Linksys WUSB54GC kext for 10.4.8

Simania_NL

58 posts in this topic

i downloaded the driver and kext, im attempting to get this running on a mac mini g4 1.25ghz running 10.3.9... anyone have any further suggestions?

thanks,

michael

If you followed the directions it should work. Is the light blinking? Does the USBWirelessUtility show any networks?

I used Craig's instructions and my WUSB54GC works in 10.5.1, but I have to unplug it and plug it back in for it to be recognized. I do this every time I start up my Hackintosh.

Is there any way to get it to recognize and connect automatically?

Thanks

just thought I would post a small up date, everything worked great but the link for me, so

http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/RTUSB%20..._2006_11_10.dmg

and in case this link goes dead, got to www.ralinktech.com click support at the top of the page, click Mac and then download the USB

(RT257x/RT2671) driver and it works GREAT!!!!

Thanks again!

I used Craig's instructions and my WUSB54GC works in 10.5.1, but I have to unplug it and plug it back in for it to be recognized. I do this every time I start up my Hackintosh.

Is there any way to get it to recognize and connect automatically?

Thanks

JR-

Did you try booting with a "-f" flag at the Darwin prompt? Me and several others (I think most everyone who's tried this has needed it) need it to work every single boot; try that and hopefully it'll solve your problem. If that doesn't help, I'm not exactly sure what to tell you...I just modified an existing solution, I really don't know much else! :rolleyes:

-Craig

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

My WUSB54GC card is recognized in Jas 10.4.8 (thanks to the drivers mentioned on this forum!), but 10.4.8 says it's inactive. No matter what I try, it stays inactive.

It sees my wireless network at home, but I can't connect to it (WPA-TKIP).

Is there a way to activate the card, except by selecting it in the Network Assistant (which doesn't work)?

I'm a OS noob so I consulted 10.4.8 for dummies, O'reilly's, but to no avail. It seems a genuine Mac doens't need to be configured like Windows...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Toine

UPDATE: I'm online!! It's just that this driver, or 10.4.8, or whatever can't manage WPA!

I edited my wireless setup so it hasn't any security (except MAC-address) and I'm online as I'm typing :D

Now I need to find out what security does work...

Thanks for all the drivers and info on this forum. As you can see, there's still pieces missing though.

But, here's another piece of the puzzle solved :(

Cheers, Toine

Hello,

I am having severe problems trying to configure the WUSB54GC to work with OS X 10.4.11.

I have found 3 different sets of steps posted by different users that have all claimed to have gotten it to work. However, all 3 of these instruction sets are flawed in their explanations. For example, none of these mention that the info.plist file and corresponding Content folder are read-only, THIS IS A CRUCIAL STEP NOT MENTIONED! How do you forget to mention that? An average computer user is supposed to know how to change this? So, I made the Content folder and files inside it Read and Write properties so I could edit the .plist file.

I got the info.plist file to open in Terminal and added the strings of code verbatim, just as these tutorials stated to do. However, I was then supposed to "Save" this. When I go to save this, Terminal tries to save it as a Terminal file. What (and where) do I save it as? Is there another program I can use to edit the text? Do I even need to use Terminal at all?

To sum it all up, I need a much easier way to go about getting this to work. A better explanation or a more concise set of instructions to follow. As it is at the moment, I have spent the better part of 3 days trying to configure something I spent good money on after reading that it would work on my Mac. I don't mean to sound hasty, as this is software not meant to be configured for a Linksys wireless card, but I am getting very aggravated by the lack of support or thorough set of steps in getting this to work.

HELP!!!!

I'm still trying to make sense out of the half-assed instructions.

It seems to me that I can modify the info.plist using a text program (which I have done) to insert the Linksys string. However, this is STILL not working for me. I've run out of ideas. I've tried so many times and tried different ways to go about making this work. Nothing.

Can anyone offer any kind of help? Surely, I can't be the only one having a problem with this.

Maybe recommend another PC USB Wireless Adapter that is more compatible or easier to configure that I can use on my eMac?

I am running OS X 10.4.11 by the way.

I'm still trying to make sense out of the half-assed instructions.

It seems to me that I can modify the info.plist using a text program (which I have done) to insert the Linksys string. However, this is STILL not working for me. I've run out of ideas. I've tried so many times and tried different ways to go about making this work. Nothing.

Can anyone offer any kind of help? Surely, I can't be the only one having a problem with this.

Maybe recommend another PC USB Wireless Adapter that is more compatible or easier to configure that I can use on my eMac?

I am running OS X 10.4.11 by the way.

Skylines, there really is no need to change the info.plist file. The download posted by Simania_NL in the first post has the modified kext (plist file inside kext) that is necessary for this to work. The next post by him is just explaining what the change is in his posted file. All you have to do is install the Ralink drivers, then COPY the kext you download from the first post to your Extensions folder, run the Terminal commands and restart.

are all the Ralink site links dead? I cant download it anywhere - even when I go in from the Ralink front page.

I posted further upthread attaching the driver file, but file seems to have been taken down.

Can someone email it to me? ellroy1976[AT]yahoo.com

Much appreciated!

are all the Ralink site links dead? I cant download it anywhere - even when I go in from the Ralink front page.

I posted further upthread attaching the driver file, but file seems to have been taken down.

Can someone email it to me? ellroy1976[AT]yahoo.com

Much appreciated!

blozegotes-

The problem might be your end; I'm having no trouble downloading the Ralink file. I'll email it to you when it's done :)

-Craig

CraigularB, I appreciate the help. However, those instructions aren't working for me, still. I am on 10.4.11. The OP was using 10.4.8, maybe there is something different that has to be done in order to get it to work.

