How do I boot my native OS x86 10.4.8 install with VMWare

BuXb

32 posts in this topic

I use the "-vmware" bootflag to force autodetect to VMWare support as requested by Semthex.

Booting 10.4.8 with 10.4.4 kernel was working. I booted the entire HD, Windows XP NTLDR comes up as when I switch on my Computer, I chose "Mac OS x86" [via chain0 method that is], OS x86 starts to boot. Before it would boot through all the way, now with the 10.4.8 kernel (latest VMWare capable Nebukadnezar from Semthex via Update-Script) booting gets stuck in VMWare at "ACPI: button driver prevents system sleep". Natively booting goes through all the way up to GUI.

Does anybody successfully boot the native 10.4.8 install (installed onto a separate HFS partition) via VMWare?

I have heeded all the known stuff (Harddrive independent persistent) and also tried different machine settings, like other/ other and also Windows/ Windows NT, which worked so far with the 10.4.4 kernel. Do I need specific kexts, like the one before from Maxxuss?

Thanks for your hints :(

Cheers,

Bugs.

I used to boot my dev install from disk via vmware and it works just fine. This issue may be caused by some problems with BIOS settings (in vmware?). Which version of VMWare are you using?

You mentioned special kext, since I run a updated system, they migth be present (becasue never replaced). Would be kind if you can check it and report back for other users to know.

Kernel side, VMWare is 100% supported.

Replacing mach_kernel in my .iso with the latest semthex one fixes that crash, but now I have the same problem here. Booting with -v shows it hanging at "ACPI: button driver prevents system sleep." This is using VMWare Server 1.01.

Hi Semthex.

I am using the latest VMWare Workstation 5.5.2.29772.

The only kext from Maxxuss in my old install's XT folder is MaxxussAMDPCNET.kext - does not look like anything necessarry for my Intel Laptop.

Cheers,

Bugs

I've got the same problem using VMWare. Boots fine native.

AMD X2 3800+

nforce4 chipset

Using ata hd

I'm using VMWare server version 1.0.1 build 29996 and the MacOSX_10.4.8DVD_AMD_SSE3_TEST_1 image.

Sometimes I don't even get to the ACPI message and it stops loading at the line before:

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>......

I've tried booting with and without -vmware.

On a side note, great work semthex! :)

Sometimes I don't even get to the ACPI message and it stops loading at the line before:

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>......

I've tried booting with and without -vmware.

exactly the same thing here .. :)

Until today I could not boot to vmware with 10.4.8 before these modifications:

Install latest beta kernel build k19.

Install Paulicat modified AppleSMBIOS.kext and IOATAFamily.kext.

I use my native install and boot thru vmware in xp.

To get network I had to install maxxuss AMDPCNet kext.

Quite nice, I can also boot to safe mode gui (F8 -x)

So now I can access boot to the same OSX native (and from xp with vmware)...

I dont know if this can work for everybody, some find smbios changes dont go very well with their system...

Try it u never know.

Good luck.

Got it working...

All I had to do was enable both processors in vmware and boto with the -vmware option. It may still lock up on some boots, but after a reset it usually works.

On a side note, I'm using 10.4.8 installed on a physical drive so I can also boot it natively. Vmware is set to Other -> FreeBSD. I've also updated to semthex's latest kernel.

myzar helped some other users with vmware.

He did a debugging session, and found out that for some dudes, disabling scsi in the .vmx config files removed hanging issues at boot up, especially from a dvd...

You need to remove two lines in the vmx file that refer to scsi, even if you are not using scsi...

Applied all of the above, no chance .. :)

Would you guys where booting your native install works with VMWare please be so kind and attach your vmx config file to a posting here?

Thanks a lot,

Bugs.

I have installed the jas-10.4.8-intel-only iso (reseed - md5 checked) on an Intel Pent. 4 (Prescot - sse3 & htt) system which also has WinXP installed. I can dual boot either system without problem.

The system is using the semthex beta-5 kernel.

When I use latest vmware server to boot OSX from the physical hdd I get the no smoking sigh over the gray apple.

I tried using -vmware flag - same results. With -v -vmware flags I get the following screen

post-51049-1163985720_thumb.jpg

Hey - Buggs,

As a follow up, I also edited the vmware system definition. I read in one of the threads that removing references to SCSI in the system definition would correct the problem - no so for me. I changed the setting to false and when that failed I removed the line completely. Still would not boot.

I also tried the boot flags in different order just in case - no change.

I know the vmware server is working because I had previously installed the system with the jas-10.4.7 install DVD and it would boot both native and under vmware. I also have a 10.4.7 system installed on a virtual disk that runs just fine. I tried to get a 10.4.8 installed to a virtual disk but it didn't work.

Oh well, at least now I have a configuration I can use to test new kernels with - that is if I can get them to boot :)

I'm using vmware 5.5.1 b19175; semthex kernel k18.

I created my vm by choosing the osx physical partition itself rather than all the drive.

With -vmware, booted normally (albeit slowly).

