Update or not to update Clover...

Peke

7 posts in this topic

Hi Guys.

Currently im using revision 4380 and my system is working fine. I always work under the premise to not try to fix something that is already working.

But as clover revision changes the question would be "when to really update clover" (today revision 4411)

And what would the best way. Using the install/update option in Clover Configurator or just downloading the lates pkg.?

thx in advance.

I like to have the latest versions of all the software I have on my machine, but when it comes to Clover I see no need to update it regularly. If it works there is really no need to change anything.

New package contains updated AptioMemoryFix which prevents OS crashes is some rare cases. There may be your case.

About Clover revisions you may see what was changed in the history

https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/4415/log/?path=

There are changes in package, in build rules, in hibernation, in private data - nothing significant.

• 6 months later...

It might be of interest for some of you to know, that there is a new issue updating newer versions to Clover 4658 and how to solve the issue.

ISSUE:

I had a (almost) fully functional Clover 4630 dual boot configuration to OSX 10.13.6 and SuseLinux. After discovering the potential of Clover Configurator I updated enthusiastically my Clover from 4630 to 4658 with a Black Screen after reboot and Clover UI.

SOLVING the issue:

There are older posts out there from early 2018, who are solving a similar issue by copying OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi from the youngest of the old Clover-/EFI-Backups to new /EFI with the Clover-Shell. The then new AptioMemoryFix-64.efi caused that problem from older Clover versions.

Trying to solve the matter with the suggested method I found out, that my old EFI-Backup of my youngest Clover 4630-EFI-Backup did NOT contain the old OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi but already the new AptioMemoryFix-64.efi. And my new \EFI did NOT contain either one of the to files!

So I copied the AptioMemoryFix-64.efi from the FS?\EFI-Backups\rXXXX\YYYY-MM-DD-HHhMIN\EFI\CLOVER\drivers64UEFI directory to the FS??\EFI\CLOVER\drivers64UEFI\ directory. (Explanation for the Link: XXXX is the last Clover version, which worked for you, e.g. r4630 for Clover 4630. YYYY is the year, MM the month, dd the the day and HH the hour and MIN the minutes of your last EFI-backup. So for me it looked like ...\r4630\2018-08-23-21h45\EFI\...

For all the newbees like me:

1. Boot your computer.

2. If clover pops up, hit one of the arrow keys to stop the automatic countdown to boot an OS.

3. Click with your mouse the Clover Shell symbol (usually most left in the 2nd row beneath your boot options).

4. Type "map". You will get a list of your drives.

5. Make a list of your drives at paper with a pen. (Yeah, real high tech!) FS0: FS1: ...

6. Start with your first drive by typing "FS1:" and hit enter.

7. Type "ls" (small "L" with a small "s"). You´ll get a list of directories.

8. If you get a directory named "EFI" or "EFI-Backups" type for instance "cd EFI" and hit enter. 

9. In our example you will (after typing "ls" in the EFI-directory) see a Clover-directory. Repeat the cd - ls - sequence until you see the directories at the lowest level with your missing and containing AptioMemoryFix-64.efi, respectively. To move to higher levels, type "cd.."

10. Make notes, where your missing file (AptioMemoryFix-64.efi) is (in the EFI-backups-link) and where your file is needed (in the EFI-Link). DO NOT REBOOT your computer!!! (For me it changed all the numbers of the drives, so I had to start with 4.) again.)

11. Type your version of "cp FS?\EFI-Backups\rXXXX\YYYY-MM-DD-HHhMIN\EFI\CLOVER\drivers64UEFI\AptioMemoryFix-64.efi FS??\EFI\CLOVER\drivers64UEFI\" and hit enter. You should get a success note after the procedure ("OK").

12. Reboot computer.

13. Enjoy booting OSX again.

I hope this helps to guys like me, not having a backup of an alternative booting a backup of an older Clover-version.