10.4.8 - Rosetta doesn't work for OpenGL apps.

Templeton Peck

25 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I just upgraded my main partition to 10.4.8. Rosetta is way faster, but any PPC app that uses OpenGL just crashes to the desktop.

I'm using Mifki/Vitality's kernel on a GMA900, and the 915 kexts from my Jas 10.4.7 installation. I'm also using the OpenGL framework from my 10.4.7 installation, because the 10.4.8 one doesn't work.

Thanks.

I've been playing around with some kexts/frameworks. Using all the 915 kexts from 1.4.8 (official from Apple, not Jas or whatever) and deleting all the 950 stuff I can get into the GUI by replacing only GLEngine.bundle (part of OpenGL.framework). Of course, using the latest Framebuffer kexts limits my resolutions to 1024x768, but SwitchResX should take care of that. This still doesn't solve my basic problem of getting OpenGL apps working in Rosetta, however...

Is there anybody with GMA900 who's had success with OpenGL apps in Rosetta?

Not yet.

Have you tried running the Blender3D osx86ver program? Can't get past the 8Meg of vram required here.

I'm thinking it's probably the end of the road for 915 and sse2 for that matter , for OpenGL etc in 10.4.8

I haven't tried Blender, but I should note that I have no trouble running Native OpenGL apps such as Nanosaur, Quake III, Google Earth, sixtyforce, etc... It's the PPC OpenGL apps that give me trouble - Things like Doomsday, Tomb Raider Chronicles, Wolfenstein, Jedii Knight, Tony Hawk, etc..

Yes, QE/CI are enabled.

I honestly wouldn't mind if this were the end of the line for the GMA900. Frankly, I've been aching to get a decent video card working properly in OSx86 - a feat now possible with NVIDIA cards and Titan. But I don't want to drop the dough on a brand new video card until I'm sure it works in Leopard!

EDIT: Yes, the Intel version of Blender works as expected; the PPC version does not. Right now, I'm using the the 10.4.8 kexts except for Framebuffer, and the 10.4.5 OpenGL framework.

• 3 weeks later...

Have exactly the same trouble with 10.4.8 (Jas DVD, semthex latest kernel) on GMA950 (ASRock Conroe-DVI). Every PPC OpenGL application is crushing, with an error (in console.log)

x86 ERROR gliInitializeLibrary:256: dlopen failed: dlopen(/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources/GLEngine.bundle/GLEngine, 6): Symbol not found: ___isnanf
 Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLProgrammability.dylib
 Expected in: /usr/libexec/oah/Shims/libSystem.B.dylib

x86 FATAL: gliInitializeLibrary:256: forcing crash

It seems, that my version of OpenGL.bundle is not compatible with Rosetta.

I've tried GLEngine.bundle from 10.4.8 AMD_TEST1 ISO (yes, I know -- not so clever idea to use AMD binaries on Intel) and got black screen after running WC3 and severe artifacts after reboot (totally screwed GUI).

Also tried to change /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLProgrammability.dylib. Error message slightly changed, but result is still the same -- crash after start.

x86 ERROR gliInitializeLibrary:256: dlopen failed: dlopen(/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources/GLEngine.bundle/GLEngine, 6): Symbol not found: _kill
 Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources/GLEngine.bundle/GLEngine

If anyone still using 10.4.7 OS X could send GLEngine.bundle (or possible all OpenGL.framework folder from /System/Library/Frameworks) -- I could try it.

Has anyone tried taking the OpenGL from the Apple Intel 10.4.7 update and see if things work?
If anyone still using 10.4.7 OS X could send GLEngine.bundle (or possible all OpenGL.framework folder from /System/Library/Frameworks) -- I could try it.

If you are responding to my suggestion, I was suggesting using the Apple Intel update and extract the OpenGL (using Pacifist).

Otherwise, nevermind my ramblings.

Hey guys... basically i had the same problems as you all....

here's the problem:

- 10.4.8 openGL and 10.4.8 ATI kexts DO NOT work with rosetta.... they just crash your system

- 10.4.7 openGL and 10.4.7 ATI kexts from apple works... if i never recall wrongly, it will work with rosetta

- solution would be to go back to 10.4.6 kexts and opengl framework or use 10.4.7 kext and framework...

By the way, I've tried OGL.Framework from JaS DVD, and found that only one which is placed at /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.Framework (on the DVD) works. The one which is in /System/Installation/Packages/Jas.10.4.8.with.semthex.pkg (extraced with Pacifist) doesn't work either. So, I am not even sure, that OpenGL.Framework placed on DVD is really 10.4.8 version.

hi every one ive got the exactly same issue

the code in the console is following_:

===== Sunday, December 17, 2006 7:04:49 PM Europe/Berlin =====
x86 ERROR gliInitializeLibrary:256: dlopen failed: dlopen(/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources/GLEngine.bundle/GLEngine, 6): Symbol not found: ___isnanf
 Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLProgrammability.dylib

x86 FATAL: gliInitializeLibrary:256: forcing crash
Dec 17 19:05:04 anbus-computer crashdump[247]: Wolfenstein ET crashed
Dec 17 19:05:04 anbus-computer crashdump[247]: crash report written to: /Users/ANBU/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Wolfenstein ET.crash.log

Graphics Card: Intel GMA 950 QE/CI supported

Version : 10.4.8 Jas only intel with Mifki Kernel ( and semthex whichever)

i hope there will be a solution

btw this occurs when i am trying to plac RtCW ET - Return to Castle Wolfenstein Enemy Territory

• 9 months later...