RX 480 Not recognized correctly

vpac

104 posts in this topic

I have a minor issue  with my RX 480. It is not showing correctly in my system report. It shows as an RX 560. I edited the RX 560 in AMDxxxControllerPatcher.kext to be RX 480 and it seemed to work for a few boots but it reverted. 

Not sure what else I should be doing. One thing I did notice is that when it properly showed RX 480 that the PCI section correctly showed the slots and when it is incorrect, the NVMe controller shows to be Ethernet rather than M.2 and the RX 480 shows to be in slot 4 instead of slot one. I know the two are connected but not sure how to address it.

I do have the board working properly with the Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext and it even wakes up after I hit the space bar, but the system has issues and this is one of them

I am running an X99 in a rampage V extreme with High Sierra 10.13.3

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks MaLd0n

I tried that kext ( I was using 1.1.4 ) and it did not change the name of the display adapter to RX 480 and the PCI section in the system report still does not seem right.

It must not be that kext. I opened the kext just o see if there was a place to change RX 560 to RX 480 and it seems that is no longer in the kext. I am not sure why it did not change anything. I wish I knew more about this.

Is there anything else that you think might help? I am not really very good with this but I can follow directions as long as I understand.

Thanks Again

• Like 1

Thanks MaLd0n

I tried that kext ( I was using 1.1.4 ) and it did not change the name of the display adapter to RX 480 and the PCI section in the system report still does not seem right.

It must not be that kext. I opened the kext just o see if there was a place to change RX 560 to RX 480 and it seems that is no longer in the kext. I am not sure why it did not change anything. I wish I knew more about this.

Is there anything else that you think might help? I am not really very good with this but I can follow directions as long as I understand.

Thanks Again

This sounds more of a DSDT/SSDT issue to me. Would like to know what version of Clover, Lilu, Whatevergreen, BIOS you have. Are you using a patched DSDT/SSDT? 

• Like 2

MaLd0n

I had used the loader from the SSD but I had modified the loader on the USB. Once I booted from the USB, the RX 480 is now showing correctly!! I really would like to thank you for your help. I still have things that are wrong on my system like the PCI section is all incorrect and the bluetooth does not connect. 

I will try to find the right forums for that and hope I can find someone as helpful as you to help me.

Thanks!!

• Like 1

Pavo -

Boy, this one of those rare sights where people are very helpful!

I had tried a DSDT but it did not seem to do anything, but I am not sure I did it right. I just put it into the efi/acpi/patched folder

It is now unpatched.

I am not sure what Clover I have I do not see a version number but am probably not looking in the right place. It is the Clover that gets downloaded from the TonyMacx86 site that is bundled with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 8.1.0

If you tell me how to check, I will do that. I just installed the 1.1.5 version of Whatevergreen. I believe I am running 1.2.1 for Lilu

I will need to reboot and get into my BIOS to see what version it is. I will post as soon as I check it.

Pavo

I am running BIOS 3701. There is a recent update to 3801. I can update to that if you think it might help

run it and send me files

attachicon.gifRunMe.app.zip

extract one ioreg too

attachicon.gifIORegistryExplorer.app.zip

Sure. I would love to. give me a few minutes.

run it and send me files

extract one ioreg too

MaLd0n

Here is one file. I says I can not upload the other file but I will try the basic uploader

run it and send me files

extract one ioreg too

I zipped the second file. It can get uploaded that way. Hopefully you can make some sense out of this. I'm really looking forward to this.

Thanks

Send me Vito’s Mac Pro.zip

Vito’s Mac Pro.zip

• Like 1

I am not sure what Clover I have I do not see a version number but am probably not looking in the right place. It is the Clover that gets downloaded from the TonyMacx86 site that is bundled with ##### 8.1.0

Well that would explain a lot, you might wanna read http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/completely get rid of anything tonycrap related then start from the beginning. We can not help you mainly because we do not know what all Tonycrap has put in your system, it would be best to wipe it and start scratch without using anything Tonycrap related.

