FixedSys for OSX

Eidola

16 posts in this topic

Attached to this post is my coversion of FixedSys from Windows to an OSX dfont resource.

Simply extract the FixedSys.dfont file and place in any of the various OSX font directories:

~/Library/Fonts

/System/Library/Fonts

Either of those should work, I am using ~/Library/Fonts myself.

To create this font I converted the Windows FixedSys font into the BDF file format, then using FontForge I re-encoded the font into the MacRoman codepage.

I then created new characters that MacRoman required, including the little apple logo and the omega sign, which took a bit of figuring out as they needed to be placed in a different spot in the character set then expected.

I then created the dfont resource which now gives the OSX the ability to diplay and use the FixedSys from the Windows world... well, I did make a few aesthetic changes... I changed the position of the [] () and {} symbols to correctly line up with the letters instead of looking goofy.

I translated this font over to OSX because quite simply, it is my favourite font for using in the terminal, and since I have been using it for so long, I missed it. :)

I hope this font comes in handy for you and who knows, maybe I will work on a newer version with ANSI character symbols and other unicode characters... though I may make it 9 pixels wide instead of 8... 1 more pixel sure would help a lot. :D

One final note, while the font name is still FixedSys, the default point size is 15 instead of 9... I tried to get the default point size to match but it seems somewhat impossible... if anyone knows how let me know, or is it just because Windows and Macs do things differently?

FixedSys.dfont.zip

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
I spent an hour looking for a version of FixedSys (or any heavy pixelated programming font) that worked in emacs on OS X. Everything always looked so bad until I tried this version out, which is perfect. Thanks a million!

- Tom 7

weird. it looks very blocky for me.

update: rereading the first post and using default point size as 15 solved the problem. Thanks much!

• 5 months later...

Thank you SO MUCH! AWESOME!!!

PS When using in Terminal, make sure you deselect "use bold fonts" so that you can see all the proper detail in the characters. As well I used a Character spacing of 1.08 for a more retro look.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently converted an old Amiga font (Xen) which is in my opinion the best and most legiable fixed width fonts I've ever seen.

I'd been using it with Geektool, but after 10.6.3 update it doesn't display correctly, I think it may be something I did wrong in the conversion, likely a spacing issue or something.

I've attached my dfont as well as the source .fon file I converted in hope that somoene can assist me in converting it properly.

xen.zip

Here is an image showing the font, as well as the issue since 10.6.3 update (top of text get's cut off on the first row)

post-1507-1270615722_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...