Possible fix for RX Vega fan speed issue

kn6600

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I managed to fix fun issue on Vega card with modification of Info.plist from AMD10000Controller.kext.

Change value for "PP_PhmUseDummyBackEnd" from 0 to 1 ( to enable Dummy Backend).

With this I don't have flashing power leds and fans are normal.

- edit

Fans are ok but youtube is hanging on 1440p , please check.

• Like 4

This method works well. My vega 64 does not flash, the fan is normal.

Thank you!

Do not know whether to use clover to achieve change

safari only supports 1440p

youtube 4K Please use Chrome

Fix this file, GPU up to 1Ghz Geekbench Score 136XXX

This seems regrettable

No fix, GPU up to 1.765Ghz Geekbench Score 209XXX

(I can not upload pictures)

Edited by mrmggo
  • Like 1

This method works well. My vega 64 does not flash, the fan is normal.
Thank you!
Do not know whether to use clover to achieve change

safari only supports 1440p
youtube 4K Please use Chrome

Fix this file, GPU up to 1Ghz Geekbench Score 136XXX
This seems regrettable
No fix, GPU up to 1.765Ghz Geekbench Score 209XXX

(I can not upload pictures)

So its dropping your frequency?    Wonder if another value could be used or if following this edit to source and looking in the RadeonxController to adjust values manually?

Here is a pic of the fix using xCode.  

post-1753549-0-37558700-1514568082_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So its dropping your frequency?    Wonder if another value could be used or if following this edit to source and looking in the RadeonxController to adjust values manually?

Here is a pic of the fix using xCode.  

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-12-29 at 8.36.54 AM.png

:( Bad news,if you use amd graphics driver from bootcamp driver in Windows,the fan also in high speed like it in macOS 10.13.2

It seems that the apple is doing this on purpose.

I found a quite interesting way of enabling the Vega frontiers fan control under 10.13.3. Apparently, if a opencl or metal thread is started, the fan noise lowers immediately. The thread doesn’t have to do something actively, it’s enough that it is started. While watching a YouTube video I noticed the fan slowing down to complete silence.

This works also if you open a mp4 video in QuickTime and leave it paused in the background.

I automated this by writing this into a script:

open /path/to/yourvideo.mp4 --hide

I saved the file as silencing.command and added it to the startup section of the system settings under “user”.

This way the video is started automatically at boot and put to background. The video won’t playback automatically so no disturbing noise or performance draw. In order to make the terminal window close automatically after it has been opened, open terminal settings and under the window section you can tell terminal to close window upon successful exit.

Enjoy.

I found a quite interesting way of enabling the Vega frontiers fan control under 10.13.3. Apparently, if a opencl or metal thread is started, the fan noise lowers immediately. The thread doesn’t have to do something actively, it’s enough that it is started. While watching a YouTube video I noticed the fan slowing down to complete silence.

This works also if you open a mp4 video in QuickTime and leave it paused in the background.

I automated this by writing this into a script:

open /path/to/yourvideo.mp4 --hide

I saved the file as silencing.command and added it to the startup section of the system settings under “user”.

This way the video is started automatically at boot and put to background. The video won’t playback automatically so no disturbing noise or performance draw. In order to make the terminal window close automatically after it has been opened, open terminal settings and under the window section you can tell terminal to close window upon successful exit.

Enjoy.

This GPU temperature will be abnormal