• Like 1

MaLd0n

One more thing. Besides changing the video board to RX 480, that new Whatevergreen also made my Bluetooth come back. It won't connect to anything but at least it now sees the bluetooth.

Well that would explain a lot, you might wanna read http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/completely get rid of anything tonycrap related then start from the beginning. We can not help you mainly because we do not know what all Tonycrap has put in your system, it would be best to wipe it and start scratch without using anything Tonycrap related.

This has really been an education. I am not crazy about the files that were provided on the install package. 

Do you guys have a different install process I can follow?

I'll look around on your site and see if I can find one. My preference is to fix this one, but if you honestly think that is the only way to fix this, I'll do it. I just want this to work and have it be fairly solid.

Thanks Pavo

• Like 1

MaLd0n

One more thing. Besides changing the video board to RX 480, that new Whatevergreen also made my Bluetooth come back. It won't connect to anything but at least it now sees the bluetooth.

This has really been an education. I am crazy about the files that were provided on the install package. 

Do you guys have a different install process I can follow?

I'll look around on your site and see if I can find one. My preference is to fix this one, but if you honestly think that is the only way to fix this, I'll do it. I just want this to work and have it be fairly solid.

Thanks Pavo

I have a installer guide that you could follow, it was made for Sierra but the same process is for High Sierra. https://github.com/Pavo-IM/CloverInstallI highly advise to start from scratch because we do not know what all you have done to your system nor do we know what all Tonycrap has done. 

• Like 1

Pavo -

Boy, this one of those rare sights where people are very helpful!

I had tried a DSDT but it did not seem to do anything, but I am not sure I did it right. I just put it into the efi/acpi/patched folder

It is now unpatched.

I am not sure what Clover I have I do not see a version number but am probably not looking in the right place. It is the Clover that gets downloaded from the TonyMacx86 site that is bundled with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 8.1.0

If you tell me how to check, I will do that. I just installed the 1.1.5 version of Whatevergreen. I believe I am running 1.2.1 for Lilu

I will need to reboot and get into my BIOS to see what version it is. I will post as soon as I check it.

Pavo

I am running BIOS 3701. There is a recent update to 3801. I can update to that if you think it might help

Sure. I would love to. give me a few minutes.

MaLd0n

Here is one file. I says I can not upload the other file but I will try the basic uploader

I zipped the second file. It can get uploaded that way. Hopefully you can make some sense out of this. I'm really looking forward to this.

Thanks

here

vpac.zip

if u use any SSDT, remove, dont need, remove SSDT PM too

check kexts, native audio, good usb, let me know if work good

• Like 1

The Tonysite fixes using their tools usually add kexts to the Library/Extensions folder.    If you go to your top tool bar and next to the Apple logo select "Finder" then scroll to "Preferences" and select.   A window should pop up check the box next to "Hard Disks".    Your drives should show on your desktop now.   Click on the one with your install and go to Library then scroll to Exentsions folder.    That is where any kexts from the other site will be located.    Remove lilu, Whatevergreen, fakesmc, and any others that you added from the site that you can remember adding during your build.

Most users at this site use these kexts in their Clover/Kexts/Other folder because its easier to remove and replace them when newer versions come out.  

MaLd0n:

wow... thanks. I will try this before I tear everything down. I have so much time into this.

I know where SSDT is, but I do not know what SSDT PM is. I don't think I have one though.

So, I should use the included DSDT and get rid of all of my kexts and just use the ones you sent me? I should leave all of the files in the clover/drivers64UEFI alone?

• Like 1

The Tonysite fixes using their tools usually add kexts to the Library/Extensions folder.    If you go to your top tool bar and next to the Apple logo select "Finder" then scroll to "Preferences" and select.   A window should pop up check the box next to "Hard Disks".    Your drives should show on your desktop now.   Click on the one with your install and go to Library then scroll to Exentsions folder.    That is where any kexts from the other site will be located.    Remove lilu, Whatevergreen, fakesmc, and any others that you added from the site that you can remember adding during your build.

