Installing on SSD

3 posts in this topic

Hello there. I am having an issue that I am not quite sure where to go from here.

About a month ago I was up and running with High Sierra running on an SSD. Then a week or two later (after what I can only assume was an nVidia web driver update), I was unable to start the OS. I was getting an Apple loading screen and that would eventually, after several minutes, supposedly go into High Sierra. I have three monitors and all of them would exit from power save mode and go into a ready state, however would be all black and a cursor on the main monitor. I would be able to move it but as soon as I click the mouse button it would disappear leaving me with all black screens and input being unresponsive.

Luckily I have a second drive as a backup macOS installation for situations like this so I can boot into it and make changes to fix what ever I need to. Nothing that I tried would let me boot into the SSD High Sierra.

After some playing around, and making some deals with the devil, I have completely updated my backup hard drive to High Sierra, including the recent supplemental software update and nVidia web drivers. However, I still cannot get my SSD drive to start like it should. I have tried doing a complete reinstall, and restored from several Time Machine backups from a varying degree of dates. However, at best, I get the Apple loading screen, it slowly fills up after starting halfway through, and then all of the monitors power into a ready state with just a cursor on black screen. And still, as soon as I click the mouse button the cursor disappears.

The SSD is converted to AFPS and I can copy two and from the drive. It was working before from the get-go, only stopping a couple of weeks after upgrading. Is there something else I could be missing that would make it run properly from a normal HDD and not SSD?

Thank you!

Luckily I have a second drive as a backup macOS installation for situations like this

So were you attempting to install High Sierra on the 2nd SSD or did you upgrade to High Sierra on the main drive and use the 2nd drive to restore your main drive?  I've been trying to installl High Sierra on my 2nd drive to no avail.  How did your install go?