Newbie Hackintosh Project

felix.rubath

4 posts in this topic

I'm sorry if this doesn't belong here, I'm new to the forum and figuring everything out! :)

So I really want to build a Hackintosh. Not gonna lie: I don't know too much about building computers, I've never really done it.

I don't know anything about BIOS either, the most advanced things I've ever done is swap out the mechanical hard drive for an SSD in my old MacBook and re-installes macOS'es a couple of times when things got too messy.

I currently still have a MacBook as my daily driver, which does the job just fine. I use it for everything (traveling, class, writing, video editing) and it's fine, but I really want a (very powerful) desktop setup.

Like I said, I'm not too good with computers when it comes to building them, but I really want to try it and learn.

I think I need a logic board, SSD, RAM memory, processor (with cooler), a power supply, a graphic card, ... things like that. But I don't know what kinds and brands are compatible with macOS High Sierra...

I'm also not entirely sure on how to build these things.

What I really want is a decent desktop for video editing and a little bit of gaming (using Windows in Parallels or maybe on a partition of the SSD). The more powerful stuff, so I can use my MacBook for sitting in bed, for traveling and in class. So I assume I need a good processor and a dedicated graphic card (not shared, like my MacBook), enough RAM (my MacBook has 16 GB), ...

I think it's better to use modern technology and maybe make it a little overkill, because I want to use this setup for a long time (if that's possible).

Does anybody please know what components I should buy and use (that are compatible) for my setup? I know I didn't really give you a lot of details but it just needs to be better than a standard Mac Pro... I do want to keep it as cheap as possible, but without using used parts and without compromising performance.

What specs would you guys recommend?

Is there a guide somewhere on how to assemble everything and actually get the OS installed and get it to boot?

I'll probably need some drivers as well.

I'm sorry for my very vague question but this is stuck in my mind for a really long time and I just wanna try this and get it started.

Thanks y'all! :D

Happy 2018, by the way!

To add some comment of the right link posted by Hervé : 

I'm agree with you building a Hackintosh for the first time should be difficult.

But with some research you should find your own build.

My small opinion : 

You are a Mac user and the easy way to to run OS X in a hack is to first use a compatible CPU that is natively recognized :

Here  you can find the CPU and other hardware used by Apple for exemple in iMac  ( iMac system definition is often used in Hacintosh ) : https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/index-imac.html

Actually you can use an  Intel Core of 6th , 7th , ( 8th) generation.

Corresponding to the processor you will find the 100/200/(300) series of motherboards.

That is just for beegining and best compatibility,  after this you should add your appropriate hardware ( RAM, SSD, HDD, Nvme, GPU, Wifi, audio, etc...)

in this forum you will find many posts with tutorials for curent configurations (and another way is the signature of the  members with their current configurations).

Other CPU like intel Xeon for exemple or Skylake X series can be used also Pentium, Celeron.

The AMD cpus should be of course very good with the appropriated developement for compatibility you can find here.

In fact you have no limits !

Have a good hackintosh in 2018 ! 

Thanks! I've already seen that page (to kind of see what would be compatible for this little project), but I'm still a newbie and unfortunately don't know what kind of processor would be goud enough for my needs for example, if every processor works with every logic board, ...

Have a good hackintosh in 2018 ! 

Thanks you! That's already a push in the direction I needed to go.

I definitely understand that I can go pretty much anywhere from here, but what I'm really curious about is what kind of hardware do I need to make this successful?

For example, I heard that Apple used OpenGL for video editing. Even though a Hackintosh can outperform any Mac with Geekbench scores, I've seen them being significantly worse when it comes to rendering a video (in let's say Final Cut Pro, which is what I use as well). I was told you should stay away from Nvidia Geforce if you're going to use FCP...

But of course, I don't know anything about these components yet!

I'd like to have a Hackintosh that's a beast at video editing in FCP, and can run a couple of recent games (not much more than GTA 5 for example, but I'd like it to be future proof) - under Windows.

I'm very curious and really want to get this started!

But I lack the experience and intelligence to know or figure out what processor / graphic card / ... is necessary for that... :/

• Like 1

Use mobo Z370, i7 8700K or 8700, AMD/NVIDIA compatible GPU(Nvidia serie 9xx or 10xx, AMD 560+, good perfomance), very good perfomance, full native support, work like a real mac

u can check my tuto here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/321872-guide-sierra-on-gigabyte-mobos-serie-200-kabylake-dsdt/