[pre-release] macOS High Sierra 10.13.4

MaLd0n
456 posts in this topic

Hi guys

I've never opted into a macOS beta before. Could someone confirm I should do it via the full method, enrolling at https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/ ?

In an earlier post I saw a command line version, but then a later post from Pavo seemed to indicate the resulting full installer might not work and might be only for iMac Pro?  I'm on a MacPro 5.1 install.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, TheBloke said:

Hi guys

I've never opted into a macOS beta before. Could someone confirm I should do it via the full method, enrolling at https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/ ?

In an earlier post I saw a command line version, but then a later post from Pavo seemed to indicate the resulting full installer might not work and might be only for iMac Pro?  I'm on a MacPro 5.1 install.

Thanks

You can Try this script for download Beta Installer.app

sudo path to installinstallmacos.py

https://github.com/munki/macadmin-scripts/blob/master/installinstallmacos.py

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheBloke said:

Awesome! Thanks for the super fast reply :)

After downloading installer you will have Image .dmg of installer.app

After downloading  you can remove content folder in User/TheBloke this contain the strore file for downloading

Edited by chris1111
  • Like 1

Just now, chris1111 said:

After downloading installer you will have Image .dmg of installer.app

you can remove content folder in User/TheBloke this contain the strore file for downloading

Lovely, thanks again.  It's downloading it now.  Really nice tool.

There is one minor issue: the software catalog the script accesses appears to only have beta 3: 

3    091-71284    10.13.4  17E160g  Install macOS High Sierra Beta

B4 was 17E170c and B5 is 17E182a, but it doesn't list these.

I wonder whether I will get ability to update through App Store after applying the Beta 3 installer?  Or if that still needs full opt-in?

4 minutes ago, TheBloke said:

There is one minor issue: the software catalog the script accesses appears to only have beta 3: 

3    091-71284    10.13.4  17E160g  Install macOS High Sierra Beta

B4 was 17E170c and B5 is 17E182a, but it doesn't list these.

I wonder whether I will get ability to update through App Store after applying the Beta 3 installer?  Or if that still needs full opt-in?

Its Beta 4  10.13.4  17E160g  Install macOS High Sierra Beta

You have to Update Beta 10.  13 .4 Beta 5 after :D

Edit  **** From AppStore 

Edited by chris1111

Just now, chris1111 said:

Its Beta 4  10.13.4  17E160g  Install macOS High Sierra Beta

You have to Update Beta after :D

Oh, I thought I read 160g was B3.    Ok that's great, thanks :)  I am going to apply it on my second SSD on a backup install, and will go try now.  Thanks again!

1 minute ago, TheBloke said:

Oh, I thought I read 160g was B3.    Ok that's great, thanks :)  I am going to apply it on my second SSD on a backup install, and will go try now.  Thanks again!

maybe 3 or 4 not sure but you have to installing latest Update from appstore after installing this

This is the latest Installer Beta

• Like 1

Right, upgraded my backup SSD successfully.  As @chris1111 said, the Beta 3 installer downloaded with the script enabled me to use App Store to upgrade to Beta 5.  

No problems in installing either version, except a 'white screen on boot' issue related to graphics, explaned below.

Here's my quick Beta 5 report for my X58 MP 5.1 system with Radeon 7970 3GB graphics:

• General: can't see any notable changes in my 10 minutes of testing. Software seems fine.
    • USB is also fine - but I didn't need port unlocked patch before, so I guess this doesn't apply on an X58 anyway.
  • Graphics:
    • Twice on boot (once during B5 installer, once after B5 was installed) I got a white screen on one monitor when transitioning from the Apple logo progress bar to the Login screen.   
      • This white screen normally flashes there for a moment before login appears, but this time it just stayed there and never went away.  I had to reboot.
      • That was without WEG installed; after I installed WEG it didn't happen the next two reboots.  I need to test this further.
    • My GeekBench 4 Metal score has gone up from 57,000 to 118,000 !!!  This is an incredible difference.
    • Unfortunately it didn't solve my problem of only two connectors (out of six on my card) getting a picture on boot.
      • My 7970 has six ports, and I have five monitors connected
      • At boot, I get a picture on only two monitors; the other three have signal and appear correctly in System Report and Displays, but are black.
      • I can resolve this with sleep/wake - after a wake, all monitors get a picture until next reboot.
    • I can now sleep/wake without WEG installed
      • In 10.13.3, I can only wake with WEG installed - without it installed, all monitors show no signal after a wake and I have to reboot
      • It also seemed faster to wake up in 10.13.4 than it was in .3

In summary, I get two good changes:  GeekBench 4 Metal score has doubled, which is amazing, and I can now resume from sleep without WEG installed.

However I also have this 'white screen on boot' issue, which possibly requires WEG to be installed to fix.  In any case I can't see any downside to having WEG, so I will continue to use it.

