Dial-up modems

elviejo

37 posts in this topic

Ok, after some research, apparently none of the pc modem works, they are winmodems and rely in the software from the OS to fill part of their functions, on the other side the external modems ( serial ) must work because OS X support serial modems, what I want to know is the mod needed ( drivers?) so OS X recognise them. If someone can help on this?. :happymac:

well, if thats the case then i think someone should help in coding the missing portions that are missing in the functions... i can be a beta tester if required!!!

would really love to get my modem working on my MacIBM... as the wireless signal at my house area is pathetic...

• 2 weeks later...

Mac uses RS422 not RS232. This is the problem with external serial modems connected to hackintosh machines. What pc rs232 does with DTR, DSR, RTS, CTS, and DCD mac does with HSKo, HSKi, and GPi. PC uses 5 pins, mac uses 3 pins. So, osx on pc gets confused, which ends up in kernel panic. Thats it.

Don't mislead people, Mac can use RS422 but also can use RS232. :thumbsdown_anim:

In the list of available modems there are a lot of RS232 Serial modems, also USB modems can work.

I have a USR Robotics that I do not use much because I have ADSL connection but here is a picture of a connection I made just a minute ago:

Picture_2.jpgPicture_3.jpgPicture_4.jpg

As I say before, serial modems works in Mac, the catch is not to have one who already is supported by Mac, but to mode the drivers of the ones we already have and make it work with Mac as we already did with nic cards, in my case, for example, I have an Actiontec serial modem with fax capabilities, which of the already supported modem is more close to this one and what modifications need to be done in order to be recognized by Mac?. Thats the question. :thumbsdown_anim:

Hello people outthere :)

I have a USR Robotics ...

@macgirl

did your dialup connection was working out of the box?

I have a usr sportster flash and always get a kernel panic if i am already connected (works) and open a browser (doesnt work)(firefox,safari). Is there anything about the age or year of factoring that they are working so differently?

Thank your for your comment :)

Well it worked with 10.4.1 and .3, now with .8, maybe in other versions did not, but since I do not use it much I did not checked every update.

Maybe it is working because new kernel does not behave like older kernels (patched).

What are your specs?

:D

my specs are:

Dell Dimension 4600 (3 Ghz 478 socket cpu, 1GB Ram, Sata 120 Gb, GF5200)

plus the JaS 10.4.8 with semthex kernel (i am not at home, cant remember the version) plus

Natit graphics driver

everything works pretty stable except the thing with the dialup...

my current serial modem: usr sportster flash (i even got a new driver from usr (more a script) for osx without a change...

the thing is that i cant find any log thats telling me even a gram of a reason...

works well on linux

maybe i should test another kernel...just have to read how to switch the littles ...

How possible is it that this occurs by a network driver, faulty ppp...

I dont wanna buy a usb modem, as long as i dont know what it is and where i am gonna move to in the closer future, maybe i can order dsl then, this would solve this problem to 100% i guess :P

:)

Thanks for reading bye :tomato:

I have dial up working with my USR Sportster 56k

Hi there

@ mathdude1284: can you tell your osx specs and what you did to dial up your modem?

would be really kind

i am posting this via usb-serial adapter on my usr sportster flash in linux, doesnt even reach 2KB/s ,

whats the trick to get it working?

:D

Macgirl, I use 10.4.8 (8L2127) with 8.8.1 from mifki, I also tried kernel from semthex. Never have had success with above mentioned modem. I have even tried to make custom modem cable, according to diagrams which I found on web, with slight modifications of course (i had to imitate mini din8 with db9). Some of them worked, but even then kernel panic. By the way I can send you diagrams if you wish. Maybe you can come to some conclusion.

Thanx for your effort to solving this problem.

Macgirl, I use 10.4.8 (8L2127) with 8.8.1 from mifki, I also tried kernel from semthex. Never have had success with above mentioned modem. I have even tried to make custom modem cable, according to diagrams which I found on web, with slight modifications of course (i had to imitate mini din8 with db9). Some of them worked, but even then kernel panic. By the way I can send you diagrams if you wish. Maybe you can come to some conclusion.

Thanx for your effort to solving this problem.

Sure, BTW I use db9 to db25 standard serial cable with my USR Robotics Modem.

• 2 months later...

Same Question,but more specific

I ve an Devolo Microlink 56k Fun USB (should be the same linke Elsa Microlink USB)

In the Systeminformation i see that the Chipset is an Smartlink ST 7554

Is anyone here who uses an Modem with the same Chipset,which Driver i have to use?

Thanks a lot

svens

• 1 month later...

To send and to receive fax in mac you x86

Hello to all:

It is certain that the modem analogical pci or serial and those of low cost does not recognize mac you x86 (winmodem, etc.), if you go to preferences of the system, printer fax fax, shipment, to form modem fax, your old serial modem, you will verify that mac does not recognize you and therefore you cannot use to receive or to send fax.

Nevertheless software to faxcenter, http:// unloading www.macadvocacy.com/faxcenter.htm, recognizes to you they moden analogical serial, I have proven it with zoltrix fm- vsp56e and conceptronic c56ew and works the thousands wonders

a greeting

• 1 month later...