[How-To] Installing JaS 10.4.8 DVD on a laptop without external monitor or other fancy tricks.

rogabean

6 posts in this topic

So after struggling with many ways of trying to get this laptop to 10.4.8 with the new kernels including some bastardized upgrades, manual installs and a few other tricks... I decided last night to attempt a blind install.

A lot of people with Laptops (mostly the GMA folks from my understanding) seem to have issues with the LCD screen being properly recognized. Most answer this by hooking up and external monitor and installing. Well what if you don't have an external monitor like me? Then you have to look at the paperclip trick which can void your warranty if something goes wrong. Not cool. It also doesn't work for everyone, myself included.

What you'll need:

1. JaS 10.4.8

2. A formatted HFS partition ready to go. The install DVD will not mount other partitions. Those of you with multiple HSF partitions are gonna have a problem here and I do not know these steps you will need to insert into this document. These instructions are geared to those who only have one. For those who do not have this partition yet, see the section later in this document about setting one up before starting the blind install.

3. These instructions written somewhere or printed out. (Or if you are super smart you could memorize it.. I wouldn't)

4. Working knowledge of which packages you are going to need to install from JaS's fixes.

Let's begin. (assuming you have the partition ready to go. if not scroll down to see that section first)

1. Boot up from the DVD. I found that booting with -v was the most effective. Dual core folks, you might need to throw in the cpus=1 flag as well. As I'm working with a Core Solo I did not have to.

2. If all goes well after a while you should see a blank blue screen. Sure seems like you're gonna get somewhere doesn't it? Unfortunately not. It will stay blue. Now WAIT. Wait until the DVD stops being accessed before proceeding. I can not stress this enough. The only visual clue you will along the way is the accessing of the DVD and hard drive. If you do not get the blue screen, you may be ok to continue once the DVD stops being accessed, but I can not guarantee that until someone confirms it.

3. OK, now we are ready to begin our blind install.

Hit the following keys: TAB, SPACE

This will have selected English as the primary language. For those not using English you can hit the down arrow as many times as needed for it to be on your language and then hit the above. I don't know how many that is though.

WAIT! Wait for the DVD to no longer be accessed again. You should also see the hard drive light up once or twice as well.

Once that is complete hit the following keys:

SPACE, TAB, TAB, TAB, SPACE, TAB, SPACE, TAB, TAB, SPACE, SPACE

Be very sure that you pause after every space to allow the DVD to not be accessed. This is dependent on your computer's speed. Most computers that fall in the scope of this document shouldn't have to wait but a second or two at the very most. But don't risk it. Take your time and try not to get lost in what keys you have hit so far.

Now you are in the screen for a custom install. This is where it will vary for different people.

Hit the DOWN ARROW once!

Now hit the DOWN ARROW again.

Let's go over each item of the Custom Install.

1. You are on "Printer Drivers". By default this is checked. If you do not want to install this hit the SPACE once. Do nothing if you wish to install this.

2. Hit the DOWN ARROW.

3. You are now on "Additional Fonts". By default this is checked. If you do not want to install this hit the SPACE. Do nothing if you wish to install this.

4. Hit the DOWN ARROW.

5. You are now on "Language Translations". By default this is checked. If you do not want to install this hit the SPACE. Do nothing if you wish to install this.

6. Hit the DOWN ARROW.

7. You are now on "X11". By default this is NOT checked. If you do not wish to install this then do nothing. Hit the SPACE if you wish to install this.

8. Hit the DOWN ARROW.

9. You are now on "JaS 10.4.8 Packages". This is a subsection all it's own within this document. Do NOT hit the SPACE right now or you will select every package JaS has listed and your installation will most likely not boot.

Listen very carefully.

1. Hit the RIGHT ARROW. The JaS category is now expanded.

2. Hit the DOWN ARROW.

3. You are now on "JaS 10.4.8 Combo Update". We want to install this of course. Hit the SPACE.

4. Hit the DOWN ARROW.

5. You are now on "Intel.SSE3.semthex". Hit the SPACE if this is the kernel you wish to install. Do nothing if it is not.

6. Hit the DOWN ARROW.

7. You are now on "Intel.SSE3.mikfi". Hit the SPACE if this is the kernel you wish to install. Do nothing if it is not.

8. Hit the DOWN ARROW.

9. You are now on "INTEL.ICH8.SATA.Support". Hit the SPACE if you wish to install this package. Do nothing if you do not.