I did exactly what is in the instructions. Copied the kext from the attachment over the old one, booted up Terminal, and entered those commands. Reboot. Open the Wireless Utility, and it says "No Device". So I go to Network under System Preferences and there are no new connections available. Nothing changed.

Do you have any other options for me? What did I do wrong?

Hi! I'm very new to this Mac thing and I have the 10.5.1 install.

I have the WUSB54GC adapter too and I've tried Craig's solution several times w/o results. When I plug the USB key I get a message saying that WUSB54GC wasn't installed properly.

Any suggestions?

To clarify my problem:

After following all the steps mentioned by Craig I reboot, plug in the USB key and get the following message:

System extension cannot be used

The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used.

Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

What can be wrong? I've tried this many many times now and always with the same result.

One more: at the beginning of this thread there's a line "rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extenions.kextcache", is it "Extenions.kextcache" or should it be "Extensions.kextcache". I've tried both, but I don't need password confirm to continue, like all other lines.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have an WUSB54GC dongle, 10.5.2 leo4allv3 based hackintosh, downloaded all option drivers (prasys files, ralink + modified kext) and:

- i can install all options w/o problem. It detected, new eth interface shown in netwpref, had configured manual IP, etc.

- wirelessUSButility shows correct TX packets but noone was received correct. 

I've tried to switch off WEP, WPA, reset my wireless router without success :D

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance

After following all the steps mentioned by Craig I reboot, plug in the USB key and get the following message:

System extension cannot be used

The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used.

Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

I also followed the instructions exactly and I was having the same problem as you on Kalyway 10.5.2, and solved it by using 'OSX86Tools' to install the kext (same as the first post) properly, then running all the maintenance script in that same program (repair permissions, etc). After a reboot, I plugged it in and it worked like a charm, streaming video right now...

Cheers,

s.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks stevenmansour!

My desktop is currently in a box since I'm moving out. I'll check it as soon as I'm back on line. Sounds like it'll work for me too!

...solved it by using 'OSX86Tools' to install the kext (same as the first post) properly, then running all the maintenance script in that same program (repair permissions, etc).

Could you be more specific as to which scripts I have to run from OSx86Tools?

I'll post my results when I get back.

Thanks again (I thought for a moment that the thread was dead...)

hey guys

this is my first post so i hope im doing this right...

the process worked for me, as in, it shows up under apples System Profiler under the usb tab, however, it wont show up under System Preferences/Network ;)

And when i try to find it under usb wireless utility, it doesnt show up there either.

I installed that airport menu thing that prasys made (v015) and it didnt help, and when i installed her drivers, it made it disappear from the system profiler (maybe i unplugged and then replugged it back in without thinking, and that was the problem, because it doesnt seem to want to show up unless its plugged in on startup, but prasys' fix should fix that) so i followed the instructions again and now it shows up under system profiler again however, it still wont show up under system preferences/network. Here are the specs on my wusb54gc usb wireless linksys adapter.

Version: 0.01

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: up to 480 mb/sec

Manufacturer: Cisco-Linksys

Product ID: 0x0020

Vendor ID: 0x13b1

Perhaps, if i was to change something under the IONETWORKINGFAMILY.KEXT as in, say, add the RT73USBWIRELESSDRIVER.KEXT to plugins, and then editing the INFO.PLIST file for the kext, by adding the PNP ID for the linksys device, it would work? any input would be great. thanks.

O ya, and im running on the Jas dvd 10.4.8 with the added applications (i upgraded) from the uphuck dvd (10.4.9).

Hello,

I am having severe problems trying to configure the WUSB54GC to work with OS X 10.4.11.

I have found 3 different sets of steps posted by different users that have all claimed to have gotten it to work. However, all 3 of these instruction sets are flawed in their explanations. For example, none of these mention that the info.plist file and corresponding Content folder are read-only, THIS IS A CRUCIAL STEP NOT MENTIONED! How do you forget to mention that? An average computer user is supposed to know how to change this? So, I made the Content folder and files inside it Read and Write properties so I could edit the .plist file.

I got the info.plist file to open in Terminal and added the strings of code verbatim, just as these tutorials stated to do. However, I was then supposed to "Save" this. When I go to save this, Terminal tries to save it as a Terminal file. What (and where) do I save it as? Is there another program I can use to edit the text? Do I even need to use Terminal at all?

To sum it all up, I need a much easier way to go about getting this to work. A better explanation or a more concise set of instructions to follow. As it is at the moment, I have spent the better part of 3 days trying to configure something I spent good money on after reading that it would work on my Mac. I don't mean to sound hasty, as this is software not meant to be configured for a Linksys wireless card, but I am getting very aggravated by the lack of support or thorough set of steps in getting this to work.

HELP!!!!

skylines, u can save the edited info.plist file by selecting "save text" instead of "save" (its right below the save as option i believe, on the file menu).

-Josh

After following the instructions exactly, I'm now posting this reply on my iBook G4 (12" 1.33ghz) using the Linksys WUSB54GC (the Cisco-Linksys version, 0.01).

I can't thank you enough! My iBook suffers from the Airport>Logic Board fiasco, so wireless for me was only a possibility if I kept pushing down on the area next to the trackpad; even then it would eventually hit a KP.

But now, those days are gone.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

ok .. this is wierd ..

I have Kaliway 10.5.2, downloaded the kext file .. but it doesn't load automaticly ... everytime I want to use the usb stich I need to load the kext with the kextload command ... anyone solved this?