Got OSX working, but i like Xp better.

wow

42 posts in this topic

Sorry if i offend some mac users. I didnt know there was a mac way for doing things. i only know of the pc way to things.

ps i noticed one strange behouviour. When i start in mac mode, the first thing i do start itune and play some mp3 as background. When i start my pc i dont, to be true i never feel like the last 5 years in windows mode. I cant explain it but its true, a mac changes your behaviour.

Ok one thing i wil refuse to use is one button of my mouse, two buttons are better, i belive veen mac users find that true :sorcerer:

Oh boy i wish i had a sse3 cpu than i also would have hardware support for my vidcard and OSX would look better.

Tried that one already but it doenst fill the whole screen. There is 6cm row right that it doesnt cover also that part were the docking bar is doesnt get overuled.
Watch your controlls on the screen? ;/
I hope the audio works for you here it works but i had to use the onbard sound, the soudncard isnt reconized.
On a real mac it would work of course.
about the workflow thing, i heard about it once. i think i could be very usefull. But when surfing there isnt any use for me to workflow i just want to surf and want my broser to overrule everything.

Workflow is more for people who want to work :P

He mean that you should use it as a mac, not as a windows machine.

Vista

Virus spyware trojan adware

I would expect vista to be more secure than os x atm.

Yesterday i went into a apple store. Man are those iMacs beautiful, i was stunned. You can change that ugly pc in a pc running osx but you dont get the same feeling as a 20inch iMac. I now understand why people want to buy a real Mac.

btw i begin to like osx more and more especially dockbar an expose are great. Dont know or vista gets them

most geeks around here just like having something new to play with. i'm in a similar boat, but i actually like some features of vista on how it integrates its searches on the start menu with ms office..... yes, i know osx does it too, but at least with vista i'm able to use all of my familiar windows programs with ease. i just use osx just to tinker around with things and kill time.

Am I reading your original post correctly?

You're running a bootleg OS, with a CPU that doesn't support SSE3, on a intel 865 chipset motherboard, and complain that it isn't as 'snappy' as an OS designed to run natively on that hardware?

10.4.7 on a P4 3.0GHz w/ HT & SSE3 parked on a D915GUX mobo and 1 GB of RAM absolutely runs circles around XP Pro SP2 on the same hardware.. and with the GMA900 video, CI and QE are fully supported.

Microsoft writes their OS to run on a very wide range of hardware, but Apple writes their OS to run on a very narrow selection of hardware.

The key to getting the truest level of performance out of OSX is to use hardware as close to what you find in either the Apple Developer Kit, or in current production MacTel hardware.

Otherwise, you're just pissing in the wind. Kind of like being surprised that your car doesn't run as well with diesel fuel in the tank as it does with regular gas.

But like people have said before in this thread, MacOS isn't for everybody.. and as you yourself have pointed out, there is a whole lot more software available for the Windows platform than there is OSX.. especially in the games department.

I prefer OSX for a number of reasons.. I like the way it looks, I like that it boots from power on to desktop in 10 seconds. I like that I don't have to hog up a bunch of memory with virus protection software. I like that it's rock solid stable, and I can leave it running for months at a time without having to restart. I like the fact that there isn't any spyware/malware out there to worry about, and that 99.9% of the software I used on PC is also available for OSX. (the other ,1% has a MacOS equivalent that's as good or better than what I was using before on a PC)

To each their own. As for me and my Hackintosh, we shall run OSX. :happymac:

He is right and NOT a loser. So lay off. Vista is nowhere are secure as OSX, period.

He said ATM (at the moment). He is right because the OS is not sold yet for personal use. That will be a false statement in a few month when hackers will find the way to hack the system.

Anyway, XP issecure if you fracking know how to use it. Get the updates, don't download p0rn and don't download everything and you're basically okay.

However, OSX is far better than XP anyway.

btw most virusses are being installed with illigal downloaded warez on windows pcs. And this is a real question, how does that work on a mac? I see some mac warez too, if i made a new dmg (old program and add a selfmade trjan) and someone dloads and installs it then the mac is infected too? Or is it still protected becuase of the better os?

Are you asking if a windows exe will run on mac? Or do you mean a custom made osx 'virus'? Anything that tries to do something administrative in OSX will bring up a password prompt telling you that some program or command is trying to execute, and needs your authorization to continue. So assuming this protection can't be bypassed easily, your trojan wouldn't work afaik. Anyone with more knowledge in this area please feel free to correct me.

Are you asking if a windows exe will run on mac? Or do you mean a custom made osx 'virus'? Anything that tries to do something administrative in OSX will bring up a password prompt telling you that some program or command is trying to execute, and needs your authorization to continue. So assuming this protection can't be bypassed easily, your trojan wouldn't work afaik. Anyone with more knowledge in this area please feel free to correct me.

Almost i ment a custom made osx program, for example i take adobe cs2 from the newsgroup, add a little extra :blink: a selfmade exe that gets also installed. A lot of people downloads it, installs it, the password prompt appears. They say yes or type the password. That way i could easily bring a virus on someones computer.

So a mac is indeed safer when itcomes to exploits and addware from websites. But it looks to me that osx can be easily comprimized on my way. Or did i miss a point?

• 4 weeks later...

There's tons and tons of software choices for OS X and many are comparable to their Windows counterparts. Also, many pieces of software (including Office, GIMP, OpenOffice and Adobe {censored}) have their own Mac versions.

And the Mac version of Office rules for the simple fact of the formatting palette. I've saved so much time not having to go through menus because of this.