x79 iMac Pro

AssafNegev

8 posts in this topic

Hi everybody,
Is it possible the get an x79 system to work as iMac Pro?

i'v upgraded my GPU to a RX Vega 56, it works well for most of my needs when i'm setup as a MacPro6,1.
the thing is i also use blender for 3d work and the GPU rendering is bad. i've seen benchmark of a real iMacPro that is getting close to windows rendering performance. 

for now i'm on windows :(
thanks

Hi everybody,

Is it possible the get an x79 system to work as iMac Pro?

i'v upgraded my GPU to a RX Vega 56, it works well for most of my needs when i'm setup as a MacPro6,1.

the thing is i also use blender for 3d work and the GPU rendering is bad. i've seen benchmark of a real iMacPro that is getting close to windows rendering performance.

for now i'm on windows :(

thanks

Was there meant to be a question in that?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

well yes, there is a question, at the start 

"Is it possible the get an x79 system to work as iMac Pro?"

Changing the SMBIO won't increase the performance, iMac Pro has Intel XEON W (Skylake Architecture) processors with 8 Cores and DDR4 Memory with a Vega 56 or 64 GPU (Based on the config)

Using the SMBIOS in a hackintosh will provide the correct power management for CPU and compatibility between macOS and the Hardware.

If you need a better performance you might need to upgrade your hardware.

What are your hardware specs? can you update your signature with the hardware specs?

• Like 1

What are your hardware specs? can you update your signature with the hardware specs?

updated my signature.

my hardware is : intel i7-4930k, asus sabertooth x79, 16GB DDR3 1600, RX Vega 56.

i'm not expecting to top the performance of the iMacPro just get close to the performance i get on windows.

i think the SMBIOS set to Mac Pro 6.1 has performance issues with the RX Vega 56. the render times on the GPU are tripled. 

i know Blender has some issues withe OpenCL on mac but after seeing the benchmarks of a real iMac pro i the issues are not too bad as i see on my system.

updated my signature.

my hardware is : intel i7-4930k, asus sabertooth x79, 16GB DDR3 1600, RX Vega 56.

i'm not expecting to top the performance of the iMacPro just get close to the performance i get on windows.

i think the SMBIOS set to Mac Pro 6.1 has performance issues with the RX Vega 56. the render times on the GPU are tripled. 

i know Blender has some issues withe OpenCL on mac but after seeing the benchmarks of a real iMac pro i the issues are not too bad as i see on my system.

Well, thanks for updating your signature.

Remember that you shouldn't compare windows and macOS benchmarks because there will be major differences between them.

Honestly I never used blender and I don't do video editing or render animations, but if your EFI folder is correctly optimized and if you are using all the right kexts and settings the performance on macOS will be improved. If you are using a patched DSDT for your mainboard and if you are using the correct SSDTs for your CPU the system will be more stable and the SpeedStepping will work much better, although Clover does a great job in order to manage the CPU SpeedStepping.

Which software did you use to do the benchmarking? can you post the benchmark results here?

I know not to compare the systems but in this case the gap is is very wide.

my system is stable (used rampage dev guide) and i get good performance just not in blender.

i'm using blender to benchmark:

on windows:

RRir5UW.jpg

on mac:

PERT5YN.jpg

i saw this on blender artists forum

pnXwrMC.jpg

so i hoped to get better performance with iMac Pro.

• 11 months later...