High Sierra on older hardware - worth the hassle?

jclem

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've been working in business IT for about 15 years and was given a Barracuda backup server recently. This basically had a consumer motherboard, 2Gb of RAM, a cheap Celeron processor and some large drives. However after looking into it I found the motherboard could support an i7 3770....

So an eBay purchase later and grabbing some other parts I had lying around I have the following all in a case:

• MSI H61M-P25-B3 Motherboard
  • i7 3770 - Stock
  • 16Gb DDR3 RAM
  • 120Gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD

I've been having a good read through the forums and found MaLd0n's guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/323052-guide-sierra-high-sierra-on-intel-5-6-7-8-9-and-x99-chipset-series-nehalem-sandybridge-ivybridge-haswell-broadwell/

I've made the USB using a mid-2012 MacBook Pro with High Sierra and installed Clover onto the USB afterwards but when I boot the loading bar just slowly increases over the course of an hour and when it gets to the end nothing happens. 

Am I wasting my time here or can this work?

Cheers

• Like 1

Did you add fakesmckext to clover/Kexts/Other folder?

Use the cursor arrows to go to Options before you boot and go to ACPI tables and uncheck everything but fixdisplay and fixusb. Then go to cpu tuning and uncheck everything, then to Binaries and check KernelPM, and AppleRT. Add fake ID 0x0306A0.

Then return to boot screen and hit space bar and select verbose mode. Take a picture when it stops and post it for help.