Can't boot into high sierra install

Nancy10

25 posts in this topic

Hello i had this problem when trying to boot high sierra install media.

I have the message in the picture and jt stays there for ever.

Hi

Can you be more specific about your hardware specs? How did you create the install media?

are you using the latest fakesmc and related kexts?

If you can update your signature with your hardware specs that would be helpful for future reference and make things easier for people to help you.

• Like 1

I had the same with my Haswell/HD4600 Dell Latitude E6440 laptop. It was stuck on this screen, refreshing it every few seconds but going nowhere. I was using the same installation key for other systems with different Clover setups, so I knew the media installation was correct.

It's an issue with graphics initialisation. I can't remember how I fixed it in my Clover config now but maybe you can post your zipped Clover EFI folder so that we can have a look.

I already did post the rared clover. i'll use the Zip

My Specs are : 

intel i5-6198 DU 2.8ghz

intel HD 510

Nvidia GeForce 920MX

The latest version of fakesmc, i think not. i should check that out.

also, here is a complete spec sheet from DxDiag in case you wanted to know anything else and my clover folder too.

Sorry I had a busy day and I couldn't get check the EFI, but as Hervé suggested you need to remove the Nvidia related injections and from what I see you are missing the IntelGraphicsFixUp.kext and Lilu.kext

Use MacBookPro 13.x family as your SMBIOS.

The FakeSMC.kext is up to date but there's another version from Slice that you can find in his repo at: HWSensors3 for Intel and AMD

• Like 1

Seems you're somehow trying to get both GPUs to work. That's not possible. Optimus is not supported under OS X/macOS. Disable your nVidia GPU and do not inject nVidia to begin with... Then choose a proper Skylake SMBIOS profile. Adjust your config with latest version of Clover Configurator and use the latest version of Clover too.

I have done that, yet same error. 

I already run OSX sierra with the same config.plist, does the high sierra needed config change a lot from version to the next ?

I have done that, yet same error. 

I already run OSX sierra with the same config.plist, does the high sierra needed config change a lot from version to the next ?

You can use the same config for macOS Mavericks up to macOS High Sierra, if you need to add any specific patch for any version of macOS you can use the "MatchOS" field in the config.plist under "Kernel and Kext Patches".

I use the same config for my macOS Sierra and macOS High Sierra and the config.plist is almost the same.

• Like 1

You can use the same config for macOS Mavericks up to macOS High Sierra, if you need to add any specific patch for any version of macOS you can use the "MatchOS" field in the config.plist under "Kernel and Kext Patches".

I use the same config for my macOS Sierra and macOS High Sierra and the config.plist is almost the same.

Then why it is not booting properly ? is there anyway i can get more logs or something ?

You can use F2 in clover GUI it will save the preboot log.

Did you remove all the nvidia related settings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I don't really know what settings to uncheck ( i did uncheck everything related to nvidia but didnt work )

SO i just copied the clover file from my sierra install and used it .

I did manage to get to the first unpackaging stage which ended suddenly with my PC rebooting ( i think it was at the end of the unpackaging but i do'nt think it finished it ) .

I did reboot and go through with the install, it went on for 2 minutes and then says disk space is not enough to complete this operation while i had 50GB free( which was my old sierra install ).

i had to hit the restart button but when i tried again, it says some install file is missing.

i will be trying this again after work.

Try this clover folder.

Make a backup of your existing clover folder just in case. I suggest you use a new USB disk as a bootable device and use that to boot your system from just incase it doesn't work.

The OSInstall.mpkg is missing error is usually happening when you have windows installed on another disk or using an old FakeSMC.kext or the install files are simply corrupted.

EFI.zip

• Like 1

Try this clover folder.

Make a backup of your existing clover folder just in case. I suggest you use a new USB disk as a bootable device and use that to boot your system from just incase it doesn't work.

The OSInstall.mpkg is missing error is usually happening when you have windows installed on another disk or using an old FakeSMC.kext or the install files are simply corrupted.

I did try your EFI folder, but unfortuantly it didn't work and i still got stuck at the windowservice infinite loop.

here is my current clover folder, and i managed to ge the install logs form where it stopped saying no space is available, it has to do with my usb-C i think (start from the end of file ).

Please look into it and tel me what can i do .

