[BUGS] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB - High Sierra - Multi-Monitor Display

xjenpbm

16 posts in this topic

Greetings! I've been wrestling with this build for about a week now and have it near golden, but I am struggling with the Nvidia graphics card; I purchased the GeForce Gtx 1060 6GB SSC because is was recommended as the go-to card by the TonyMacx86 community on all of their Customac builds, but there doesn't seem to be much support for the card itself. I understand that Nvidia web drivers are relatively new and come with their own issues but I am reaching out to see if anyone has managed to squash these bugs.

THE BUILD

• Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E
  • Intel Core i7-8700k
  • EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC
  • (3) Elite Display E221 (3 Display Port)

THE SETUP

The setup is based on Glasgood's build with the following alterations:

ISSUES

1. [FIXED] System wont boot into GUI while multiple monitors are connected
  2. [FIXED] Glitching and Artifacts during system utilization, randomly
    • SOLUTION
      • See Issue 1
  3. [bUG] Glitching and Artifacts when waking from sleep while one monitor is in use.
    • WORKAROUNDS
      • Turn the monitor OFF and then back ON again
      • Log out and back in again (use the keyboard shortcut "Shift + Opt + Cmd + Q")
  4. [bUG] Black screens when waking from sleep while multiple monitors are in use; no recovery.
    • NO SOLUTION
  5. [FIXED] Stuck at BIOS loading screen when booting up while multiple monitors are in use; no recovery.
    • SOLUTION
      • [bIOS] PRIMARY DISPLAY = PCIE
  6. [bUG] RehabMan's FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext is not reporting correctly (static/maxed values)
    • NO SOLUTION

ATTEMPTS MADE, NO SOLUTION

• Custom DSDT
  • Disable Hibernate
    • sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
      sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage
      sudo touch /private/var/vm/sleepimage
      sudo chflags uchg /private/var/vm/sleepimage

• Updated to the latest version of macOS
    • 10.13.2 (17C205)
  • Updated to the latest kexts
    • NvidiaGraphicsFixUp.kext v1.2.1
    • Lilu.kext v1.2.1
  • Updated to the latest version of Nvidia Web Driver & Cuda Driver
    • 104 (17C205)

config.plist.zip

attachicon.gifDSDT.aml.zip

idk if solve nvidia problem, i think no, just for u use dsdt from ur mobo ;)

DSDT Works great, still no solution to the Nvidia issues. I will look around other communities to see if anyone else has made any headway but it looks to be unanimous that the Nvidia Web Drivers being in Beta still have some faults. Thank you for your support!

I have a GTX 1080 Ti and have the same problem with dual monitor + sleep. Did you manage to fix this?

I solved the other problems you mentioned by adding NvidiaGraphicsFixUp and keeping CSM disabled, FYI

This is still an issue, I am betting it’s an bug in the official Nvidia Web Driver.

I am still unable to boot with multi-monitors while CSM is disabled though so it may be my 1060 6GB SSC + Z370-E seeing as I am also unable to get into BIOS while I have more than one monitor connected.

I just updated my bios to the latest version and will be running some test in the next few days to see what has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a GTX 1080 Ti and have the same problem with dual monitor + sleep. Did you manage to fix this?

I solved the other problems you mentioned by adding NvidiaGraphicsFixUp and keeping CSM disabled, FYI

This is still an issue, I am betting it’s an bug in the official Nvidia Web Driver.

I am still unable to boot with multi-monitors while CSM is disabled though so it may be my 1060 6GB SSC + Z370-E seeing as I am also unable to get into BIOS while I have more than one monitor connected.

I just updated my bios to the latest version and will be running some test in the next few days to see what has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Updated my BIOS to v0606, Nvidia Web Driver to 137.10.10.10.103/104 and I was able to successfully disable CSM. Primary Display = PCIE is still required to get my bios to get past post when multiple monitors are set up. I am going to test out the latest Nvidia Web Graphics kexts to see if any sleep issues have been fixed.

related, I'm wondering what how the UI performance of your 1080 is? I've replaced my Z87 with Z370, modified config.plist accordingly but still I have the same problems, very stuttery performance in the UI, as reported in the other communities also.

It's very visible with something like this: http://madebyevan.com/webgl-water/- pauses every second or two for 500ms or so. 

related, I'm wondering what how the UI performance of your 1080 is? I've replaced my Z87 with Z370, modified config.plist accordingly but still I have the same problems, very stuttery performance in the UI, as reported in the other communities also.

It's very visible with something like this: http://madebyevan.com/webgl-water/- pauses every second or two for 500ms or so. 

