Partial Success but with random graphics lags (video included) (Coffeelake + 1080 ti)

maerten

15 posts in this topic

Hi!

After reading through several guides, I have managed to install MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3, using Clover Vibrant edition.

My setup:

Intel i7 8700k (not overclocked)

Gigabyte z370 aorus gaming 7

Gigabyte NVIDIA 1080 ti

LG Ultrafine 5k (over Thunderbolt3 with gc-alpine-ridge card)

Dell 4k monitor over DisplayPort

The machine works fine under windows 10 (for games)

Installation os High Sierra:

1. Installed MacOS with Clover, added EmuVariable kext

2. Installed latest NVIDIA webdriver, but performance was terrible, so I reverted to older version (with webdriver.sh) 378.10.10.10.25.106

3. Enabled video acceleration via IGPU (Intel HD 630) by setting platform id (0x59120003), IntelGFX (0x59128086) and FakePCIID / FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics kexts (verified with VDADecoderCheck)

4. Enabled onboard audio with audio_CloverALC script

5. I have set an ssdt for Coffeelake (generated with ssdtPRGen-coffeelake)

Resulting EFI/Clover + config.plist attached

The issue: the whole UI micro stutters / lags occuring randomly (about every second), this one issue makes this machine unusable as a hackintosh :(

The stutters are most easily visible in the WebGL water demo:

http://madebyevan.com/webgl-water/

( i have included a video recording of my screen )

Perhaps interesting to note, the audio works fine and music, or the audio of youtube videos doesn't stutter at all (but the video does).

When i'm not playing any music, i can sometimes hear electric noise through my headphones, which goes silent during those short periods of lag/freeze.

I've tried many things to fix the UI / video / graphics stutters and lags. Things like setting the ids of the Gigabyte mainboard in clover config.plist, or adding a DSDT.aml file, but it didnt work and only made things worse. I also tried looking trrough 'log show' or Console.app to see if there are any obvious errors or exceptions occuring, but I didn't see anything that could be connected.

Any help is very much appreciated!  :)

CLOVER.zip

config.plist.zip

hackintosh_lag.mp4.zip

• Like 1

Hi MaLd0n,

sip is disabled, in Clover Configurator > Rt Variables > i can see CsrActiveConfig = 0x67

so no action needed.

i uninstalled my nvidia webdriver (.104), .106

rebooted,

and then installed InsanelyMacWebDriver(OsxBuild_17C205\)-378.10.10.10.25.104.pkg

and patched with NvWeb_Pather.

After reboot, the result is the same :( still random lag/freeze like in the video

take a test

disable intelhdgraphics in bios and try

btw, u can use only my folder, dont need ssdt for PM, etc

ok i disabled IGPU and installed your CLOVER folder

bootscreen looks very nice :)

it didn't solve my graphics issue though, graphics are the same as in the video I posted: smooth animation but about every second there is a stutter/lag

Sidenote: I do see better transparency effects in Clover, when switching between screens. But it also sometimes causes some lag. Not sure if the improvement is because of driver .104 or the clover folder

The GUI lag is caused by the latest Web Driver. Use 10.13.2 Web Driver and patch it to run on 10.13.3

Yes the .25.156 driver has extreme lag, but on my machien also 25.104 and 25.106 have more subtle lags every second.

(I dont know if it is the drivers or something else though)

I've tried a few more things, but the still the same issue (smooth graphics but short lag every second):

- tried older webdriver from 10.13.1; same result but maybe even a bit worse

- tried changing a few bootflags (copied from my previous config.plist)

- tried booting with only the IGPU Intel HD 630 (removed nvidia webdriver, connected DisplayPort from mobo) : boot stops at a black screen with flashing text "WindowServer ... unset ... something" (i can get full message if its important)

- i have tried EFI that i found here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-i7-8700k-ga-z370-aorus-gaming-7.238537/ (and adapted config.plist for serial numbers, platform id and fakeid for intel).

still the same issue.

can there be other things wrong in the system? memory? cpu? any ideas how to debug random system lags?

thank you :)

I've tried a few more things, but the still the same issue (smooth graphics but short lag every second):

- tried older webdriver from 10.13.1; same result but maybe even a bit worse

- tried changing a few bootflags (copied from my previous config.plist)

- tried booting with only the IGPU Intel HD 630 (removed nvidia webdriver, connected DisplayPort from mobo) : boot stops at a black screen with flashing text "WindowServer ... unset ... something" (i can get full message if its important)

- i have tried EFI that i found here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-i7-8700k-ga-z370-aorus-gaming-7.238537/ (and adapted config.plist for serial numbers, platform id and fakeid for intel).

still the same issue.

can there be other things wrong in the system? memory? cpu? any ideas how to debug random system lags?

thank you :)

Try installing Sierra and see if the problem persists

Try installing Sierra and see if the problem persists

Thanks for the suggestion!

1. i installed sierra 10.12.6 (16G29) with MaLd0n's EFI/Clover,

2. and installed the appropriate NVIDIA webdriver 378.05.05.25f01 (which does not need version patching)

The problem is not solved, but it has improved slightly:

- High Sierra: 1 second no lag, then system freezes for 50ms [repeat]

- Sierra: 1 second no lag, then system freezes for 10ms [repeat]

The freezes/lags became much shorter (sometimes almost unnoticable), it still happens at the same interval. Still sometimes the freezes are too much, so the system is not usable yet.

Any other things I can try?

.104 and .106 (and later) give annoying lag on 10.13.3, there is no fix for this yet. We have to wait for 10.13.4 and Nvidia driver update, and hope that that will fix it. The situation just sucks at the moment.

This issue affects mostly Skylake/Coffeelake CPU's, and the lag is worse for pascal cards. Also real macs with nvidia cards are affected.

Running 378.05.05.25f01 on 10.12.6 gives the best results but is also not entirely lag-free.