[HOWTO] - Update Mac OS X 10.4.4 or higher to Mac OS X 10.4.8 with Mifki kernel & 10.4.9, (Dell, HP etc. Laptops - GMA950/945 & other GFX cards!)

mac.nub

73 posts in this topic

right i have made my own combination of this whihc contains the IOATA and SMBIOS and mach_kernel files...the rest you can easily get from your previous distro as it works fine although you might have to repair some permissions and back up important drivers that have already been made. It is currently hosted on my webspace so you can easilly get it.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/penny.milne/mach_kernel.zip

P.S. Who managed to get QE/CI to work on thier Dell Insprion 1300? It has a Intel 915 Graphics Card btw

Thanks

I did the update yesterday and now my hackintosh just gets stuck at the white screen with grey apple logo. The little "wheel" at the bottom just keeps going round forever (1hour +).. Any one has an idea why?

I used the mach_kernel posted by Milney xD. Is that the right mach_kernel?

• 1 month later...
Step 6) Download the old login window, delete the old one, replace it with this one.

hello, how can I replace this file under mac os? I get evereytime a message, to replace or to delte are not possible. Is the only way to boot in the singleusermode? Could anyone a help me by this problem?

• 2 weeks later...

ok, but i have 10.4.1, and i dont see any guides to update from that will this guide work?? i looked but i couldnt find any working iso that are higher i have a 10.4.6 burned but i install that and the pc just reboot to no end, btw this is on a sse2 pc, if i cant 10.4.8/9 on a sse2 what version osx86 can i got ud to?

ok, but i have 10.4.1, and i dont see any guides to update from that will this guide work?? i looked but i couldnt find any working iso that are higher i have a 10.4.6 burned but i install that and the pc just reboot to no end, btw this is on a sse2 pc, if i cant 10.4.8/9 on a sse2 what version osx86 can i got ud to?

Nah, you're going to need at least 10.4.4 to update at all. Sorry!

i looked but i couldnt find any working iso that are higher i have a 10.4.6 burned but i install that and the pc just reboot to no end, btw this is on a sse2 pc, if i cant 10.4.8/9 on a sse2 what version osx86 can i got go to?

Sorry if i not suppose to this hear but no one is helping me, what want to know is i got the infi on i-hacked website about doing the osx86 install but if jusr for 10.4.1, and now i got 10.4.4 , 10.4.6 but also get get the iso do i do anything special with it, like i did with 10.4.1? as it says this:

"Once you have UltraISO installed, go to tools - convert. . Locate the .dmg file and choose ISO as the format, click Convert and wait a few minutes (typically) for the conversion to be done. UltraISO will alert you when it's finished, so click Return and close UltraISO. Now we need to verify the checksum of that .iso file you just created (yes more checksums). Using Fastsum (or any other MD5 Hasher) verify that your new file's (Marklar-Tiger.iso) MD5 matches the one above (e78fe52........) Again, it is IMPERITIVE that it does. If it doesn't, please start over! You will save yourself a lot of time.

Once you have the Marklar-Tiger.iso with the correct MD5, you will need to do some patching in-order for it to boot properly. You will need to download Generic_OSx86_Install_DVD_Patcher_Release1.rar. (please read the Readme included) This file contains a PPF Patcher that corrects some sections in the ISO allowing it to boot and install properly. Unpack everything, and run the PPF-O-Matic, pointing it to your Marklar-Tiger.iso file, along with the Marklar-Tiger-patch-release1.ppf and yup you guessed it -- PATCH IT."

OR DO I JUST BURN IT???

also.....

i looked but i couldnt find any working iso that are higher i have a 10.4.6 burned but i install that and the pc just reboot to no end, btw will this work on a sse2 pc, if i cant 10.4.8/9 on a sse2 what version osx86 can i got go to?

• 3 weeks later...
Hello to all and a Happy New Year!!!

I wish you all better days with the OS X ! Anyway, to make long things short, i have tried the 6 step procedure with some success, that is, i got me a working 10.4.8 with 8.8.1 kernel using your instructions, but, other than the "About This Mac" problem, i lost support for CI and QE..:)

My chip is the Intel 915, and i used the extra instructions which you mentioned for Intel GMAs.

By the way, the second command line should read 915.kext instead of 195.kext, otherwise you get a "file or directory not found " message. Any idea as to how i get back full graphics support?