Most users at this site use these kexts in their Clover/Kexts/Other folder because its easier to remove and replace them when newer versions come out.  

Thanks Gigamaxx --

Things look good there. I don't see any kext names that I recognize as normally in the clover install

post ur full clover folder here, i'll check it

MaLd0n

My EFI folder is too large to fit even if I compress it.

It has 3 folders in it. A boot folder, a clover folder, and an Apple folder.

I was able to attach the boot and clover folders but even compressed, the apple folder is too large.

Should that even be in the refi directory?

sorry, I thought you asked for my entire EFI directory. You just wanted the clover folder. I sent you that

BOOT.zip

CLOVER.zip

Edited by vpac

MaLd0n

I am not exactly sure what to make of this MaLd0n.

When I changed out the clover folder, I rebooted and it went into a completely different clover booter. I booted and there were lots of initial errors and then it sent into the regular boot sequence. When I got into OSX, it looked good. REALLY good. Everything looked like it was there. The PCI was right, it had the audio, everything looked really good. The only issue was that the bluetooth was there but the little spinning icon was still there and it could not connect to anything. 

So I decided to give it another quick boot to see if it would fix itself. Well, it went back to the original clover booter and when I got into OSX, it was the very same as before. PCI was broken, bluetooth could not be found, audio was missing again. Even the RX 480 became an RX 560 again.

I don't understand why. I rebooted it a third time and got the same as the second time. I looked in the clover directory to see if somehow the files were overwritten, but it looked just like the copied folder.

I did an ioreg after the first boot just like you wanted, and then I did another after I booted it the second time. 

Do you have any idea why it does stuff like that? It's almost like it has a memory and bounces back.

MaLd0n

EDIT

ok, I have some better news but I do not know why it did it.

I have been making the EFI changes to my USB and not the SSD so that I leave that alone until I get this way I want it. At least I know I have a bootable version on my SSD.

My motherboard had it booting from the SSD, and it did. For some reason, my motherboard had changed my first choice bootable drive to my SSD and that is the clover I booted from the second and third time. It has never done that before. So I changed the boot drive back to the USB and it booted just like the first time. Everything is there except the bluetooth does not see or connect to anything.

This is better. Much better

Vito’s Mac Pro After.zip

Vito’s Mac Pro After 2nd reboot.zip

ok, I have some better news but I do not know why it did it.

I have been making the EFI changes to my USB and not the SSD so that I leave that alone until I get this way I want it. At least I know I have a bootable version on my SSD.

My motherboard had it booting from the SSD, and it did. For some reason, my motherboard had changed my first choice bootable drive to my SSD and that is the clover I booted from the second and third time. It has never done that before. So I changed the boot drive back to the USB and it booted just like the first time. Everything is there except the bluetooth does not see or connect to anything.

This is better. Much better

it's time to fresh install!

ok. I will don that if you want, but read my update. It added it to the bottom of my last post. The BIOS changed the boot drive for some reason. When I figured that out, I changed it back and now it is all great again except for the bluetooth can not see any connections. It just keeps searching.

Very strange. It did it again. After I boot it once with the new clover, the BIOS gets changed to boot from the SSD instead of the USB.

By the way, the errors it gives me on initial boot with the correct clover is Slide ###   HEX number.  cannot be used.

The ### is an incrementing number. The last number was 127

Slide 127 HEX NUMBER cannot be used.

I don't know where this log is kept. It goes by very fast

what BT u have?

Sorry... What is a BT?

oh... bluetooth. It is the once that is built onto the Asus Rampage V Extreme motherboard. I think it is a BroadCom?

bluetooth

use slide=128 in boot args

I go to the options icon in clover and add that to the boot argument?

"slide=128"?