New Ralink RT2500-USB Driver [a la Airport Driver] - V 1.5

Prasys

381 posts in this topic

How-To

1. Download the program from

http://rakis.net/~prasys/Ralink%20Wireless...Wizard.mpkg.zip

2. Install it. Once its done , repair its permissions using disk Utility . Once its fixed , you would need to build kext-cache back [To do this , press F8 before the Darwin X86 booting screen and type -f in the boot prompt]

3. Download the V 1.5 from http://www.rakis.net/~prasys/ralinkv015.zip

KUDOS

I would like to thank :-

nVidia_user - for testing it

toshi - for the new driver thingy

Simania_NL - for the Linksys WUSB54Gs support thingy !

I have a Linksys WUSB54GS wireless card and i'm trying t make it work on OSx86 i tried to follow the instructions above (in the quote) but it doesn't work.

There is something that is really not clear and that i don't understand it : the instruction number 2: it says "Once its done , repair its permissions using disk Utility . Once its fixed , you would need to build kext-cache back [To do this , press F8 before the Darwin X86 booting screen and type -f in the boot prompt]"

BUT HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO THIS? I open Disk Utility and all i see are my hard disks and how do we build that kext-cache and what we write in it????

And also, there is "Simania_NL - for the Linksys WUSB54Gs support thingy !" but I don't see any solution for the real WUSB54GS CARD, there is only a solution for the WUSB54GC !!! Is there no way to have a solution for the WUSB54GS card ??

I'm really desperate for this..

You need to erase the kext caches, the Extension.kextcache and Extensions.mkext files are inside the /System/Library folder, you can erase them from terminal or at prompt presing F8 and boot with -s (single user mode) then mount -uw / , erase them, the reboot. When booting again the caches will rebuild again.

But this is not going to work with your card because it has a different chipset than the WUSB54GC, WUSB54G, and WUSB54GP check this page http://ralink.rapla.net/

Your card is here: http://broadcom.rapla.net/ so search the forum a broadcom solution istead of Ralink Solution.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

I've got an old iMac 400MHz running OS X 10.4.9.

I tryed Ralink RT2500 original driver to use a D-Link G-122 vB1 USB adapter that succesfully runs. :)

Now I want to use a Linksys WUSB54G v4 but OS X does not reconize new adapter.

I tryed all Realink modified drivers suggested on this tread. :(

Can someone help me please?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks.. works fine for me but when i turn off my mini card wireless (ralink) and turn on my laptop the usbwireless ultilities show me no device. Is normal?, and when i turn on my mini card wireless sometimes not recognized in the first boot and after restart it works.

i've edited the info.plis (RT2500Replug) and change the vendor and hardware ids for the of my ralink card = Product ID: 0x6877 Vendor ID: 0x0db0

<key>Ralink</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>ch.walter.thomas.RT2500Replug</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>ch_walter_thomas_RT2500Replug</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOUSBDevice</string>

<key>bcdDevice</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>26743</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>3504</integer>

</dict>

Is correct? or i'm in a mistake?

• 1 month later...

I have a HP Slimline s3020.it with Ralink7 usb chipset by Gemtek integrated. After edited the R7 driver with my device id:

Vendor 0x1519 = 5545

Product id 0x0004 = 4

the drivers works great (no replug problems). Thanks.

Hi guys, this is a very good job ;)

As you know, any chance to have a RT2400 chipset working with RT2500 drivers?

I have a damn ASUS Wifi@Home 11Mbps... on asus dedicated wifi slot.

Thanks in advance

Nico

P.S.: I also have an USR5416 PCI Card, no support for this card too ;)

i have a newbie question here.

is this driver any different than the driver available from the official ralink website?

i currently have the official drivers installed and working. how do i install these drivers? just follow the instructions, or any steps requirred to remove the original drivers first?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Prasys!

Are you still working on this? I've got a problem with my Sweex LC100060 (Ralink 2570 chipset) that makes the connection kind of...stall every now and then. It doesn't disconnect, but no data is passed either back or forth trough the connection to my router. I'm connected to a WPA2 network using TKIP (and AES). I've tried different versions of the driver, as well as made changes to my router config, but nothing helps.

Got any clue what this might be?

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

whats the big problem with the RT61 chipset on the PCI cards... Ralink have the RT61 driver but it doesn't work for me on Hackintosh.

It must be really hard to make it universal?

hey great work, love the airport menu thing, i wish it would do more then say "waiting for menu" though

i also noticed that it always shows black as if the USB is active even though its not even plugged in.

This is pretty pointless but for ppl who want it to look a bit more realistic, here is an airport menu thing

that is white instead of the active black. its pretty pointless

just place airport2.menu in

/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras

and double clik on it

so like i said pretty pointless but ye just in case u dont like the black

Airport2.menu.zip

Thanks, very nice work!

I actually have a PCI card for my desktop. The product id is 0x18140301. I don't know if it is possible to make it work. I downloaded the driver from Ralink website and add the product id. But it didn't work. I think the driver is for Carbus (mini) PCI card for laptop.

It'll be great if the card for desktops works.

Thanks, very nice work!

I actually have a PCI card for my desktop. The product id is 0x18140301. I don't know if it is possible to make it work. I downloaded the driver from Ralink website and add the product id. But it didn't work. I think the driver is for Carbus (mini) PCI card for laptop.

It'll be great if the card for desktops works.

thats the same version as my linksys its based on the Ralink RT61 chipset those drivers on their site are not universal yet.

It work for me but after I restart OSX, it shows "NO DEVICE!!!"

I have to install it again, and restart again to get it work

but restart once more, the problem come again...

what's going on?

could anybody know how to solve it?

Thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Gemtek USB wireless. Ralink chipset. RT2571WF. Id hex code I got from a linux LiveCD. Tried it with both Damn Small linux and Knoppix 5.1.1. Command lsusb -v. lspci -vv oviously did not work because its a USB device.

Product and device ID is :

15a9:0004

I installed all of Prasys's files and I still cannot get it to work.

I modified the file Info.plist found in /System/Library/Extensions/RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents, and the section of the script for Gemtek has a different Product ID and device ID so I changed them to the one that matches my RT2571WF.

That did not seem do do the trick. Should I have changed them?

<key>GEMTEK</key>

<dict>

<string>com.Ralink.driver.RT2500</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>RT2500USBWirelessDriver</string>

<key>bcdDevice</key>

<integer>4</integer>

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>17</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>5041</integer>

changed to:

<key>GEMTEK</key>

<dict>

<string>com.Ralink.driver.RT2500</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>RT2500USBWirelessDriver</string>

<key>bcdDevice</key>

<integer>4</integer>

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>4</integer> <<<< I changed this from 17 to 4. Tried 0004 to and did not work

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>15a9</integer> <<<< I changed this from 5041 to 15a9

If someone could help me out with this PLEASE?

EDITED 10/12/07 5PM:

Should I be editing a different kext maybe the RT73 kext instead?

This Wireless USB card is in an HP m9040n. Quad core 2.4GHZ 3 gigs ram 667MHZ. Uphuck's 10.4.9 v1.3, Best one so far in my opinion since you get all kinds of nice appilcations. My Netgear PCI wireless worked instantly with Uphuck. Sound got working with the Azalia Audio package.

• 4 weeks later...