Mobo is the ASROCK 775 dual.

Thanks once again.

That line is correct for a Inspiron 6400 install, it will vary from system to system on others. Best bet is to not delete it at all if you are not using a Inspiron 6400! And to get it back, you will need to reinstall your graphics card drivers!

salax,

I'm having a similar issue with the graphics, the upgrade to 10.4.8 from 10.4.5 worked perfectly, big thankU to all those involved. mac.nub eGWan....

My problem is I now only have one avilable resolution 1024x768, millions so I have lost QE and CI support as well.

Mobo is Intel D915GAGL with P4 2.6Ghz

Anything i missed? :)

thanks,

aykiw

Have you tried re-installing the graphics drivers for your video card? You will need to, as they will have been overwritten/deleted!

i looked but i couldnt find any working iso that are higher i have a 10.4.6 burned but i install that and the pc just reboot to no end, btw this is on a sse2 pc, if i cant 10.4.8/9 on a sse2 what version osx86 can i got go to?

It is very easy to find 10.4.8 with SSE2 support. Search for Mac SSE2 on your favourite torrent site... if you don't have one try demonoid they definitely have what you need ;) If you can't even find it then... *Cough* JaS if your friend *Cough*, if you can't find it then... you're beyond help! - and please do not post questions relating to older versions (pre 10.4.4) of Mac here or questions not related to this install guide, before Mac 10.4.4 is not upgradable, and I can not help you with problems not related to this install guide!

The first file is not available anymore can you please email/PM me it/upload it again

Appologies, for some reason I have not been getting topic updates from the forums, or PM responses!

mach_kernel.zip can be found at:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/97ba05d6-70de-4d...c1d/mach_kernel

and the old (10.4.5) login window is also available here:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/d9ccdf6f-5806-42...loginwindow1045

Also the original post has been updated with the new links!

~mac.nub

Works great!!!

Even, I am using 2 CPU's.

Glad to hear everything worked out well :) - Now I need to go back to 10.4.8 too as 10.4.9 doesn't like my windows partitions much :) reinstall time methinks.

~mac.nub

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Hello Mac.nub

Is sleep work properly on your Dell laptop?

Can you get your laptop to wake after closing the lid?

Sorry for the extremely slow reply, I didn't realise you posted.

As for sleep, I've never been able to get it to work, I believe this is something to do with my Graphics Card however (GMA 950)

Cheers

~mac.nub

can comfirm,, worked great

Glad to hear everything worked out for you, it's always nice to get good feedback :wacko: - makes it worthwhile writing the tutorials!

~mac.nub

• 2 weeks later...
Glad to hear everything worked out for you, it's always nice to get good feedback :) - makes it worthwhile writing the tutorials!

~mac.nub

hi.. but not work on my toshiba portege m400. After reboot the screen is grey and stop. I don't know why. If I install with JaS 10.4.7, it is ok, but no sound (using sigmatel 9200). Taruga said that I have to upgrade to 10.4.8 with kernel 8.8.1 in order that AppleHDA.kext work with sigmatel 9200. Can you help me? thanks

Portege m400

centrino duo

512 MB RAM

80 GB HD

SATA

hi.. but not work on my toshiba portege m400. After reboot the screen is grey and stop. I don't know why. If I install with JaS 10.4.7, it is ok, but no sound (using sigmatel 9200). Taruga said that I have to upgrade to 10.4.8 with kernel 8.8.1 in order that AppleHDA.kext work with sigmatel 9200. Can you help me? thanks

Portege m400

centrino duo

512 MB RAM

80 GB HD

SATA

It's probably the video options you selected while installing, I always have that problem if I don't select the gma 950 driver. 99% of the time mac os x wont work because of the wrong options selected during install...

next time you start it on the load up screen put -v in the boot options to see the last line of text while it loads, then post that here.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello.

This Howto worked fine for me.

I updated it from Jas 10.4.7 Install DVD to 10.4.8

Can't update it much higher because the 10.4.9 kernel channel is down in irc

Hardware: Asrock 775i65G

CPU: Intel Celeron D 2,80 Ghz @ 3,0 Ghz

RAM: 512 MB DDR (400Mhz)

Maybe somebody can give me a link for the kernel i need?

Greets