OSX installed with tubgyrl'z 10.4.8 AMD from TPB.

(only quirk is a vmware message about CD drive and DMA message by host, but that didn't prevent the booting itself).

I must say this isn't a vm->native installation; I installed natively. Only build that small vm to access that osx. I don't think I did anything unusual that made it work. I had no scsi lines to edit out in my vmx file.

all people? Then I must be blind. Maybe these people attach their vmx config file to a posting here .. :) ?

Also for me as a Intel user that AMD image would not be of any use I would say.

Thank you cbmkgd. I am just reverting back to a 10.4.8 sys with 10.4.4 kernel on my main partition because I can neither get my TI xx12 PCMCIA to work with the new kernels, but will keep the 10.4.8 kernel sys on my fast USB drive. Hopefully I will be able to boot from USB correctly with VMWare, but we will see .. :)

Oh and I just see that you have a AMD sys.

Some clarifications:

My CPU is Intel HT/SSE3

Kernel Beta-5 in vmware crashes for me.

Kernel Beta-3 works and for CPUS=2, I put SCSI false.

Kernel k19 works only for 1 cpu, have not tried 2 (that was the first time vmware worked for 10.4.8 for me)

Using 2 cpu's is not worth it (too slow).

Leaving SCSI usually does not create problems for me if i use 1 cpu, but it creates problems for some.

This is an instalation I made from a virtual disk 10.4.6 to a physical hard disk using osinstall.pkg, then used as native.

vmx file:

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "4"

scsi0.present = "FALSE"

memsize = "704"

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"

ide0:0.fileName = "test.vmdk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.fileName = "J:"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"

floppy0.fileName = "A:"

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.virtualDev = "es1371"

displayName = "Tiger"

nvram = "other.nvram"

ide0:0.redo = ""

uuid.location = "56 4d e8 97 f3 fc 0b e9-48 e8 bd a8 4d c8 db 50"

uuid.bios = "56 4d e8 97 f3 fc 0b e9-48 e8 bd a8 4d c8 db 50"

tools.remindInstall = "TRUE"

processor0.use = "TRUE"

processor1.use = "TRUE"

host.TSC.noForceSync = "TRUE"

guestOS = "solaris10"

pciSound.DAC2InterruptsPerSec=16

monitor_control.disable_checkcodeexpire=true

monitor_control.disable_checkcode=true

ide0:1.present = "FALSE"

ide0:1.fileName = ""

ide0:1.redo = ""

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:c8:db:50"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

checkpoint.vmState.readOnly = "FALSE"

checkpoint.vmState = ""

paevm="TRUE"

sound.fileName = "SoundMAX Digital Audio"

ide1:1.present = "FALSE"

ide1:1.fileName = ""

ide1:1.redo = ""

ide1:1.deviceType = "rawDisk"

ide1:0.redo = ""

fileSearchPath = "E:\VM\;."

numvcpus = "1"

ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"

ide0:0.mode = "independent-persistent"

floppy0.startConnected = "TRUE"

floppy0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.autodetect = "FALSE"

ide0:1.mode = "independent-persistent"

ide1:1.mode = "independent-persistent"

ide0:0.deviceType = "rawDisk"

ide0:1.deviceType = "rawDisk"

workingDir = "."

floppy0.fileType = "device"

The previous vmx config used Solaris10 as OS.

I just found out that by using FreeBSD instead, Kernel Beta-5 works to boot a native 10.4.8 install into vmware, even with SCSI enabled: here is the config FreeBSD.vmx file (nice and freshly baked):

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "4"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

memsize = "700"

MemAllowAutoScaleDown = "FALSE"

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"

ide0:0.fileName = "FreeBSD.vmdk"

ide0:0.deviceType = "rawDisk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.fileName = "J:"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"

floppy0.fileName = "A:"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"

usb.present = "TRUE"

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.virtualDev = "es1371"

sound.fileName = "SoundMAX Digital Audio"

sound.autodetect = "FALSE"

displayName = "FreeBSD"

guestOS = "freebsd"

nvram = "FreeBSD.nvram"

ide0:0.mode = "independent-persistent"

ide1:0.autodetect = "FALSE"

ide0:0.redo = ""

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

uuid.location = "56 4d 7a 93 7b 3d ab 3c-14 a7 bf db 1a 88 be 86"

uuid.bios = "56 4d 7a 93 7b 3d ab 3c-14 a7 bf db 1a 88 be 86"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:88:be:86"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

Great, thanks. Billy, i do not have Senthex kernel Beta 5 anymore - could you maybe zip & send it to me? hackint0sh@gmx.net, that would be really great :P.

Anyway, I just finished swapping my installs (.4 kernel sys now again on my main drive, .8 kernel sys on USB), VMWare boots the native install fine again, so it is not my VMWare install or config and neither the BIOS update from two weeks ago.

So now I need to get my USB Mac OS x86 partition to boot via VMWare. It loads up to a certain point the same way I boot my USB natively (via NTLDR --> Grub4DOS --> chain0 --> rd=disk1s2 in com.apple.boot.plist ..)