Clover shows two boot options for Windows EFI

MyTopTen

19 posts in this topic

Hey,

I've recently installed High Sierra fresh and I've been having this problem with clover since. It basically shows two options for booting Windows from the EFI partition (Windows EFI, not OS X's):

- Boot Windows EFI from EFI

- Boot Windows From EFI

Only the first works. So, I figured it would fix the problem if I just turn off all Clover's scan options and then created custom entries for OS X and Windows, but the problem still persists. If I find the UUID of Boot Windows from EFI and hide it in Clover Configurator, it will simply hide both Windows boot options, including my custom entry, so somehow it's getting these two entries from the same partition.

What can I do to fix this issue? Let me know if you need my bootlog or anything.

Best regards.

Hey,

I've recently installed High Sierra fresh and I've been having this problem with clover since. It basically shows two options for booting Windows from the EFI partition (Windows EFI, not OS X's):

- Boot Windows From EFI

Only the first works. So, I figured it would fix the problem if I just turn off all Clover's scan options and then created custom entries for OS X and Windows, but the problem still persists. If I find the UUID of Boot Windows from EFI and hide it in Clover Configurator, it will simply hide both Windows boot options, including my custom entry, so somehow it's getting these two entries from the same partition.

What can I do to fix this issue? Let me know if you need my bootlog or anything.

Best regards.

Use Clover configurator and in Gui create a Custom Entries like this UEFI Internal:

post-748259-0-01464400-1517431142_thumb.png

Check if it worked.

Note: In Custom Entries for Windows 10, set Hidden = No

post-748259-0-65323100-1517431390_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

- Boot Windows From EFI

Best regards.

I am guessing that you are using two drives for Windows and macOS.  If you move the Microsoft folder from the EFI partition on the Windows drive over to the EFI partition on the macOS drive that contains Clover, you can then boot your custom Windows entry selecting the EFI partition of the macOS drive.  You should be able to mount that "No Name" EFI partition on the Windows drive using Clover Configurator.  You then erase the EFI folder on the Windows drive's EFI partition.  You may want to backup these folders before you erase.  After that you can then proceed to hide that partition to remove that "Boot Windows from EFI" icon from the Clover menu as you did before.  Hope this helps.  :thumbsup_anim:

I would like to simply change the name shown under the Clover boot options and am doing something wrong. I believe I have the correct UUID, but I am using APFS and so there are 4 volumes with the same UUID. I tried all four paths but I still have no change in the boot name. I really don't know what more to change.

I've got my diskutil list, my diskutil apfs list, my bootlog and I should be able to do this, but just coming up short. Has anyone done this that can help me figure out what I am doing incorrectly?

Did you install Windows after installing Clover?

Yes I did. I installed MacOSX first and that is when I installed Clover. I can't change either the windows or the mac option.

I'm trying to more understand the nuts and bolts of how Clover works. Would it make a difference in when Clover was installed as to whether it would let me edit the descriptions? If so, can you explain why? It would be good to know.

Thanks

• 6 months later...

I have a similar issue.  I added a custom entry in Clover so I can name it nicely "Windows 10".  This one works fine.  But I also have the duplicate "Boot Windows from EFI" showing, and this one does not boot.  If I add this UUID to the hidden list, then both of them disappear.  I have two separate SATA disks for Windows 10 and macOS.  This is Clover 4658.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This has been driving me nuts all evening, but I've finally sorted it! I signed up to this forum purely so I could post this and hopefully save someone else a headache!

I was having the exact same issue with two volumes showing, which were from the same disk UUID, meaning I couldn't filter them that way, and filtering by name wouldn't work either.

I had assumed that I had already filtered out legacy disks by setting custom scan settings in the GUI section of Clover Configurator and unticking legacy, but then when manually looking through my config file, no mention of legacy anywhere!

The configurator isn't adding anything about legacy to the config file, unless you are closing to enable legacy. If you untick/leave it unticked it removes any mention of legacy from the config rather than changing it to false!

<dict>
			<key>Entries</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Legacy</key>	
			<false/>
			<key>Tool</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>

With legacy false in my config and other volumes filtered by UUID I know just have my boot into windows 10 and boot into OS X options, no third option that doesn't work!!

Edited by mikeoh90
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 9/22/2019 at 5:35 PM, mikeoh90 said:

This has been driving me nuts all evening, but I've finally sorted it! I signed up to this forum purely so I could post this and hopefully save someone else a headache!

I was having the exact same issue with two volumes showing, which were from the same disk UUID, meaning I couldn't filter them that way, and filtering by name wouldn't work either.

I had assumed that I had already filtered out legacy disks by setting custom scan settings in the GUI section of Clover Configurator and unticking legacy, but then when manually looking through my config file, no mention of legacy anywhere!

The configurator isn't adding anything about legacy to the config file, unless you are closing to enable legacy. If you untick/leave it unticked it removes any mention of legacy from the config rather than changing it to false!

<dict>
			<key>Entries</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Legacy</key>	
			<false/>
			<key>Tool</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>

With legacy false in my config and other volumes filtered by UUID I know just have my boot into windows 10 and boot into OS X options, no third option that doesn't work!!

I signed in only to say: thank you so much! I've been struggling with this all day >.<

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2020 at 12:33 PM, kira96 said:

I signed in only to say: thank you so much! I've been struggling with this all day >.<

Thanks man! Really that hit the spot 100%! I was crazy doing everything to get rid off windows volume without names and duplicated. Just unticking and then changing the last true to false under "tool" and everything is fine now.

• 9 months later...

On 9/22/2019 at 10:35 PM, mikeoh90 said:

<dict>
			<key>Entries</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Legacy</key>	
			<false/>
			<key>Tool</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>

Thank you so much! That helped me too!  ( Tool = False )   
(in clover configurator it showed up as false but in the config.plist with textedit it was true... )