Natit for TV out?

looper

35 posts in this topic

I know it's probably too early to ask this but could these developments eventually lead to the TV out on cards like the XFX GeForce 7600 GS being usable? or is this function a whole different ball of wax?

I'd like to think I'd be able to hook up an HTPC like Munkey's doing using the TV out.

I suppose I could connect one of the DVI ports to an LCD TV, that might be even better in terms of quality anyways.

Thoughts?

It's not too early to ask as I got dual displays (my flat screen LCD monitor w/ my TV via TV-Out S-Video) working tonight on my NVidia GeForce 6600 PCIe card using the dual-display Nanit.kext v0.2 posted here by Bofors. I just put it in my Extensions folder w/o any modifications and it worked as-is.

I have onboard GMA 950 also so I've been using QE/CI ever since osx86 came out. I've always wanted to get tv-out working in osx86 but since Nvidia drivers never existed until now that wasn't an option. Thus I was so happy when omni released Titan.kext and was equally happy when it worked to give me QE/CI right out of the box. I thought I would have to use XP to get tv-out but thought I'd give the dual display Nanit.kext driver a shot and low and behold it works. I can't be any happier. Time for bed now. Thanks to all who make osx86 and all projects a success.

Wow that's awesome! Really good stuff.

I'd better scrape some cash together for a that new card, I'm so damn tired of sitting in my office chair to watch movies on the computer screen-

I should be on the sofa watching movies, where man was meant to be!

If you notice any problems or glitches let us know when/if you have a chance

Cheers

It's not too early to ask as I got dual displays (my flat screen LCD monitor w/ my TV via TV-Out S-Video) working tonight on my NVidia GeForce 6600 PCIe card using the dual-display Nanit.kext v0.2 posted here by Bofors. I just put it in my Extensions folder w/o any modifications and it worked as-is.

Thanks for the report.

I'm on a AMD SSE2 machine and I use Titan.kext. Well, I don't have QE/CI enabled (normal) but I'm interrested in TV output. Today I have to boot my computer with my main monitor unplugged to get something on TV (else I only get a black screen).

I just want to know if dual display of Natit can work on a SSE2 (AMD) machine (meaning that I don't have the last kernel).

Does someone experienced it?

Wow that's awesome! Really good stuff.

I'd better scrape some cash together for a that new card, I'm so damn tired of sitting in my office chair to watch movies on the computer screen-

I should be on the sofa watching movies, where man was meant to be!

If you notice any problems or glitches let us know when/if you have a chance

Cheers

I didn't mention it before but mirroring doesn't work with 0.2 posted by bofors. So the TV becomes the 2nd display (extended) so I can drag windows from the monitor to the TV.

I tried the latest driver posted here by dm_webd in post #1 and notice boot-up time for display recognition seems a bit faster but there are a few problems with it.

* First of all, my TV becomes the main display. I don't know it it matters but the TV is connected to the Nvidia via S-VIDEO cable even before OSX boots.

* My LCD connected via analog VGA connector doesn't give me all resolutions in OSX (It's missing 1280x1024).

* The mouse doesn't show up on the LCD monitor when I move it there from the TV.

* Unlike 0.2, mirroring does work using the default vales in Natit Info.plist.

I fixed the first 3 problems (most annoying and I don't care about mirroring now) by removing the EDID key & data fields from the Natit Info.plist so the entriesToAdd section matches the 0.2 one posted by bofors. Now maybe stuff might change if I connect my TV after OSX boots and try to detect the TV but haven't tried this yet. Also stuff might change if I find the correct EDID strings for my card.

Hmm, I guess I wasn't thinking about this right, since I don't have the dual card yet, but I guess I wanted to be able to watch movies on the TV screen while still having a usable computer screen on my regular computer monitor, (ie, pause movie, check email- go back to watching movie all without having to mess with video settings in control panel etc.)

But I guess for proper ouput to your TV yes you would need mirroring, thanks for the correction myzar.

Also I noticed in Mplayer for OSX that there is a setting in the preferences "force fullscreen output to second display" - maybe when/if the mirroring issue gets sorted someone could try that out and see if it works for movies. Just a thought.

Cheers

I get the same LedY posted, i dunno why the other guy doesn't care but the only option that makes sense in a tvout is mirroring , why would you want to span your desktop on a tv ?

if you still want to use your pc during running movies through tvout ext. desktop makes sense

well i dont know how it is handled on a real mac, tripple head would be nice - i am thinking about a little independend screen of whats running on your tv so you can still use your dual ext. desktop plus a third tv out screen :D

I discovered that the 'Detect Displays' option won't detect my TV once OSX is up and running. Thus, to get output on the TV, I needed to have the s-video cable connected to my TV (I'm guessing it must be powered on and not just have the cable connected?) and then boot osx. I'm not sure how it's suppose to work but I'm guessing the 'Detect Displays' option should cause the video card driver (in this case Natit.kext) to probe the ports on the video card and activate them just like it does at kext loading.

