Mac G4... I'm Buying a used one...

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I found someone on craigslist that is selling an old PowerMac G4 400 Mhz for $100, so I am buying it from him tomorrow for sure.

So, I was just wondering what you guys would recommend I do it to upgrade it.

I'm a college student on a somewhat tight budget, but I would like to do as much to it as I can.

All I know of it so far is this:

It works (lol)

400 Mhz

128 MB PC100 RAM

10 GB HD

Zip Drive

CD-ROM

Here is what I plan to do with it as of now:

Upgrade RAM to at least 512

Add at least an 80 GB HD

Put in a CD-Burner (or DVD-Burner... whatever I end up finding)

I might look on ebay for a dual 450 processor or something if the motherboard can support it.

I was just wondering what else I should add... Judging by the specs it's probably the AGP Graphics model, or PCI graphics... nothing fancy like Gig ethernet, or Digital Audio.

I won't know much more about it till tomorrow when I buy it, but still...

Anyone know of any cheap places to buy ram for it?

I think I'll buy the burner and HD off newegg, or if someone recommends a cheaper site, then I will get it there.

I also want to get a decent PCI Audio Card. Or a USB one. Any recommendations on that?

Thanks in advance,

Pat

dvd burner -> pioneer dvr-111d (Apple Shipped &supported) 35 bucks new @ newegg

graphics -> nvidia fx5200 (can be flashed for mac - User2 knows how) they're getting cheaper

Audio -> soundblaster or turtlebeach (your choice theres many that work for mac just cruise the wiki)

Ram -> pc100 ram is getting hard to find on the cheap just look for ram on craigslist.

macsales.com Go there and love it.

Because you only mentioned the processor specs, it could be one of the following models:

G4 Yikes

G4 Sawtooth

G4 Gigabit Ethernet

The major issue will be with a Yikes, which can only take 4 256 MB PC 100/133 Ram modules. The other two can handle 4 512 MB PC 133 modules.

Yeah, I knew about the processor thing (I looked up the possibilities on apple-history.com) and I'm really hoping that it's at least a sawtooth. If it is, would I have any problem switching out the single 400 for something like a dual 450 or 500? I have heard it can be done, but I just want to check.

My boss just told me about a site calle memorytime.com which is a local company for me. Looks like I can get some ram for decent prices on there.

And you can flash a 5200 for a mac?! I honestly think I have one of those in my closet lol. I'll have to find this 'user2'...

Thanks guys...

I am always open to more suggestions...

Arggghhh.. don't flash a 5200, their shader support is atrocious & DVI only works at lower res. In fact the shader performance is so craptacular that it increases CPU load when doing core image stuff. Flash a cheap 97/800 there's a reduced bios for 9800 and 9700s come with full size rom chips so both are just a 5 minute flash. Plus, (unlike the 5200) you will get a fully working DVI port, fully working VGA port AND a fully working S-Video & ATI control panel. The difference in performance is HUGE while the price for second hand 9800s is cheap as. strangedogs.com has full flashing instructions and tools for most cards.

Ok wow... I never would have figured that out on my own lol, so thanks tons for the advice... perhaps I will have to get my hands on a 9800... does it matter if its a 9800 pro or anything?

Ok wow... I never would have figured that out on my own lol, so thanks tons for the advice... perhaps I will have to get my hands on a 9800... does it matter if its a 9800 pro or anything?

http://strangedogs.sytes.net/ has a buyer's guide, you might need to register on that forum to get to it if this link doesn't work. (www.strangedogs.com -> go to the forum, there are tutorials there anyway)

But basically the easiest is a 9700pro or a 9800pro 128MB with BGA(square) RAM in an "L" shape pattern around the CPU. If you can get a 9700pro for quite a bit cheaper I'd go for that, the performance difference with your CPU will be insignifiacant. And it's 95% identical anyhow.

Ok, so he hasn't emailed me back, but I'm not to worried about it cause I'm still going to buy it.

Now, I am still going to assume it's an agp sawtooth based computer...

So, in making that assumtion, I have a couple questions:

1. Will a 1Ghz Proc, or Dual 1 Ghz Proc from a Mirrored Drive Door Edition G4 work? I have find quite a few on ebay for under $200, so I'm just curious if I were to buy one, would it work in my mac?

2. Most the cards I have found say AGP 4x/8x, but I know the AGP slot in the sawtooth is a 2x. If I buy a 9800 4x/8x card, will it work in the 2x slot?

These may seem like stupid questions, but I am kinda new to the whole, actually owning a mac thing... lol...

This is my first mac since I had an LCII back in the day.... Scrabble... boy was that fun... it's about the only thing that would run lol...

2. Most the cards I have found say AGP 4x/8x, but I know the AGP slot in the sawtooth is a 2x. If I buy a 9800 4x/8x card, will it work in the 2x slot?

look at the keying of the card, i.e the notches in the AGP key, most 9800pros are keyed for universal i.e. have 2 slots. Some newer ones will have 1 slot and won't work with the X2 bus.

The 9800 is probably the best choice as it can be flashed for either 2x or 4x.

Here is the link to the strangedogs downloads page.

http://strangedogs.sytes.net/

This card is a good one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...=OTC-pr1c3watch

Be aware that the 9800 can tax a Sawtooth's PSU so you can either mod a ATX Power supply or keep the expansion cards and drives to a minimum.

Have fun