10. Hit the DOWN ARROW.

11. You re now on "10.4.8.USB.Fix". Hit the SPACE if you wish to install this package. Do nothing if you do not.

12. Hit the DOWN ARROW.

13. You are now on "10.4.8.GMA900.Support". Hit the SPACE if you wish to install this package. Do nothing if you do not.

14. Hit the DOWN ARROW.

15. You are now on "10.4.8.GMA950.Support". Hit the SPACE if you wish to install this package. Do nothing if you do not.

16. Hit the DOWN ARROW.

17. You are now on "10.4.8.Azalia.Audio.Support". Hit the SPACE if you wish to install this package. Do nothing if you do not.

18. Hit the DOWN ARROW.

19. You are now on "Soundblaster.USB.Audio.Support". Hit the SPACE if you wish to install this package. Do nothing if you do not.

20. Hit the DOWN ARROW.

21. You are now on "Sigmatel9220Audio.Support". Hit the SPACE if you wish to install this package. Do nothing if you do not.

22. Hit the DOWN ARROW.

23. You are now on "JaS.10.4.8..VIA.ULI.SATA.Support". Hit the SPACE if you wish to install this package. Do nothing if you do not.

24. Hit the DOWN ARROW.

25. You are now on "ATI.ATA.Support". Hit the SPACE if you wish to install this package. Do nothing if you do not.

26. Hit the DOWN ARROW.

27. You are now on "10.4.4.Loginwindow". Hit the SPACE if you wish to install this package. Do nothing if you do not.

28. Hit the DOWN ARROW.

29. You are now on "10.4.8.x600.Mobility.Support". Hit the SPACE if you wish to install this package. Do nothing if you do not.

30. Hit the DOWN ARROW.

31. You are now on "10.4.8.ATI.Radeonx1x00.pcie.support". Hit the SPACE if you wish to install this package. Do nothing if you do not.

32. Hit the DOWN ARROW.

33. You are now on "10.4.8.ATI.Radeonx1x00.agp.support". Hit SPACE if you wish to install this package. Do nothing if you do not.

You have now made all of your customizations!

Press the following keys:

TAB, TAB, TAB, SPACE

The DVD will spin up and begin a check of itself. If you do not wish it to go all the way through this then wait 5-6 seconds and hit SPACE.

You should now see both Hard Drive activity happening and DVD Drive activity. Wait... wait.... wait..................................................

wait................

The Computer will restart itself when it is done.

You should be able to boot up into your JaS 10.4.8 installation now without incident unless you have other hardward issues not covered by this document.

As an example. For my laptop listed in my sig I hit the following key combo's for the install.

TAB, SPACE, WAIT. SPACE, TAB, TAB, TAB, SPACE, TAB, SPACE, TAB, TAB, SPACE, SPACE, DOWN, DOWN, SPACE, DOWN, SPACE, DOWN, SPACE, DOWN, SPACE, DOWN, RIGHT, DOWN, SPACE, DOWN SPACE, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, SPACE, DOWN, DOWN, SPACE, DOWN, SPACE, DOWN, SPACE, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN (with the last 6 DOWNS being truely useless, but good for following this document precisely)

Then TAB, TAB, TAB, SPACE, WAIT 5 SECONDS, SPACE.

This is merely a demonstration of a good way to write out your own directions for use or you can follow this document directly. Do NOT use my exact example for your own install unless you have the same computer as me!!

Supplement to Document - Getting a partition ready.

For my installation, I had a working JaS 10.4.7 I wanted to install over so I already had a HFS+ partition ready to go and the only other partition on the drive was NTFS and was ignored by the Install DVD for the purpose of this document.

For those without an existing HFS partition to use, my recommendation is to boot up from an older OS 10.4.x DVD that you know works on your machine (I would have used my JaS 10.4.7 Install DVD) and get the partition ready as if you were going to install using that disk. Then restart using the 10.4.8 DVD

This document is of course "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK" and "I MAKE NO GUARANTEES".

I do however know for a fact this work as I have completed this process 3 times to be sure. Just hope I didn't make any errors while typing this up.

-Rogabean

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...