I like the extended desktop option for the same reason as looper...to be able to play a tv show or movie on the TV and be able to work on the computer monitor to do other things.

Guest bikedude880

I've got full non-mirrored display on my PNY GeForce 7300 GS using VGA out and S-Video/RCA. Works like a champ.

EDIT: Mirroring also works fine.

I discovered that the 'Detect Displays' option won't detect my TV once OSX is up and running. Thus, to get output on the TV, I needed to have the s-video cable connected to my TV (I'm guessing it must be powered on and not just have the cable connected?) and then boot osx. I'm not sure how it's suppose to work but I'm guessing the 'Detect Displays' option should cause the video card driver (in this case Natit.kext) to probe the ports on the video card and activate them just like it does at kext loading.

It's important to note that Natit is not a driver. It just places values needed by the actual drivers into the IORegistry. The display detection is done by NVDAResman.kext as far as I know. I haven't got it to do anything but flicker the displays. If I plug a monitor in after boot, it is autodetected so I don't need to use detect displays - but it would be nice if it could detect a connected TV, but all experiments I've tried has failed to achieve this. But it's nice to hear that people have had success with getting TV-out to work - that means it's possible, but perhaps not all encoder chips are supported in the driver, although strings from NVDAResman suggests that nVidia, Chrontel, BT and others could be detected.

that means it's possible, but perhaps not all encoder chips are supported in the driver, although strings from NVDAResman suggests that nVidia, Chrontel, BT and others could be detected.

is this referring to chips in the TV?

is this referring to chips in the TV?

No, it is the chip on the graphics card responsible for creating the svhs and composite signal. Boards from different vendors use different chips for this - at least for some of the cards. My 7600GT uses an nVidia chip, and I suspect most newer cards does too, but I'm not sure.

Anyone who has tv-out working could you report back which encoder chip is used? (This can be checked in windows in the first page of the nVidia control panel)

No, it is the chip on the graphics card responsible for creating the svhs and composite signal. Boards from different vendors use different chips for this - at least for some of the cards. My 7600GT uses an nVidia chip, and I suspect most newer cards does too, but I'm not sure.

Anyone who has tv-out working could you report back which encoder chip is used? (This can be checked in windows in the first page of the nVidia control panel)

I have the PNY 7900GS. Without the latest natit patch TV out works at 1024x768 no QE/CI, and even though I have it hooked up to the card's TV Out with the cable that converts it to Component Output, the signal is not HD. Meaning, I think it just converts a composite signal to a component video out.

When I install the latest natit patch (or at least as of last night), the TV out function works at boot up, but then screen goes black and doesn't resume.

On the other hand, my DVI is working and the DVI > HDMI cable is doing a good job. The problem is my TV only has 2 HDMI inputs and unfortunately both are already used. I would really LOVE to get TV out working in 1080i, at least, but would settle for 1024x768 with QE/CI.

Anyone have the TV out (to component video) working on the PNY 7900GS with QE/CI enabled? If so, can you post here how?

Thanks!

/mdg

TV encoder type for my GeForce 6600 is: NVIDIA Integrated

so it's just like yours dm_webd.

Also, it took me a while to find this info from the Nvidia control panel so just fyi: it's under the Help->System Information

and the answer is in class called "NVDAUser" , IOUserClient for NVDA ( NVDAResman )

this is basically allow you play/set/modifity a lot nvidia settings

outside kernel ie user program , control panel ..etc

i don't know how much of features apple do add to it and ioconnection's are unknown "yet", but generally

that class is used to control NV card's , include fan control, overclock ..etc

funny is i never seen/listen any apple control applet or software to use it - it's can be for developers only to debug/setup card /driver for test outside kernel

also i do see in same class is used to set TV out system and a lot more things

some one of you can focus on create simple application or control panel for it and try to discover all ioconnecton methods used/supported

all values set there go to NVRAM ( missing on any hackingtosh)

good to explore in future

GeForce FX 5500:

Chipset Model: GeForce FX 5500

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0326

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Philips 170C5:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Television:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Interlaced: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Television: Yes

Using Natit_edited my XFX Geforce 6500 TurboCache works with VGA ang TV-out *or* DVI only. Will check my encoder-chip and report back. Does anyone know how to get DVI and TV-out??

EDIT: Uhuummm.. I'm also using an edited SMBios (for "About this Mac") so maybe I should change back to the original one to get it working??

By the way, could you please state what brand / model you have? I.e. not only Geforce 6600 etc...

Thanks!

I don't think it is possible to have more than 2 monitors at the same time, not with any os.

It is because almost every video card only has 2 RAMDAC's and therefore only can generate to video signals at the same time (correct me if I'm wrong)