Leopard hacked!

rescuedog

148 posts in this topic

It is a great thing! But the hard thing is to get everything working... cause "we" can make the kernel work, the gui... but how well does it works? We must have quality code, not just on kernel, but on the drivers too, apple dosen't support the "cheap" hardware... the best thing is not getting things out, but putting things in... because with an update the system gets screwed... so there we go again... gonna have to break everything up again... the best thing is to have one working system almost equal to the apple system... and support it... I don't se adding support to SSE2, it is old, and the new applications might need the SSE3... and maybe they won't work with the system... maybe they will by one emulation layer... but it will be slow... and every time "we" will have to add support to one thing that ins't produced anymore...

I would say that we could support the following systems:

The Hack Kid (One AMD, one Intel, it must be really cheap)

The Hack War (One AMD, one Intel, it must at a "normal" price)

The Hack BigBrother (One AMD, one Intel, it must be expensive ;) )

So it would be, The Hack Kid AMD version, The Hack Kid Intel version.... and so on...

I think it would be better than trying to support unkown systems...

And it would be cheaper than buying a apple computer.... way more cheaper... and the BigBrother can be bigger than the macpro thing....

In the Final version, if we buy the DVD, and modify to make it work on non Apple Hardware.

It will be Legal or not?

No. What you are buying from Apple (or Microsoft) is a license to use their software. You are not buying the software. Apple (or Microsoft) owns the software. When you buy the license, it stipulates that you use the software as is and don't reverse engineer it.

So, if you buy the DVD and install it on your machine as is, you are legal. If you hack the software in any way in order to install and use it, you are violating the license that you bought.

Think of it this way. You are paying for permission to use software created by a big company and they own it. They are giving you the software for free, it is the permission (the license) that costs money. You are sold that permission as long as you use the software in a way they specify. If you violate that, then you forfeit the license and are then using the software illegally.

:censored2: lawyers...I hope music CD's don't work this way. Sorry off topic.

No. What you are buying from Apple (or Microsoft) is a license to use their software. You are not buying the software. Apple (or Microsoft) owns the software. When you buy the license, it stipulates that you use the software as is and don't reverse engineer it.

So, if you buy the DVD and install it on your machine as is, you are legal. If you hack the software in any way in order to install and use it, you are violating the license that you bought.

Think of it this way. You are paying for permission to use software created by a big company and they own it. They are giving you the software for free, it is the permission (the license) that costs money. You are sold that permission as long as you use the software in a way they specify. If you violate that, then you forfeit the license and are then using the software illegally.

I'm assuming we won't see any install DVDs until the final version of Leopard, as it would be a waste of time to crack a beta.

The courts haven't figured this out yet. This Wikipedia article has a brief summary of issues involved.

The point is that I'm not just buying a licence. I'm buying a physical DVD with a copy of the software on it. I don't own copyright to the software, but I damn well own that particular copy and I should be able to do anything at all with it except break laws - such as murdering someone with it, or breaking copyright law by distributing copies of it. I can spin it on my finger, or reverse all bytes on it, etc... even install it on a Commodore 64. Would it make any sense if you puchased a book, and it came with a licence agreement that stipulated you must not read it upside down or on a cloudy day? After all, you didn't buy the novel itself, publisher owns the copyright. You just got one copy and a licence to read it.

On top of this, software comes with a licence agreement that you are almost certainly not aware of details at time of purchase, nor are even told the licence exists at the time of purchase, and it would be necessary for you to hire a lawyer and spend a disproportionately large sum of money to get a proper interpretation of a few pages of dense lawyereese these things are written in. And if you didn't like it, you would have to invest a lot of time to try to get a refund. Many companies will not even accept return of open software, yet you can't even see the licence until you open and install it. I think it is extremely unlikely that courts would forbid you from hacking your own, legaly purchased, copy of Leopard. Hacking it and distributing copies is another matter. Not because of hacking, but because of distribution. Laws already define what you can and cannot do with copyrighted material. Licences try to force you to abandon some of your rights by restricting what you may do with the item you purchased.

The fact that a software company attaches a long legal document and forces you to click it, in no way means that you've entered into a legal agreement with them. Also see this article.

Even DMCA does not prevent you from hacking the software (specifically breaking the encryption) to get it to work on your Commodore 64 or your PC. DMCA specifically allows reverse engineering for purposes of interoperability. See this article.

Exactly what they would like you to think, but it just ain't so.

I am not a lawyer and this is only my opinion.

goodtime there is no sources, only binary patched kernel.

It's time that we all speak English.
Nah. This is not interesting, we can communicate on English, and no one don't want to use online translator?

I don't see any reason to use Leopard now, it's beta and maybe unstable.

I strongly suggest you hackers keep this version amongst yourselves until Apple releases the final version. Why? So they cannot see how you circumnavigated their protection mechanism. We should rather be patient now, I think that pays off in the end.

I'm not sure this would change anything BugsBunny since 10.5 protection mechanism might be exactly the same as 10.4.8, and thus that's why you saw a hacked 10.5 release that fast.

My guess is it is indirectly based on 10.4.8 sources codes. It is no coincidence that some time after 10.4.8 has been hacked, 10.5 is too.

Apple knows 10.4.8 is hacked and 10.5 is as well, so they will protect it better if they WANT to. I don't think they really need to see for themselves a hacked binary of it to see what have been bypassed.

Now I may be wrong, you never know, just my guess.

I wonder: GOOD NEWS or BAD NEWS? :angel:

I think it´s too early and now Apple can still make a move to improve it´s security.

Too bad for us, hackintosh users.