CLOVER.zip

Installer Log 02-27-18.txt

The EFI folder you posted has no kexts inside.

Use my EFI Folder's kexts and add them to your EFI

Add these files and try again:

FakeSMC.kext

USBInjectall.kext

Do you have any other operating system on your hard disk? I suppose you have windows on another partition right??

• Like 1

Yes i do have windows on a partition, a data partition and an other partition with Zen Arch Linux installed in.

I don't really think there is a problem with the partitionning, i did install sierra while having windows.

I will try and use the kexts you mentioned and post results in an hour.

Yes i do have windows on a partition, a data partition and an other partition with Zen Arch Linux installed in.

I don't really think there is a problem with the partitionning, i installed sierra while having windows.

I will try and use the kexts you mentioned and post results in an hour.

This problem started with macOS High Sierra when you have more than one hdd or having another OS installed. As I mentioned earlier there are several reasons which will prevent macOS High Sierra from getting installed on a system and resulting in OSInstall.mpkg error. (Although you have another problem as you said, the lack of free space, this error might be related to the size and the free space of the EFI partition itself not the destination volume you want to install macOS on)

If you can reach the installer's screen with any of the EFI folders you have; and IF you can remove windows or any other OS you have to perform a clean install from scratch please do so, Just to narrow down the cause of the error otherwise it will be much more complicated to troubleshoot the problem.

Once macOS High Sierra extracts the installer files and if the process gets interrupted in the second stage of the installation you have no choice rather than formatting the installation volume and start over.

Well thank you, but I can't really Uninstaller my windows or Linux. But I did read that this error is related to the EFI partition. So I added 200 mb more to the already existing EFI partition from my previous install, now it has 250 mb free space but I still get that error. So I am asking if the EFI partition is the solution, is it the one I pointed out and do I need to increase the size a bit more? Thx

if you can boot into the installer after selecting the language you can open "Terminal" from "Utilities" menu. Run "diskutil list" command without the quotes of course and post the results here so I can take a look and see how your hard disk is partitioned.

It might help to see what's what.

• Like 1

Hey,

I did get to the terminal and here is the diskutil list output.

( a lot of partitions i didn't know about before just showed up )

attachicon.gifL.txt

From what I see you have two Apple_Boot partitions 

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0
   1:                        EFI SYSTEM                  524.3 MB   disk0s1
   2:       Microsoft Basic Data                         524.7 GB   disk0s2
   3:       Microsoft Basic Data                         338.4 GB   disk0s3
   4:        Bios Boot Partition                         54.7 GB    disk0s4
   5:       Microsoft Basic Data NO NAME                 21.8 GB    disk0s5
   6:                  Apple_HFS MAC                     56.9 GB    disk0s6
   7:                 Apple_Boot                         650.0 MB   disk0s7
   8:                 Apple_Boot                         650.0 MB   disk0s8

Remove partitions number 6, 7 and 8 and try again.

• Like 1

From what I see you have two Apple_Boot partitions 

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk0
   1:                        EFI SYSTEM                  524.3 MB   disk0s1
   2:       Microsoft Basic Data                         524.7 GB   disk0s2
   3:       Microsoft Basic Data                         338.4 GB   disk0s3
   4:        Bios Boot Partition                         54.7 GB    disk0s4
   5:       Microsoft Basic Data NO NAME                 21.8 GB    disk0s5
   6:                  Apple_HFS MAC                     56.9 GB    disk0s6
   7:                 Apple_Boot                         650.0 MB   disk0s7
   8:                 Apple_Boot                         650.0 MB   disk0s8

Remove partitions number 6, 7 and 8 and try again.

That did it. Thank you, now i need to fix my old clover to be able to boot properly to my new OSX install. 

If you can, can you help me with battery, sound and VGA they don't work. i'll deal with WIFI and bluetooth later myself. 

This is the clover folder i am using now (i deleted the themes folder)

CLOVER.zip

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Battery and sound working but, My headphone port doesn't work properly. the sound it outputs is bad, very bad but speakers work fine.

I got bluetooth to work first by installing some corecapture kexts, but then when I installed an IO80211Family Kext ( all kexts installed are from my old install, they didn't work because the install was not clean ) I got a working wifi, but bluetooth stopped working.  really weird.

So If anybody can spare some knowledge here and help, otherwise thank you for all help.