Beach Ball on normal boot, but able to boot Safe Mode okay

Deceiver

9 posts in this topic

Hi all,

First time poster, long time lurker.

I got bored this weekend and decided I was going to put High Sierra onto my wife's Asus X54C (Pentium B950, HD 3000 1366x768).

Spent ages trying to get just the installer to boot until I realised it would only do it from the USB 2.0 port  :blush:

Anyway, got it all installed, and I'm now to the point where I'm trying to boot into the fresh install.

On a normal boot, I'm getting nothing but a beach ball of death until I get a KP and it reboot.

If I boot into safe mode, I was able to setup the OS with an account and such that way, but once done I couldn't run the tools to install the bootloader and such.

I believe that I have all the required kexts which are being injected, but my biggest problem is that I have no idea how to find out what's causing the hang and KP, as if I boot verbose it will actually get into the OS in some form.

It'll sit there for quite some time too before it KPs, and it'll get to the point where the screen will go to sleep.

I did originally have a problem where I was getting garbled graphics in place of the black screen, but I seem to have fixed that somehow. I believe that was an outdated IntelGraphicsFixup.kext

Attached is a copy of my clover.plist and the associated kexts in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other

If anyone could shed some light on what I may have missed, it'd be appreciated.

Cheers.  :)

Untitled 8.rtf

post-2372063-0-19134300-1515911746_thumb.png

I see about 4-5 different Ethernet kexts in the other folder, do you know which ethernet you do have, is it realtech or Intel?

Try this use cursor arrows at clover boot screen to go to 

'options" tab hit enter then on the top should be boot arg.   Remove the slide=0 and kext dev mode.   Try a normal boot.

I see about 4-5 different Ethernet kexts in the other folder, do you know which ethernet you do have, is it realtech or Intel?

Thanks for the reply.

I think it's Intel, but can't be certain. There's not a lot of information around about this hardware as I said.

It's made even harder by the fact that the X54C models came with the B950 and an i3 too, which I believe had different WiFi and Ethernet again.

For what it's worth, the way you see it there, the ethernet works in safe mode.

Google and download DPCIManger appp and open it then select PCI list.    Look for the ethernet vendor, device ID and other info.    Take a screenshot by pressing (shift+cmd+3)    you can right click on the eyeball icon on the left side of the ethernet device info and it should show which kext(s) it is using then you can remove the others.

Google and download DPCIManger appp and open it then select PCI list.    Look for the ethernet vendor, device ID and other info.    Take a screenshot by pressing (shift+cmd+3)    you can right click on the eyeball icon on the left side of the ethernet device info and it should show which kext(s) it is using then you can remove the others.

Great, thank you. I'll give that a go and report back.

Okay, so I downloaded DPCIManager. What a great tool.

Here's what I came up with, attached.

For the ethernet eyeball, it popped up a message with this:

Ethernet
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>4b00000001000000010000003f0000000100000002010c00d041080a0000000001010600051c0101060000007fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001</string>
So I'm not entirely sure if that's referring to any kexts at all?

post-2372063-0-88531700-1515926841_thumb.png

post-2372063-0-14935300-1515926849_thumb.png

You can use HWInfo64 (windows version) to know about hardware and put the kexts in the folder accordingly.

you don't need lots on kexts to bootup just fakesmc, voodoops2, usbinjectall, graphicfixup and nullpowermanagement will also do the job.

LAN, wifi & audio kext can be installed afterwords with kextutility.

Make sure to check kernelLapic(Supported by 3rd gen cpu) option instead of XPMC uncheck appleIntelCPUPM.