I still need to try and resolve my black-screens-before-sleep issue, which I have tried and failed to fix with a patched FB.  I am still working on that, and I haven't yet tried a custom SSDT.   Anyway it's not related to 10.13.4.

10.13.4 is definitely already a great upgrade for me because of this HW Accel boost, so tomorrow I will apply it on my main SSD and do more detailed testing.

Edited by TheBloke
  • Like 1

I've just done the upgrade to B5 on my main SSD.  All smooth again.

Two more graphical observations:

1. Another fix, that I forgot to mention earlier: HDMI/DP audio now works OOB on my 7970.  I didn't have this at all in 10.13.3.
    1. I never tried to fix it in 10.13.3 because I use a USB soundcard and don't really need HDMI/DP audio, so I don't know if it would have been fixable.
    2. But it's great it's now working OOB - in Audio I now see options for my TV and two of my monitors, and all work fine.
  2. I've done a few more before/after GPU benchmarks, and here are the results:
    1. 10.13.3, from boot (pre-sleep):
      1. Luxmark: 2,700
      2. GB4 Metal: 44,000
    2. 10.13.3, after sleep/wake:
      1. Luxmark: 7,300
      2. GB4 Metal: 58,000
      3. GB4 OpenCL: 59,600
    3. 10.13.4, both from boot and after sleep/wake:
      1. Luxmark: 10,700
      2. GB4 Metal: 118,500
      3. GB4 OpenCL: 116,250

So the massive increase in HW accel performance is confirmed across LuxMark and GB4, and applies both to OpenCL and Metal.   And this benchmarking also caused me to notice an even bigger problem in 10.13.3 I didn't spot before - that before a sleep/wake cycle, accel was even worse.  2700 in Luxmark! 

In 10.13.4 this need to sleep/wake to fix Accel has gone away, and beyond that there's a massive overall boost to GPU performance: in GB4 both Metal and OpenCL scores double; in LuxMark, OpenCL increases by about 50%.

I wondered if this performance difference was because in 10.13.3 my 7970 wasn't using all compute units (an issue I've read about on AMD GPUs), but LuxMark shows 32 Compute Units in both 10.13.3 and 10.13.4.  But maybe it wasn't actually using all of them, even though it listed them?

This is really nice.  Of course it's a shame that the one problem I knew about and really hoped would be fix - use of all 6 ports from boot - remains unchanged.  But that's also trivial and quick to fix after each boot with a sleep/wake cycle, so it's no big deal.  And I'm still hopeful that I'll one day find the right FB patch, or that an SSDT will fix it.

All in all: very pleased with the 10.13.4 upgrade!

Edited by TheBloke
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheBloke said:

All in all: very pleased with the 10.13.4 upgrade!

Having said that..

Actually I'm a bit disappointed with the general graphical performance.  I'm seeing occasional instances of UI lag.  It's a little like I saw when using my NVidia 760.  Using UI animations like Mission Control, Move Left a Space, etc - things that animate the whole screen - will occasionally judder.  And the full screen video I almost always have playing on one screen will often skip for 0.5-2 seconds when I perform such an action on another screen.  That was a common occurrence using NVidia, but almost completely went away when I switched to AMD.  Now I'm seeing it again.

This is pretty weird - my 3D acceleration performance has nearly doubled, but the general UI is definitely more sluggish. 

I am pushing my GPU pretty hard in terms of number of screens (five) and total desktop space (8,880 pixels wide, and 2100-2400 pixels tall).   Also, according to iStat Menus I am using nearly all my GPU's 3GB of RAM:

6hD3WSAt.png

Still, nothing has changed in my desktop configuration between 10.13.3 and 10.13.4, so something has definitely changed in the beta.  I hope these are beta issues and it will be fixed by the full release.  (Maybe there's extra debug/logging type stuff in the beta that could account for slowdowns?  I've never tried a macOS beta before so I don't know how they handle stuff like that.)

I have also found one application incompatibility, but a very niche one.  I can no longer use Duet to add an extra (sixth) display using my iPad - it usually crashes when I connect my iPad, or else it displays no picture.  I imagine that's just related to Duet itself rather than anything general in the OS.

On 2/12/2018 at 12:51 AM, fabiosun said:

new okrasit patches for EIST for 10.13.4 beta (performance fix if EIST is enabled in bios)

All credits goes to PMHeart which discovered new kernel locations   :)

Thank you

in kernel section

find
C1E30848 63D389D0 48C1EA20 B9990100 000F3048 FF05C940 6E004883 C4085B5D C3662E0F 1F840000 000000

repl
BB00FF00 004863D3 89D048C1 EA20B999 0100000F 3048FF05 C9406E00 4883C408 5B5DC390 90909090 909090

@fabiosun Where is the source of this info from PMHeart?

10 hours ago, taylorsyn said:

@fabiosun Where is the source of this info from PMHeart?

Hi

private conversation from her blog email

by the way

patch is not working by now with latest beta

Edited by Guest