Got OSX working, but i like Xp better.

wow

42 posts in this topic

Installed osx10.4.7 with macvidia drivers almost everything works. But it isnt as good as i espected. Glad that i nver bought a real mac.

Osx is nice to look at, but i doenst feel as fast as Xp, not as snappy. Osx keeps keeping al the windows to small. if want to surf the internet. Then i have to maximaze firefox/safair but osx doesnt let me. It keeps to much space unused.

I think osx is nice when you do something with picture/video editting or music. But for my normal use surfing, i think osx is only a waste of resources. There are also more programs for xp then osx.

So i am glad i tried it, and i will continue to experiment with it, but i had expected a little more after all the hype how good osx is compared to windows.

Am i the only one here who thinks osx is not heaven and xp is hell?

The real Mac experience isn't exactly the same as OS X in a generic x86, you are missing CoreImage, QuartzExtreme and OpenGL. Also, it's hard to get a real grasp on any OS in a couple of hours, but OS X isn't for everyone. If you don't like it and still looking to replace windows may I recommend Linux, or you can go back to using MS Windows.

note: If you really want to feel the difference try to use the OSX workflow instead of implementing the windows way of doing things in Mac OS. About the "snappyness" Tiger is more memory hungry than XP (after all, it's technologically and chronologically closer to vista)

Hey wow,

I must say up until recently I liked XP better, however until recently when I got my Dell Inspiron laptop - I was only running 10.4.1, But now I have a Core Duo (which supports SSE3!) and installed 10.4.7 then 10.4.8, i've liked Mac much better.

It runs at least 2x faster then XP does, the response time is much quicker and it just generally feels easier to use.

I'm a student/web & graphic designer, and even programs like Macromedia Fireworks 8 (the graphics design package I like the best) seems to run more smoothly on Mac.

As for the windows using too little space, set the dock to the left of your screen, and click the + button on the web-browser :)

If I could get Audio to work (which I will hopefully be able to soon using a USB Adapter) I may be tempted to just have OS X on my Laptop, and keep XP on my PC.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

As for the windows using too little space, set the dock to the left of your screen, and click the + button on the web-browser :P
Tried that one already but it doenst fill the whole screen. There is 6cm row right that it doesnt cover also that part were the docking bar is doesnt get overuled.

If I could get Audio to work (which I will hopefully be able to soon using a USB Adapter) I may be tempted to just have OS X on my Laptop, and keep XP on my PC.
I hope the audio works for you here it works but i had to use the onbard sound, the soudncard isnt reconized.

about the workflow thing, i heard about it once. i think i could be very usefull. But when surfing there isnt any use for me to workflow i just want to surf and want my broser to overrule everything.

Workflow is more for people who want to work :D

You can have the dock autohide to get more screenspace, if you want. Apple Menu -> Dock -> Dock Preferences -> Automatically show and hide the dock.

Also did that, the dock disapearred but the browser still didnt use that room when expanding....

I've seen it said here before, and I still think it's the best advice I've heard for switchers.

If you go into OS X expecting it to work like Windows for you, and you try to do things like you do in Windows, you're gonna have a hard time and it'll probably suck for you.

If you go into it expecting a completely different operating system and be ready to learn new things, you'll probably love it.

That said, OS X isn't for anyone. You dont HAVE to rely on the + button. Or you can hit +, then change the size/shape of the window to your liking.

Personally I never use the + button except for a few apps that do different things with it, like itunes.

well its ok. everyone should use the system he likes. if you liek windows more, you like windows more and thats it.

i hate windows, and thats it. i like linux but i cant handle with it and i love osx and mac but not the philosophy that osx only should run on apple hardware.

thats it :(

Installed osx10.4.7 with macvidia drivers almost everything works. But it isnt as good as i espected. Glad that i nver bought a real mac.

Osx is nice to look at, but i doenst feel as fast as Xp, not as snappy. Osx keeps keeping al the windows to small. if want to surf the internet. Then i have to maximaze firefox/safair but osx doesnt let me. It keeps to much space unused.

I think osx is nice when you do something with picture/video editting or music. But for my normal use surfing, i think osx is only a waste of resources. There are also more programs for xp then osx.

So i am glad i tried it, and i will continue to experiment with it, but i had expected a little more after all the hype how good osx is compared to windows.

Am i the only one here who thinks osx is not heaven and xp is hell?

Please don't compare a hacked os running on a platfrom for wihich it was not intended to a real mac. It's not fair.

As far as the maxamize button - your right and it should be fixed - though it's an easy work around.

Ok i gone try a new install this time to look or it supports my 6600gt with 10.4.8 drivers.

Btw i like iTunes very much indeed. On windows never use it buit on osx playing mp3's, it feels good.

btw who called xp a stable os :)

When I first installed OS X on my standard 3 years old Sony Vaio, I didn't have sound, QE/CI/OpenGL. I wasn't very impressed, but I am not the sort of person who easily gives up.

I wanted to have the "full" experience (as far as it is possible if you don't own a real Mac) and build a PC with the most compatible hardware. When I finally logged in my new system, I couldn't believe my eyes.

To be said that I never was a MS Windows fan. I use it occasionally because of some program or game (very little because of games now).

I am much more a Linux fan, but the more I get used to OS X, the less I use Linux.

I find it difficult to understand how XP feels faster and snappier to you. Here it is the opposite, very much so. Mine is quite a powerful machine: in March/April 2006 it was about the best hardware you could get. XP doesn't take advantage at all of the available horsepower, OS X does.

I worked a bit longer with it, and i must say there some things that i really like on OSX. One thing i didnt find yet is the ctrl - right or left to jump 1 word to the left. I have an old pc keybord without a windows / apple key. So ediiting 1 sence takes a lot of patience.

What is that workflow something mentioned or that mac typicla way of working if i may ask? Maybe an example, i am curious.

well i also got stuck with osx. i never want to go back to windows (only for gaming if i must :))

hope that leopard wont be overloadet like vista (vista is the ugliest windows verison i've ever seen - it looks like a dell computer...)

and i think that in far future i will buy a mac (when this pc is old and crappy and slow)

My 2 cents, I'm a computer technician and make my live from Microsoft products, and that mind, thank God for so crappy product; In my house I have xp, vista an os x 10.4.8; my hackintosh kick the asses of the other two, the catch is, as the people before told you, to have the right hardware, in my case an intel915gux mobo, p4 2.8 ghz proc and 2 gig of memory, the only thing I have to add was a soundblaster usb audio card and my hackintosh is faster than an iMac a friend mine have, I have this for around three months and today I'm still awing myself with the capabilities of this OS. Don't give up so easily!. :)

post-35379-1163814863_thumb.png

I guess some things are just a matter of taste really. for example, you are complaning about the windows being too small, personally I love it. I can have a browser window open on one half of the screen and that leaves me the other half of the screen to fill with other apps. especially helpful when working on a paper. browser windows on the left for researching, and neooffice opne on the right for typing away. works out perfectly for me

My 2 cents, I'm a computer technician and make my live from Microsoft products, and that mind, thank God for so crappy product; In my house I have xp, vista an os x 10.4.8; my hackintosh kick the asses of the other two, the catch is, as the people before told you, to have the right hardware, in my case an intel915gux mobo, p4 2.8 ghz proc and 2 gig of memory, the only thing I have to add was a soundblaster usb audio card and my hackintosh is faster than an iMac a friend mine have, I have this for around three months and today I'm still awing myself with the capabilities of this OS. Don't give up so easily!. :D

Where did you get dividers for the dock?