Hmmm, I see the same issue with my 1060 along with the provided animation but the UI is hardly effected on my end, sometimes once or twice I got glitches or artifacts randomly like with the Ginnie effect in the dock.

[bUG] FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext is not reporting correctly (static/maxed values)
  • NO SOLUTION

My version HWSensors3 has support for Nvidia 1060 card while "FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext" no.

The link is in my signature.

• Like 2

My version HWSensors3 has support for Nvidia 1060 card while "FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext" no.

The link is in my signature.

e242f15c5f73d8e628f49fd942de2c18.jpg

Yikes!

Updates:

• Perhaps a conflict with the FakeSMC.kext thats on my EFI? Managed to remove the kext's installed by your installer to get back in and will systematically include them with the rest of my kexts on the EFI drive to see if the problem still occurs.
  • It is definitely "GeforceSensor.kext
    • post-1601531-0-47118800-1516262051_thumb.png

Hey dpgowan! I have almost the same build as you. 

Did you try to do the ssdt usb .aml file?

If yes can you share the file here?

And if not maybe we can try to do this together?

Here's my build:

CPU - Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler - be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3

Motherboard - Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING

Memory - Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000

Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000

Storage - Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Video Card - Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING

Case - Thermaltake Core X71 Tempered Glass Edition ATX Full Tower Case

Power Supply - EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum

Everything work fine except for the sleep wake. I can't do anything and my screen is noisy. So i have to reboot every time. I've try to change the darkwake settings without success.

Thank you. 

Hey dpgowan! I have almost the same build as you. 

Did you try to do the ssdt usb .aml file?

If yes can you share the file here?

And if not maybe we can try to do this together?

Here's my build:

CPU - Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler - be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3

Motherboard - Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING

Memory - Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000

Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000

Storage - Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Video Card - Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING

Case - Thermaltake Core X71 Tempered Glass Edition ATX Full Tower Case

Power Supply - EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum

Everything work fine except for the sleep wake. I can't do anything and my screen is noisy. So i have to reboot every time. I've try to change the darkwake settings without success.

Thank you. 

I swapped for an AMD GPU due to some other Nvidia related errors (FXF RX 580) but it has its own sleep problems with an issue in the AMD9500Controller.kext that I am still working on.

No need for a SSDT-USB.aml any longer as USBInjectAll.kext can be configured via Clover to not inject ports with an argument on boot.

1. [Clover Configuratior] Boot / Custom Flags
    1. Copy and Paste the following into "Custom Flags"
      1. uia_exclude=HS01;HS02;HS11;SS01;SS02;SS03;SS04;SS07;SS08;SS09;SS10
  2. [Clover Configuratior] Kernel and Kext Patches / KextsToPatch
    1. Set "AppleUSBXHCIPCI - Change 15 Port Limit" to "Disable"

The ports "HS01;HS02;HS11;SS01;SS02;SS03;SS04;SS07;SS08;SS09;SS10" are what did not populate in IORegistry when I tested every port on the MB which incidentally enough ended up under the 15 port threshold for macOS. However I need someone to test the USB-C port in the back to see if it still works and report back with the port number to adjust. See if that works for you.

Edit: On another note I manage to get sleep wake to somewhat work for a couple hours on the GTX 1060 using DarkWake=2 but if it slept more than two hours I was back to square one.

• Like 1

I swapped for an AMD GPU due to some other Nvidia related errors (FXF RX 580) but it has its own sleep problems with an issue in the AMD9500Controller.kext that I am still working on.

No need for a SSDT-USB.aml any longer as USBInjectAll.kext can be configured via Clover to not inject ports with an argument on boot.

1. [Clover Configuratior] Boot / Custom Flags
    1. Copy and Paste the following into "Custom Flags"
      1. uia_exclude=HS01;HS02;HS11;SS01;SS02;SS03;SS04;SS07;SS08;SS09;SS10
  2. [Clover Configuratior] Kernel and Kext Patches / KextsToPatch
    1. Set "AppleUSBXHCIPCI - Change 15 Port Limit" to "Disable"

The ports "HS01;HS02;HS11;SS01;SS02;SS03;SS04;SS07;SS08;SS09;SS10" are what did not populate in IORegistry when I tested every port on the MB which incidentally enough ended up under the 15 port threshold for macOS. However I need someone to test the USB-C port in the back to see if it still works and report back with the port number to adjust. See if that works for you.

Edit: On another note I manage to get sleep wake to somewhat work for a couple hours on the GTX 1060 using DarkWake=2 but if it slept more than two hours I was back to square one.

A big thanks for that I will keep you posted if I could make all work.