X79 USB timing issues

J Lamp

2 posts in this topic

I've been running a Gigabyte X79-UD5 with a MacPro 6,1 smbios for quite a while now. The machine is very stable. Everything works fine, USB2 and USB3 (FL1009) sound etc., or at least that's what I thought.

Recently I plugged a midi keyboard into the USB3 port. It powers up and shows up in the Audio Midi Setup app, but no midi is transferred to Logic X. Plugging it into a USB2 port it does work, but the midi is delayed transferring to the program. It's not an audio latency problem (I'm using 128 samples, it will run comfortably at 64) but is a problem of the midi events (key presses) actually showing up late.

The keyboard is class compliant (M-Audio) so it should work fine. I have the same issue with other midi devices on this machine as well.

I've built a lot of hacks for music production, this is the first time I've encountered this. These devices (keyboard, etc.) work without issue on other builds.

I've tried this with Sierra and High Sierra on the same machine with the same results.

I've also tried a few different ways of injecting the ports (kexts, SSDT injection, clover) always the same result.

Can anyone offer any advice on this one?