[Howto] Recover HFS+ partition error after Vista installation

TopazBar

59 posts in this topic

Hey TopazBar,

i like your little tutorial, seems like it should make my system bootable using just the first section, only problem is when i enter single user mode, ( black dos type screen ) it enters in read only mode, i access fdisk, updates ok but as soon as i try to write my changes i always get permission denied, im off to try this in the kernel of the installation disk :) hopefully this will still work, but how can i get write access at this stage as it is a lot faster than waiting for the installer to load properly to get to kernel as i need to use the safe mode, and verbose switches which seem to slow the process.

thanks in advance.

BEN

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your AMAZING, THANK YOU,

done you first section of code but from Terminal using my correct disc ( rdisk3 ) and for the first time, my laptop has given me an apple logo, on bootup without any discs or pen drives attached, thats good enough for now :) its getting late ( 04:20am but im happy enough to sleep now )

thank you

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

This doesn't seem to help me. I had vista installed first on one drive, and then installed OS X onto a 2nd drive. OS X would only boot with the disc in the drive, so I set the boot menu up and can now load vista again. The problem is I now have the error about HFS+ but can't get into OSX to do the second part of this guide. The partition is deffinately active. Any ideas?

1. Boot off OSX dvd disc in single user mode (press F8 and type -s)

2. At single user prompt

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 1

update

write

quit

4 reboot

At this point OSX should boot up, just like prior to Vista installation.

I have Windows on partition 2, OS X on 3, Linux on 5.

So I did flag 3 instead of flag 1 in the first step.

After rebooting: No grub menu but appearently attempt to directly boot mac os x.

But result is: "HFS+ partition error" same as before :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks a lot bro, this worked just right without a problem at all!!! I was trying to figure this out for over 9 hours yesterday and couldnt do anything but reboot and reinstall everything. There should be a link to this on the wiki for people like me that seached FOREVER to figure it out. Thanks again!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am, new to this forum and this is my first post.

I installed OS X 10.5.2 to my HP DV9500 and everything went as the

guide (http://dailyapps.net/2008/03/hack-attack-d...-windows-vista/)

said it would and as of right now, the computer boots into OS X exclusively and only from

the DVD. I am unable to dual boot.

I would like to try the whole "fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 flag 1quit reboot" thing that seems to work

for everyone else how ever when I depress F8 at ANY point once the computer is turned

on (nevermind when accessing the DVD) it just ighnores me and continues with the

lines of text that seem to come from the Darwin loader followed by OS X.

I think I am missing the whole single user thing but I do not see where that option would

come from.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

i did tried this and i cant boot into grub anymore:

1 = xp

2 = osx86

3 = ubuntu

at first, i changed flag to 2 but it didnt boot and got the same hfs+ partition error, so i changed it back to 3 where grub is (it's in the same partition as the linux right), i get a blank screen with a flashing underscore, then i changed flag to 1 and it booted into xp

so now i'm stuck without a grub menu and it wont boot into the ubuntu partition

Grub is a bootloader all to itself...this guide is NOT for grub users...

It is a shame though that the support community in Linux almost doesn't exist.

Sure there are forums but the geeks who are masterful with linux are so reclusive they can't even socialize properly in forums.

What I would tell you is that PC_EFI is used by almost EVERY distro of OSX86 available since the beginning of 2008 (approx).

It's a non-destructive bootloader and shouldn't touch/edit anything. Try removing Ubuntu then using this guide.

When it's all working, then try again with Ubuntu if you absolutely need grub...

Grub is a bootloader all to itself...this guide is NOT for grub users...

It is a shame though that the support community in Linux almost doesn't exist.

Sure there are forums but the geeks who are masterful with linux are so reclusive they can't even socialize properly in forums.

What I would tell you is that PC_EFI is used by almost EVERY distro of OSX86 available since the beginning of 2008 (approx).

It's a non-destructive bootloader and shouldn't touch/edit anything. Try removing Ubuntu then using this guide.

When it's all working, then try again with Ubuntu if you absolutely need grub...

well, i got the same error, and it's just changing the flags, i dont think the matter of having grub installed or not would change that

anyways, i used super grub and restored grub

i asked someone, and he said the HFS+ partition error comes from kalaway and having the osx86 in the 2nd partition, i dont know if there's any truth to that though

This guide is for restoring our nice, working hackintosh's darwin bootloader.

Basically, Vista RTM foobars our working MBR's bootloader and you get "HFS+ partition error".

In following, I will assume we have one HDD with two partitions: part#1 = OSX and part#2 = Vista

2. At single user prompt

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 1

update

write

quit

4 reboot

1 In a terminal window,

su root

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 2

quit

2 reboot

Vista will say "\Window\system32\winload" corrupted, and it will tell you to insert Vista disc and recover.

Follow directions from Vista and recover, then reboot. Check Vista boots and works fine.

1. Boot off OSX dvd disc for single user one last time (press F8 and type -s)

2. At single user prompt

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 1

quit

3. reboot

You will discover that Vista recovered and left MBR's darwin bootloader intact :) .

Happy ending.

This guide is not doing anything for me. I installed vista first on my first partition and leopard on the second so i changed the flaging accordingly but i still cant get osx to boot after the first step. Any ideas?

For those of you having such issues, do yourself a favor and get a PARITION BOOT DISC.

I don't care if it's GPARTED, ACRONIS BOOT DISC, whatever...

Then boot with that and flag your OSX partition active.

THEN follow the guide...

When I use the command "su root" I am prompted for a password. I have tried nothing, admin, Admin, my log in pass, however nothing has worked. Am I missing something?

BUMP - I am having the same problem. Any thoughts? BTW OSX on 1, Vista on 2.

This guide is for restoring our nice, working hackintosh's darwin bootloader.

Basically, Vista RTM foobars our working MBR's bootloader and you get "HFS+ partition error".

In following, I will assume we have one HDD with two partitions: part#1 = OSX and part#2 = Vista

2. At single user prompt

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 1

update

write

quit

4 reboot

1 In a terminal window,

su root

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 2

quit

2 reboot

Vista will say "\Window\system32\winload" corrupted, and it will tell you to insert Vista disc and recover.

Follow directions from Vista and recover, then reboot. Check Vista boots and works fine.

1. Boot off OSX dvd disc for single user one last time (press F8 and type -s)

2. At single user prompt

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 1

quit

3. reboot

You will discover that Vista recovered and left MBR's darwin bootloader intact :) .

Happy ending.

Hi,

this works but when i boot vista the error comes again ?

what to do ?

vista partition 1

osx partition 3

??????????? please help :(

• 4 weeks later...

Somewhat related question I think - I have Vista on partition 1, Partition 2 is NTFS disk for data and Partition 3 is OSX

It all works fine except the darwin bootloader defaults to osx if I dont make a choice in 5 seconds (timeout in com.apple.Boot.plist) and I want it to pick Vista. This is primarily a media center machine for my tv and I want to default to vista so my wife does not have to choose at the darwin prompt.

Thanks for the help