Running Doom 3

zfire89

23 posts in this topic

there has to be away to get around the g5 requirment

There is! It's called eMac.

It's 799 bucks, has a detestable (to rich Dual G5 owners) G4 processor, humble 167MHz bus, Radeon 9600 graphics.

And it plays Doom 3 quite nicely... If you can stand VGA rez. I've also seen Doom 3 on the 999 dollar iBook with Radeon 9550. It's breathtaking running on a beautiful machine.

Btw does any 3D game run on X86 OS X at all? The closest I've come is Warcraft III. It's almost playable, but it hung after 5 minutes! The only game that I found to be (very) playable so far is that Zuma clone. But that's 2D.

HShin> i don't seem to think that my post about working games has been read. I've tested a lot of games:

Working:

Max Payne

Quake 3

Racer

Return To Castle Wolfenstein

Warcraft III

Worms 3D

Unworking:

Age Of Mythology (craches after game launch, menu colors are all messed up)

AVP2 (missing OpenGL extension, maybe lack of the port or the gma900)

Call Of Duty (simply crashes)

Ghost Master (launches but menu is unusable)

MTX Mototrax (craches after game launch)

Splinter Cell (simply crashes)

You must note that the first port of OpenGL is missing some stuff, so I suspect newer updates to *possibly* make working some of those unworking games :D

I got about 100 games on Mac, so I should start a game compatibility list on the Wiki B)

(forget)

HShin> Worms 3D is faster on my mactel than on my eMac :P

For fun, I tried CCG Zero Hour on my 915 board.

Gets all the way to game start, but then the vid craps out immediately prior to game start regardless of resolution / windowed / fs. I have QE and CI enabled.

WC3, works for me, though some menu (button) text doesn't show up on any resolution except 1024x768x32 ... and not reliably even then.

Bah.. I'm just still in shock at having entered the Twilight Zone.

has any one tried to run doom 3, just to see if it was even possible?

This is why I dual boot. Games on the windows drive, anything else I do is in OSX as long as its compatible. How I'd love losing the Windows ball and chain though...

• 1 month later...

two suggestions:

1.) have you thought about trying to emulate a windows environment for games? because one of the reasons the MAC games arn't working is because they expect the proccy to behave like a power pc, not an x86

2.) have you ever thought about NOT buying a motherboard with (detested by real gamers) INTEGRATED GRAPHICS, and springing for a reasonable graphics card? (x600/x700 pro)

Just like to say to guile i dont know what your testing your games on but i can assure you call of duty does actually work, On the gma 900 and the gcube ati x600 pcie and as for war craft the menus are absolutly fine on the ati card ,,,,,,, just my 2 cents worth fellas

I just dld the Doom 3 Mac demo and it works at an almost playable speed when you set the detail to low. At first it seems playable, but once you've gone through a couple of levels, you'll notice that it does slow down sometimes, frequently enough for me to call it "almost playable." Speed issues aside, the graphics are all fsck'd up, clearly making it unplayable. Overall I was quite surprised it ran as well as it did, considering it needs a 1.5GHz G4 min.

UT04 Demo works too. The graphics are fine but the speed is unplayable, no matter how low I set the graphics. I'm a little puzzled as to why this game, which requires a 933MHz G4, runs significantly slower than Doom 3 which demands a 1.5GHz G4.

• 2 months later...
if you try and play starcraft it just says "starcraft is not supported on this architecture"

Starcraft doesnt open becuase its for classic. If you go to the apple website and go to the games section, search for 'starcraft' and download the starcraft forr os x downloader. Make sure you have a cd key ready, thats all you'll need.

HShin> i don't seem to think that my post about working games has been read. I've tested a lot of games:

Working:

Max Payne

Quake 3

Racer

Return To Castle Wolfenstein

Warcraft III

Worms 3D

Unworking:

Age Of Mythology (craches after game launch, menu colors are all messed up)

AVP2 (missing OpenGL extension, maybe lack of the port or the gma900)

Call Of Duty (simply crashes)

Ghost Master (launches but menu is unusable)

MTX Mototrax (craches after game launch)

Splinter Cell (simply crashes)

You must note that the first port of OpenGL is missing some stuff, so I suspect newer updates to *possibly* make working some of those unworking games :blink:

I got about 100 games on Mac, so I should start a game compatibility list on the Wiki :thumbsup_anim:

(forget)

HShin> Worms 3D is faster on my mactel than on my eMac :gun:

these games that you say are working is that with a supported graphics card or is it simply VESA 3.0?

Can assure you m8 age of mythology call of duty mtx mototrax do actually work m dont know what your running but look at my spec m bcos all games run perfect

Call of Duty playable (>10fps), or simply runs? What about Ghost Master and Splinter Cell? Are these games running off the X1600?