Linksys WUSB54GC kext for 10.4.8

Simania_NL

58 posts in this topic

I bought my Linksys WUSB54GC for just 24 euro's and it's working like a charm with the attached kext.

First download the driver http://www.ralinktech.com/drivers/Mac/RTUS..._2006_11_10.dmg

Install it

Put the attached kext in your /System/Library/Extensions folder and authorize it to copy over the old kext when the window pops up.

type the following in a terminal window:

sudo -s (enter your password)

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext

cd /System/Library

rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extenions.kextcache

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

reboot

Now run the USB Wireless Utility from your application folder (If nothing is showed up, go to you System Preferences and then Network. It should say that a new network device (Ethernet Adapter) has been found. Save changes and try to run the USB Wirless Utility again.) and search for the wireless network.

Voila high speed wireless internet with the LinksysWUSB54GC and 10.4.8

I would like to thank SilverTab for the information.

RT73USBWirelessDriver.kext.zip

Install it

Put the attached kext in your /System/Library/Extensions folder and authorize it to copy over the old kext

Where is the kext ?. Just curious and could you state your changes , so I could include them in my new RT2500 drivers !

Where is the kext ?. Just curious and could you state your changes , so I could include them in my new RT2500 drivers !

Sorry it's in now, thanks for the information.

The change is an added key in the info.plist, with the information for the Linksys WUSB54GC

This is the key I added:

<key>Linksys</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.Ralink.driver.RT73</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>RT2573USBWirelessDriver</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOUSBDevice</string>

<key>bcdDevice</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>32</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>5041</integer>

</dict>

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry it's in now, thanks for the information.

The change is an added key in the info.plist, with the information for the Linksys WUSB54GC

This is the key I added:

<key>Linksys</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.Ralink.driver.RT73</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>RT2573USBWirelessDriver</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOUSBDevice</string>

<key>bcdDevice</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>32</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>5041</integer>

</dict>

Simania_NL!

Which mainboard has you?

• 4 weeks later...

This is going to sound absolutely foolish, but I'm out of ideas.....I have 10.4.8 and I'm trying to get this WUSB54GC working on my computer. I've been trying for hours to figure out how to get this .kext file loaded into a non-existent System/Library/Extensions folder. I have absolutely no experience with the Terminal prompt system and just can't get my head around the Mac commands - I'm a recent convert to Mac's, love'm....just can't figure this out! I'd appreciate if anyone can give me some really simple instructions on how to get this wireless working with 10.4.8 on my Powerbook G4.

humm nice. i was pointed to this topic showing what was done in getting a linksys wifi USB network adapter working in 10.4.8. which goes along with my problem. But with a different model of the wifi USB network adapter. i only hope the same can be done with my model of USB wifi adapter

i have a Linksys Wireless G USB Network Adapter with speedboost model number WUSB54GS.

The info for it shows up great in Apple system profiler in the USB tab but it will not work with the airport software for some odd reason. it does have the Broadcom chipset. it should work in tiger 10.4.8 but does not.

the forum i was at that pointed to this thread on these forums is here

Google Groups: G3-G5 list

and the thread from the forum linked above that was started about a wifi SB network adapter

eHome Products wireless G Adapters Question

and i posted that i had the same problem with my linksys Wirless-G USB network adapter with speedbooster model number WUSB54GS that has a broadcom chipset and i wondered why it didn't work in tiger cause i thought anything with a Broadcom chipset would work in tiger.

some one replied pointing to this thread saying it has something to do with the Vendor ID# (VID) and the product ID# (PID) in the info.plist file of some of the wireless Kexts or frameworks. I have read this topic but still would not know what to do to make this work if its even possible.

but anyway here is what the USB tab in ASP say's about my WIFI adapter

Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter with SpeedBooster:

Version: 0.06

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Cisco-Linksys

Product ID: 0x000e

Serial Number: 1111

Vendor ID: 0x13b1

and if needed here is the numbers on the chipset

Broadcom

BCM4712KPB

HA0439 PII

729422P

if that helps anything but im at a total loss on what to do to get this working. as the person that pointed me to here said on his replay that if i didnt know what to do he can help me to get it working.

Thanks for the help in advanced all. should i have started a new topic. i can move this to where ever it needs to go but i was hoping i would run into the person that replied to me that pointed me here from the Google Groups G3-G5 lists

i have the same problem as madmax_2069

I baught a Linksys WUSB54G but the probleme is that it is not a ver 4 it's a ver 2.1.

the good thing about it is that it goes up to 125 Mb/s

but like he just said before it is a Broadcom chipset

any one got an idea to make it work

cause i just throwed 50€ out the windows if i can't make it work

thanks to all

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for the info and files, Simania! I just got the 54GC and was hoping that it would work...I stumble across your thread and voila! Followed the directions exactly and it installed/is recognized no problem.

Haysead, if I had to guess I'd say that "S" denotes SpeedBooster, the tech Linksys uses to make G faster/farther-reaching. You could try this solution with it, but I'm not an authority to tell you it should or shouldn't work.

Thanks again!

-Craig

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello! I recently installed 10.5.1, so I was also wanting WiFi with this device (I used it in 10.4.8 also). I tried the old installer, but it did not work. So, following the thought of attempts, I downloaded the installer for 10.5 and used the same KEXT and install method, with some modifications at the end. Enjoy!

Download the KEXT attached at the first post, and also download the new Ralink installer from here: http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/drivers/..._2007_11_26.dmg.

(The actual page is viewable here: http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html. The 1st link is directly to the DMG.)

Follow the instructions in the first post (ie don't reboot after the utility install, follow the terminal commands, then reboot).

Now the different part: the utility will probably pop up and will probably see the adapter/any wireless networks (mine did). However, OSX did not. Here's what I did:

1) Open up System Preferences, click on Network.

2) On the side-pane listing your network connections, click the "+" (plus sign) at the bottom. This opens the create new connection dialogue.

3) Under the "interface" drop-down, there will be 1 or 2 "ethernets" depending on your system. I have 2 because of the forcedeth drivers. In my case, the first "Ethernet" was the correct connection. Give it any name you like. Click "Create".

3a) The new connection should come up in the side-pane; if it says "No IP address", proceed to step 4. If it says "Not connected", proceed to step 3b.

3b) This was probably not the correct "Ethernet" interface. No matter; Simply delete what you just created, make a new one, and select the "Ethernet" you did NOT select the first time. Give it any name you like. Click "Create".

4) It says "No IP address"? GOOD! On the right side, use the "Configure" drop-down menu. Select "Using DHCP with manual address".

5) Type in an IP address that your computer would normally have (example, on my network, my computer is assigned the IP 192.168.0.101, so that's what I used).

6) Click "Apply".

7) It should automatically fill in Subnet Mask, Router, DNS Server, and Search Domains. If it did, CONGRATULATIONS! You have successfully configured your WUSB54GC to work in 10.5.x!

I don't know if I'm qualified to help if you have any problems, but I can try; all I did was use the new installer, same kext, and created a new network connection....It is actually possible that creating the new network connection with the 10.4.8 method/installer would have worked, but it was nice to have something written for 10.5. Good luck to everyone!

-Craig

• 3 weeks later...
Can LINKSYS WUSB54GC work in WPA mode?

nik.

No - At least I was not able to get it working or WPA2, only WEP. WPA and WPA2 caused leopard/kalyway to crash.

I only a day my first mac, but if anyone can tell me why my USB wireless will only is recognized when I supply

"-f" as a boot parameter, I'd appreciate it. Also, where can I find a list of boot parameters?

Thanks

-Paul