much RAM it uses obviously just doesn't have a clue about it, and it's been RTM for a few weeks now with lots of available data to back up why it works the way it does.

But it's so much easier to complain about it without actually knowing much at all. One guy on another forum I frequent actually created a long post recently offering his "Thoughts About Vista" and right in the first sentence he said "While I haven't actually run Vista yet, I've been reading about it on the Internet and here's what I think..."

I shot him down multiple times in a reply... good lord... talk about uninformed opinions... :)

Vista works fine as it is, and it will only improve over time. It's not XP, that's the biggest issue I wish people would come to grips with, so stop comparing it to the old stuff. Embrace the new stuff, learn something, move on...

ok I just screwed my vista for letting windows update be enabled.

now validation is doomed.

btw. Vista even though it uses more ram it makes better use than XP does..

Windows keeps sucking version after version but we'll see how vista is

I've liked win2k3 (tweaked for home/gaming) by eXPerience Edition and Vista than any other win OS

Edited by RobNyc